Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Q2 5% Categories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:30 pm

Better than paying fees to get VCG at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, just get a gift card for a place you'll eat at in Q3.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Better than paying fees to get VCG at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, just get a gift card for a place you'll eat at in Q3.
Your ideas are strange to me, traveler. I must take time to meet with my tribe and discuss this.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by JamieDee78
I wouldn't do the VGC's. Example:
$400 (2 VGC's) x %5 CB = $20 UR points - $13.90 fees = $6.10 profit (610 UR Points)

But..forgo buying those VGC's (which you'd otherwise be stuck with and have to liquidate by purchasing other stuff at any store/online in lieu of a higher earning CB or travel card such as the Barclays Arrival at 2.2% back on travel purchases):

$400 x 2.2% CB = $8.88 profit
First of all please put everything in UR points $400 (2 VGCs) = 2000 UR points. Don't put 5% cash back because it is not the same. It is UR points which could have higher value than cash back. Not sure why the $13.90 in fees makes any difference since that is the same amount you would pay if you had the Ink card. Nobody has yet to explain how the math is any different than what you do with the Ink card at OSS. Also with the $13.90 in fees you get an additional 70 UR points btw.

Also who said anything about getting stuck with $400 worth of VGCs. Are you new here? I would easily dump the $400 via BB/Serve/RB so that is no issue. No need for regular spend at another store as suggested. I think you missed the entire point. Again I want to reiterate that using the 5% for restaurants or any other shopping at BBB or H&M is much preferred than buying VGCs. It is to be used as a last resort if you are short of the $1.5K cap. If I was short $400 of the $1.5K cap after all possible spending I can think of, I am not going to buy $400 worth of restaurant/store GCs (assuming I have no immediate use and can drain) that I have to monitor the balances for. I don't know about you but I hate monitoring GC balances for any GC period. I would much rather buy VGCs , pay the fees and get a little bit less on overall % back to get a quick turnaround on paying back the CC instead of having to float it even though its just $400.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Not saying $200 VGC at BBB isn't profitable. Just saying that this is available to me al year with no cap. I wasn't terribly excited to hear that BBB has the same thing.
What were you exactly looking for? Yeah VGCs at BBB are available all year but not for purchase at 5% back. That is a huge difference. Even if you buy them with an Arrival card for 2.2% with no cap all year it doesn't even compare to a 5% offer that is currently active on the Freedom card. Even if they were available all year, why would I buy them at BBB? If I was using a 2.2% card, I would much rather go to a grocery store and buy a variable VGC and pay less fees.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Apr 9, 2015 at 2:37 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Not saying $200 VGC at BBB isn't profitable. Just saying that this is available to me al year with no cap. I wasn't terribly excited to hear that BBB has the same thing.
without the 5% Freedom offer at BBB this quarter, this isn't enticing to me either ($200 with 6.95 fees). The most I'm willing to pay is 4.94 (Sunnies at WMNM) and 3.95 (PP travel at grocery store) which are still abundant where I am. I get 5% RD for them using OBC.

However, if I'm near a BBB, I'd pick them up to max out the Freedom offer quickly since we have 3.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
without the 5% Freedom offer at BBB this quarter, this isn't enticing to me either ($200 with 6.95 fees). The most I'm willing to pay is 4.94 (Sunnies at WMNM) and 3.95 (PP travel at grocery store) which are still abundant where I am. I get 5% RD for them using OBC.

However, if I'm near a BBB, I'd pick them up to max out the Freedom offer quickly since we have 3.
How are you getting 5% RD for Sunnies at WM? I thought Walmart does not fall under 5% category.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jaiice
How are you getting 5% RD for Sunnies at WM? I thought Walmart does not fall under 5% category.
WMNM does for AMEX. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by ucfzf10
WMNM does for AMEX. YMMV.
Thanks for the reply. What kind of Walmart is it? Supercenter or Neighbourhood Market or regular walmart?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by jaiice
Thanks for the reply. What kind of Walmart is it? Supercenter or Neighbourhood Market or regular walmart?
WMNM = WM Neighborhood Market
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
WMNM = WM Neighborhood Market
Oh! Thanks a lot for being nice and not flaming me for my stupid question. I thought NM = New Mexico.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

What were you exactly looking for? Yeah VGCs at BBB are available all year but not for purchase at 5% back. That is a huge difference. Even if you buy them with an Arrival card for 2.2% with no cap all year it doesn't even compare to a 5% offer that is currently active on the Freedom card. Even if they were available all year, why would I buy them at BBB? If I was using a 2.2% card, I would much rather go to a grocery store and buy a variable VGC and pay less fees.
I think DaveinLA was referring to $200 VGC @ 5x being available year-round (at OSS). I'm more interested in the "no cap" comment. While Ink's cap is high, it is there. Even if you have multiple Inks, you're not getting unlimited capacity. Is there something I don't know about?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
I think DaveinLA was referring to $200 VGC @ 5x being available year-round (at OSS). I'm more interested in the "no cap" comment. While Ink's cap is high, it is there. Even if you have multiple Inks, you're not getting unlimited capacity. Is there something I don't know about?
There is no such thing as an unlimited cap for Ink. Its ok though I think I know what some people are eluding to and its really YMMV on how people want to meet the cap.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
There is no such thing as an unlimited cap for Ink. Its ok though I think I know what some people are eluding to and its really YMMV on how people want to meet the cap.
That's what I figured, but I'm always open to hearing about something I don't know about. I completely agree with you that Freedom @ BBB is equivalent to Ink @ OSS. Not sure why people are negative on Freedom @ BBB.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:43 am

That's what I figured, but I'm always open to hearing about something I don't know about. I completely agree with you that Freedom @ BBB is equivalent to Ink @ OSS. Not sure why people are negative on Freedom @ BBB.
Because not really equivalent unless you are going for cashback. Transferring to one of the AF cards from Chase has more value I understand.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Because not really equivalent unless you are going for cashback. Transferring to one of the AF cards from Chase has more value I understand.

I think it's exactly equivalent.....

$207 x 2 x 5 = 2070 UR Points
For ~$14 in fees

This is true for both the Ink (at OD year round till you hit the cap) and now, the Freedom (at BBB for Q2, up to $1500).

Transfer the Freedom points to CSP or Ink, obviously.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Originally Posted by Thefirst
I think it's exactly equivalent.....

$207 x 2 x 5 = 2070 UR Points
For ~$14 in fees

This is true for both the Ink (at OD year round till you hit the cap) and now, the Freedom (at BBB for Q2, up to $1500).

Transfer the Freedom points to CSP or Ink, obviously.
I was making the Ink at OSS to Freedom at BBB comparison assuming the person has access to transfer partners via CSP or Ink cards. If you are aiming for only straight cash back with the Freedom card then yes the VGCs doesn't make much sense.

But I have also said that filling up with VGCs should only be used at the very end if you are short of the $1.5K cap if you want to max it out quick and easy. The selection at BBB for GCs isn't that great and they mostly have restaurant cards which if I was $400-500 short, I sure as hell will not stock up on restaurant cards just to avoid paying any fees. There are gas cards but then again Freedom Q3 categories is gas anyways so it wouldn't really make much sense to stock up on gas cards.

By the way the $50K for Ink is very easy to pass. Throw in $5K/mo for BB/RB/Serve (assuming you only have 1 card which a lot of people have multiple) and on top of that throw in your cable/internet and cell phone bills and that is easily $50K. The way I think of this is as a way to shift some of the burden off of the Ink cards for VGCs is welcomed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.