Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Hecta
It just may be easier for them to see the repeated $1000, $1000, $500 loads if they are searching for customers abusing the system. Although people loading $856.78 + $724.92 +$918.30 (for example) may take longer to find for Amex, the fact is that they're still loading $2,500 total and most likely $5,000 for the month. I think it depends more on the rapid unloading of the card. I will start loading and then unloading after waiting some time in different amounts and hopefully won't get shutdown.
It's a computer that flags the loads. And right now, the computer's programmed to flag even loads. They can add a flag for $5K/mo loads anytime - and I'm sure that they will eventually.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I don't know the answer to that, but the letter explicitly mentions the size of the loads, so apparently they do care.

The still open question is if the OP was doing BP, or maybe ATM withdrawals, which brings up the suspicion of money laundering.
They merely mention that the size of the loads and quick withdrawals match. I doubt the loads were what brought poster to their attention, though. I think most people would just naturally load in even amounts, although likely smaller than $1000.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:20 pm

Damn AMEX just won't let us have our "free" easy money, first Blue Cash shutdowns, now Redbird. I think I am ripe for a shutdown based on my loading/unloading patterns, oh well, it was fun while it lasted! Fingers Crossed
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It's a computer that flags the loads. And right now, the computer's programmed to flag even loads. They can add a flag for $5K/mo loads anytime - and I'm sure that they will eventually.
Nobody knows why his account got flagged. When loading legitimately with actual cash even loads are FAR more likely than uneven loads. It makes no sense for them to flag loads based on even number amounts.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
Not trying to be pessimistic.... But what are your back up MS methods in case that your RB gets cancelled?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:27 pm

I would suggest that the loading of an amount such as $840.76 is much more suspicious than the loading of an amount such as $800.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by CASACW2
Not trying to be pessimistic.... But what are your back up MS methods in case that your RB gets cancelled?
All of the other threads in this subforum?

I'm not trying to be snippy, but this forum is full of data on MS methods.

The biggest question IMO is whether this is a shutdown by SSN of the PLATFORM by AMEX...i.e. you can't go back to Serve/BB.

That would be heartbreaking.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:30 pm

First time poster, long time lurker. Just posting a copy of the text in the email since I'm on my phone.

Hello Thomas,

We are writing to you today regarding your Target Prepaid REDcard Account.

During a recent review, we have noticed several instances of unusual/irregular activity on your Target Prepaid REDcard Account.

Repeated suspicious activity on your account has been documented as follows:

Withdrawals and/or bill pays equal to the account balance immediately following "Cash" Reloads

American Express and Target have determined that you are not using this account for its intended purposes and have deemed your relationship with us unsatisfactory. Your account has been closed effective immediately and a check for the balance of your account will be sent to the address on file within 60-90 days.

You are not eligible to reopen another Target Prepaid REDcard Account.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.

Thanks,

Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express Fraud Protection Team
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:31 pm

To me the key takeaway from that letter is that they "have deemed the relationship to be unsatisfactory". To me that means that we have to use the Redbird card in a way that it is profitable for them or at least that they see the potential for it to become profitable in the future.
Same as the MS with Ink and the Chase shutdowns. If you do nothing but 5x spend, they will shut you down eventually.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Ritley572
Nobody knows why his account got flagged. When loading legitimately with actual cash even loads are FAR more likely than uneven loads. It makes no sense for them to flag loads based on even number amounts.
Are you serious? Did you read the letter. It states EXACTLY why his account was flagged. Two reasons.
One was: "Repeated suspicious activity on your account has been documented as follows:

Register "Cash" Reloads in $1000 or $500 increments"

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Originally Posted by kharlamov
I would suggest that the loading of an amount such as $840.76 is much more suspicious than the loading of an amount such as $800.
Target/AmEx/Chase disagree with you. But feel free to continue with round number loading.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:34 pm

Could someone please create a wiki and post all of the reasons from people's letters?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
They merely mention that the size of the loads and quick withdrawals match. I doubt the loads were what brought poster to their attention, though. I think most people would just naturally load in even amounts, although likely smaller than $1000.
Couldn't agree with you more...people are more likely to load in even amounts with 'cash' than some random amount with change.

People need to use RB more responsibly! Pay your bills, shop at target and adds some regular spend...use the card as it was intended. Is it so darn necessary for people to load the card and BP credit card companies for the same amount? Hate to sound like a downer however, you are not profitable if you are doing this. No surprise to me why the OP was shutdown.

Last edited by RickyBobby; Mar 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:38 pm

It seems that using common sense will (at least temporarily) avoid the shutdown experienced by the two people who have so far posted their e-mails in this thread.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hecta
It just may be easier for them to see the repeated $1000, $1000, $500 loads if they are searching for customers abusing the system. Although people loading $856.78 + $724.92 +$918.30 (for example) may take longer to find for Amex, the fact is that they're still loading $2,500 total and most likely $5,000 for the month. I think it depends more on the rapid unloading of the card. I will start loading and then unloading after waiting some time in different amounts and hopefully won't get shutdown.
Originally Posted by larsok
I agree with the rapid unloading.

When you think about how they can possibly make money with this product (I can't really figure out how as it is so easy to abuse), their plan must be for people to carry a balance, visit Target stores more often and increase their spend at Target.
People who load the card and immediately drain it without spending anything at Target certainly do not create any profit.
So my guess would be that it is all about how you spend/drain not how you fund.
I agrees. I survived the massacre of Amex Blue Cash, & gobank. I have my OBC over one year, 18 months for my gobank and they are still alive. One of the reason is I don't overdo it. Amex want to make some profit, so does gobank. If you just load and unload, it is just a burden to Amex. I charged OBC about 3K each month and not over spend, I put about $4K to gobank each month but kept about $2000 average anytime to let gobank make some profit.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Are you serious? Did you read the letter. It states EXACTLY why his account was flagged. Two reasons.
One was: "Repeated suspicious activity on your account has been documented as follows:

Register "Cash" Reloads in $1000 or $500 increments"

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Target/AmEx/Chase disagree with you. But feel free to continue with round number loading.
That doesn't mean loads of $998.57 are going to save you, nor does it mean ALL even loads are bad.

It means that one thing they look for are loads of exactly the load limits available.

It also states that he was immediately withdrawing in the same amounts, and the other poster above just got shut down for the same thing with no mention of even loads.

Stop pretending you are an inside man at AmEx and know definitively why this happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.