Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Changes coming to Western Union (MO Purchases)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I use a local grocery store to purchase MOs using OVs. A couple of days back, I came across this sign

http://imgur.com/L5sqL2P

Does it mean that debit cards like OVs can't be used after March 22, 2015?

Last edited by solidrock; Mar 5, 2015 at 5:04 pm Reason: Image link fixed
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
What sign? A white question mark in a blue square? That seems odd.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:25 pm

Right click on the broken image and open in a page/tab. Hopefully that is specific to your grocery chain but I will keep an eye out at my stores for that sign.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:30 pm

It will be up to the store to actually enforce that rule. Every grocery chain I've been to has a completely separate WU MO machine where they input the MO amount and it's not connected to the POS in any way. Once they see "approved" on the POS they hit print on the MO machine. An employee could technically print and MO and not receive payment for it since the WU MO machine has no idea whether they've actually been paid or not.

I've only seen this posted at one of my local grocery chains and I don't buy MO there. Oddly enough, they always told me cash only for MO at that chain.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:01 am

Here's the image from the OP:
http://i.imgur.com/L5sqL2P.jpg

Interesting that the only brand name on the sign is Western Union, not a grocery store name... maybe that means it'll affect other stores too.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:07 am

What store sell backyard umbrella's and has a pharmacy in it? I couldn't figure out from the image what kind of store this is...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by solidrock
I use a local grocery store to purchase MOs using OVs. A couple of days back, I came across this sign

Does it mean that debit cards like OVs can't be used after March 22, 2015?
If store personnel will start checking our DCs, OVs and other PPGCs will not be accepted. BUT for buxx cards that meet the requirements, they may still go through unless registers "read" them as prepaid cards and reject them.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
What store sell backyard umbrella's and has a pharmacy in it? I couldn't figure out from the image what kind of store this is...
There's something in the background that looks like it's Fred's pharmacy(?).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:46 am

I posted a message at Kroger thread yesterday for checking my IDs for mo.

Originally Posted by wuchien6401
I also have no issue buying VGCs. However, I tried to purchase 2K MO today and the CS cashier asked to see my ID and debit card to see if the are matched. Then she popped up the next question, I need another ID from you???

This is the first time ever I have been asked for two IDs (Driver licence and Social Security). I didn't buy the MOs and leave. Things are getting worse at Kroger.
Originally Posted by Mamibear
If store personnel will start checking our DCs, OVs and other PPGCs will not be accepted. BUT for buxx cards that meet the requirements, they may still go through unless registers "read" them as prepaid cards and reject them.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:57 am

This is the first time ever I have been asked for two IDs (Driver licence and Social Security). I didn't buy the MOs and leave. Things are getting worse at Kroger.
I don't know of anyone who walks around with their SSN card, I'll tell them that. The stores I buy WUMOs all know me and have not asked for my ID but if later, they do, I will present my DL to match my DCs. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that but it doesn't bother me right now since I don't buy tons of MOs.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:23 am

The store is HEB, it's a Texas thing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
The store is HEB, it's a Texas thing.
Haha, they've been paranoid about GCs for a year now. The "ban" is working real well...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Store name is Martins

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
The store is Martins (part of Giants Foods) in Richmond, VA. I have seen the sign put up it in all the local stores in the past couple of weeks.

And yes, they do have pharmacy and in-store banking branch of Union Bank.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by solidrock
The store is Martins (part of Giants Foods) in Richmond, VA. I have seen the sign put up it in all the local stores in the past couple of weeks.

And yes, they do have pharmacy and in-store banking branch of Union Bank.
Hope this virus doesn't infect the other stores....in nearby states..

Last edited by OHijAAzi73; Mar 6, 2015 at 10:52 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Hope this virus doesn't infect the other "Giant" stores....in nearby states..
I saw it in a Giant-Carlisle last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.