Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Facebook Messenger Peer-to-Peer Payments - Debit Card Only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facebook Messenger Peer-to-Peer Payments - Debit Card Only

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Has anybody gotten a OV or other VGC to work?

I have a PPBDMC that I only load with $1000 each month for RB loading, but if this works, I'm going to scale up.
I don't think VGCs are going to work. It's my understanding that users don't actually have an account into which money is deposited or from which money can be sent. Instead, the funds are taken directly from the bank account associated with the payor's debit card and deposited directly into the payee's bank account.

Last edited by kharlamov; Jun 23, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by kharlamov
I don't think VGCs are going to work. It's my understanding that users don't actually have an account into which money is deposited or from which money can be sent. Instead, the funds are taken directly from the bank account associated with the payor's debit card and deposited directly into the payee's bank account.
Interesting. Is this also the reason why online gift card loads have never worked for Serve, Redbird, etc...? Would make sense.

If it's as simple as discriminating by the first 4 numbers on the card I am unsure why gift cards have not been hard coded out at WM, Target, etc...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Interesting. Is this also the reason why online gift card loads have never worked for Serve, Redbird, etc...? Would make sense.

If it's as simple as discriminating by the first 4 numbers on the card I am unsure why gift cards have not been hard coded out at WM, Target, etc...
Because you have to match "if" and "or" into the POS system. Walmart does and should accept VGC for regular purchases. Many of the VGC holders are using it for day to day purchases. Walmat does not want us to use VGC to load prepaid cards and that is hard to program into the POS system across all registers in the entire country, some are old and some are new.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:21 pm

Does anyone know what's the allowed maximum amount per transaction?

I am using PPBDMC. I tired $600-ish and it got denied, then it work with $299.99; however, it was pending for least 6 hours till now. Small amounts like $1~20 got through immediately. I would like to know if anyone have this kind of info/data point?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by kharlamov
It posts as a debit card transaction.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Looks like Miles to Memories tested prepaid. No dice. See here: http://milestomemories.boardingarea....comment-299389

How does recipient cash out?
Are there limits? Per transaction/day/month?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by huynhc
has anyone tried with suntrust and/or ufb debit cards?
I'm going to do it, but I want to know about recipient cash out and limits first.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Looks like Miles to Memories tested prepaid. No dice. See here: http://milestomemories.boardingarea....comment-299389

How does recipient cash out?
Are there limits? Per transaction/day/month?
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm going to do it, but I want to know about recipient cash out and limits first.
Well, just saw this: "The money is then transferred through Facebook, which holds the money for “seconds” before sending it along to the other user’s bank, according to Facebook product manager Steve Davis. If the recipient doesn’t have a card attached to his or her account, Facebook will hold the money until they’ve set one up." here: http://recode.net/2015/03/17/faceboo...ments-feature/

I'll try this weekend.

UPDATE: Sent $20 to spouse. Set up point debit on send end and debit from different bank on receiving end. Went through fine. See charge on sending debit but nothing yet on receiving debit. I'd like to do 1k here and there but am going to wait to see if it deposits freely into receiving debit account. And I'm thinking you should do a smaller amount first, then wait a few days and do build up. If they see you over a few days charging to fb, then the larger charge won't as easily be assumed to be fraud. FYI: I did get several error messages when adding debit to payment account. Eventually it stuck. But I should note that I could only add a debit that matched my name on fb. I tried adding a debit to another name and it never stuck.

Update #2: $20 posted as "VISA RETURN" on receiving debit account. On sending debit, posted as FB JANE DOE (recipients name).

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jun 29, 2015 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:07 pm

Looks like I can add a credit card too on facebook payments! On the Add Payment method, it says add debit or credit card. I added a Vanilla Visa card, it took it. This one doesnt have any funds on it, so it wont work anyway, but I will have to try a GC with funds soon. If CC really does work, it will be a great way to ms! Will have to start with small amounts 1st to make sure. Can anyone else confirm? I'm in the Boston area.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by tontod
Looks like I can add a credit card too on facebook payments! On the Add Payment method, it says add debit or credit card. I added a Vanilla Visa card, it took it. This one doesnt have any funds on it, so it wont work anyway, but I will have to try a GC with funds soon. If CC really does work, it will be a great way to ms! Will have to start with small amounts 1st to make sure. Can anyone else confirm? I'm in the Boston area.
On mine, it says add debit card, credit cards cannot be used. Florida here.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:22 pm

It let me add my amex blue cash preferred. Will have to add my Citi Double Cash card and send a small payment to confirm.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tontod
It let me add my amex blue cash preferred. Will have to add my Citi Double Cash card and send a small payment to confirm.
Yes small amount with Citi especially.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Today I formatted my phone and reinstalled everything. I now have the dollar sign icon. When I click on it, it allows me to add a debit card. I will add a Gebit soon.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:46 pm

Sent $20, then $375, finally $998. First 2 went through immediately. Last one in pending. I think it is fb not debit that is the stall. FYI.

Recipient debit is posting as "return" and the money does go through, so there's that.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:36 am

For those of you with pending on your payment, how long did it take to go through? Mine is showing pending on fb (since 10:30 PM, so about 12 hours); it's temp authorized from my bank already.

UPDATE: took 16 hours to post after pending. FYI.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 2, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.