Chase Q2 5% Categories

Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Im sure 99% of people on this board have an ink if they have a freedom, so random GCs aren't that helpful. It needs to be GCs that we can get with freedom that we cant get with ink. Anyway, better than nothing still.
I am the 1%
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
I always look forward to the restaurant category. Will meet that in the first month with just normal spend.
Man I wish I had enough money to eat out $1.5K/month.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Dumb question - do we need to register for this bonus category? Or should we just start spending?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
If you are married, no you don't.

My wife and I do much better at controlling our diet (calories, fat, salt intake) if we eat at home. If I took her out frequently enough to hit 1.5K of restaurant spend in 3 months, her waistline would blow up like a balloon. Not worth the aggravation. When she gains weight, it is always my fault!

I'm taking her on an Alaska cruise this summer. I already have enough possible future weight gain to worry about.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Dumb question - do we need to register for this bonus category? Or should we just start spending?
You do have to register. It's a simple one click process after logging into the site. Not sure if you can do it from the app, but I would think so.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by MG49
You do have to register. It's a simple one click process after logging into the site. Not sure if you can do it from the app, but I would think so.
But do start spending. No matter when you register (so long as it's by the deadline of about 6/14) you get the 5% - even retroactively.

Linky: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/activate
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
I always look forward to the restaurant category. Will meet that in the first month with just normal spend.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not I'm guessing it's work related and in that case I wish I had your job. I'd be rolling in TYPs from my Citi Forward.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
But do start spending. No matter when you register (so long as it's by the deadline of about 6/14) you get the 5% - even retroactively.
You're saying we don't have to wait until Q2 starts on April 1 to get the 5% on Q2 categories?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
It's called expensing client dinners. Or going out with a large group of people and convincing them for the sake of simplicity to give you cash/venmo/chasequickpay/whatever and letting you put it all on your card.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
You're saying we don't have to wait until Q2 starts on April 1 to get the 5% on Q2 categories?
Pretty sure what he's saying is that even if you wait until June to activate the 2nd quarter categories with Chase, they will still give you the 5% on all your spend in those categories from April 1st going forward.

Basically you don't get screwed out of your April and May restaurant spend at 5% if you forget to register until June.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILGfly
I seem to recall someone posting on here a while ago that BBB sells fixed denomination VGC.
Checked my local BBB in NoVA today and they sell fixed VGC of $100 and $200. They also have AmEx GC's for $100 as well.
Originally Posted by danpeake
What are the fees on the $200 VGCs?
The $200 VGCs have a $6.95 fee. Not too good, but with the 5% back you're still netting a small profit to max out the quarter.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MG49
Checked my local BBB in NoVA today and they sell fixed VGC of $100 and $200. They also have AmEx GC's for $100 as well.

The $200 VGCs have a $6.95 fee. Not too good, but with the 5% back you're still netting a small profit to max out the quarter.
The $200 VGCs is not any different earning power than it is on the Ink cards. However I would try to spend the least amount on $200 VGCs if you can use the other categories to max out the $1.5K limit. However if I was in a situation where I still needed to spend $800 in June to hit the $1.5K limit, I am not going to buy $800 in gas GCs and front that just because I want to avoid the VGC fees. I am going to find the quickest and easiest way to drain the balance and hit the $1.5K limit and pay off my card.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

The $200 VGCs is not any different earning power than it is on the Ink cards. However I would try to spend the least amount on $200 VGCs if you can use the other categories to max out the $1.5K limit. However if I was in a situation where I still needed to spend $800 in June to hit the $1.5K limit, I am not going to buy $800 in gas GCs and front that just because I want to avoid the VGC fees. I am going to find the quickest and easiest way to drain the balance and hit the $1.5K limit and pay off my card.
Pretty much what I was thinking too. I'll see where I'm at around mid June with restaurant spend and maybe get a restaurant GC or two at places I frequent. Depending on what's leftover, then maybe a $100-200 gas GC at BBB. Anything after that would probably then do the $200 VGCs.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

I wonder if BuyBuy Baby(owned by BB&B) will earn 5%...probably not.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by slack455
I wonder if BuyBuy Baby(owned by BB&B) will earn 5%...probably not.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd downgrade my CSP a little early to get another Freedom with so many purchases coming up in Q2. Maybe buy GCs at BB&B?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.