Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by plenow
Here is what I received. I received it on the same day the first time I ever did a 1000/1000/500 load in the same day even though it was during different visits to different Target locations. While different from what was cited by OP, I will not be loading 2500 in one day again. Thoughts, should I call them as suggested?

Mar 2 at 6:44 PM

Hello XXXXX,
During a recent review of your Target Prepaid REDcard® Account we noticed unusual activity. You may experience limitations while using your Account.
In order for us to authorize you and continue to service your Account safely and securely, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.
Thanks,
Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express

Customer Service I Privacy Statement
We kindly ask you not to reply to this e-mail but instead contact us via Customer Service.
See the Prepaid REDcard User Agreement for complete Prepaid REDcard terms and conditions.
Prepaid REDcard by American Express is issued by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., 200 Vesey Street, New York, NY 10285, licensed to engage in the transmission of money by the New York Department of Finance and other state money transmitter regulators. Click here for information about addressing complaints regarding our money services business, lists of our money services licenses and other disclosures.
© 2014 American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Target and the Bullseye Design are trademarks of Target Brands, Inc.
Email ID: 132097
So you went to different targets to load an aggregate amount of $2500? My guess is the fact that you went to different targets was flagged as suspicious. Just stick to loading $2500 at one target and you wouldn't get any suspicious notice. Yea, you should call them because it will just get your account opened faster.

This notice has nothing to do with this myth the OP has produced. I hope his redcard is shut down!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:59 am

Here is what I received. I received it on the same day the first time I ever did a 1000/1000/500 load in the same day even though it was during different visits to different Target locations. While different from what was cited by OP, I will not be loading 2500 in one day again. Thoughts, should I call them as suggested?

Mar 2 at 6:44 PM

Hello XXXXX,
During a recent review of your Target Prepaid REDcard® Account we noticed unusual activity. You may experience limitations while using your Account.
In order for us to authorize you and continue to service your Account safely and securely, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.
Thanks,
Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express

Customer Service I Privacy Statement
We kindly ask you not to reply to this e-mail but instead contact us via Customer Service.
See the Prepaid REDcard User Agreement for complete Prepaid REDcard terms and conditions.
Prepaid REDcard by American Express is issued by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., 200 Vesey Street, New York, NY 10285, licensed to engage in the transmission of money by the New York Department of Finance and other state money transmitter regulators. Click here for information about addressing complaints regarding our money services business, lists of our money services licenses and other disclosures.
© 2014 American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Target and the Bullseye Design are trademarks of Target Brands, Inc.
Email ID: 132097
Seems more legit. This e-mail gives the perception of more of a fraud alert/security issue than somebody "gaming the system".

... Or is this just another hoaxer now changing their story to make it seem more believable after people poked holes in their original hoax?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by DL172
So you went to different targets to load an aggregate amount of $2500? My guess is the fact that you went to different targets was flagged as suspicious. Just stick to loading $2500 at one target and you wouldn't get any suspicious notice. Yea, you should call them because it will just get your account opened faster.

This notice has nothing to do with this myth the OP has produced. I hope his redcard is shut down!
Yes, that is what I did. Not intentionally, just happened to be in different parts of town. I never have done three transactions consecutively. Another piece of information, managing this RB online seems to be normal. I just did a small billpay to see if it was working and it was set up for payment like normal.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by twelvetosix
Seems more legit. This e-mail gives the perception of more of a fraud alert/security issue than somebody "gaming the system".

... Or is this just another hoaxer now changing their story to make it seem more believable after people poked holes in their original hoax?
No hoax. I had no clue until I started reading this thread. As you can see I have been on FT for 16 years...not a lot of posts...a lot of lurking. Just started to engage in MS as I was laid off recently and have time available!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
No hoax. I had no clue until I started reading this thread. As you can see I have been on FT for 16 years...not a lot of posts...a lot of lurking. Just started to engage in MS as I was laid off recently and have time available!
Hello, old-timer :-)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:12 am

Not trying to accuse anybody, just hard to know what to believe these days.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Folks, please vet the sources of the initial report and the "confirmations."

If someone were actually shutdown, the first thing one does is try to log-in to the account. However, no one who reported a shutdown has mentioned anything about trying to log-in and what happens. I even specifically asked (and received no response):

Originally Posted by FindAWay
What happens when those shut down try to log in to the RB account? And, could they post a screen shot of any error or message from the website?
Now, let's go in order of posting for the "report" and "confirmations:"

1) RFDMinnesota:

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Ladies,

I received this gem in my email this morning

OP is known to state false information on FT. For example, in this post, OP claimed that store gift cards could be loaded to BlueBird:

I can also confirm that one in particular works
Now, to the first "confirmation:"

2) Dave4086:

Originally Posted by Dave4086
A friend of mine recently received the same email. I hope it isn't coming in waves...
In the same joke thread as OP regarding claims that store GCs will load to Bluebird, this posted provided "confirmation":

I was very surprised to see my Chipotle gift card loading bluebird. It really is the best gift card you can buy.
And, then, this poster was also admittedly "in on the joke" in the "H.E.L.L.O. method" thread:

I was in on the joke actually.

On to the next "confirmation," by a first-time poster who just joined this week? A poster who hasn't posted since.

3) TommyFlysAlot:

Originally Posted by TommyFlysAlot
First time poster, long time lurker. Just posting a copy of the text in the email since I'm on my phone.
A single-post does not make a forest of credibility

And, then we have this "confirmation:"

4) WhoGoesThere:

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
I just got two shutdown emails. Fml. Tread carefully, folks. Fingers crossed here I can still get Serve.
Here's a recent (although, more light-hearted) joke post from this poster:

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
My credit union just launched mobile cash deposit. Bonus! They're giving a 1% bonus on all mobile cash deposits during the month of March.
Finally, we have this poster:

5) SanDiego_Fred:

Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred
The shutdowns are absolutely legit. There is no joke.

Max loads of $1k/$1k/$500 followed by immediate drain by BP, ATM, and ACH push.

Sorry if 6 posts isn't enough credibility for you. Just started this.
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred
I know with 100% certainty that the email is not fake.
This poster has only ever posted in the main RB thread (5 total times) and then only in this "shutdown" thread since joining FT last month.

[I was bored. Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time on this.]

Mods - Can we lock this thread yet? Or, at least, merge it with the existing RB thread?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Your email is very similar to the emails for ID verification emails that are sent out for Serve. I am not surprised by it and it does NOT provide any support to the OP of this thread's credibility.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:19 am

FT investigators. Nice!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:24 am

Your email is very similar to the emails for ID verification emails that are sent out for Serve. I am not surprised by it and it does NOT provide any support to the OP of this thread's credibility.
Was not attempting to support OP, just a data point. As I shared I was able to billpay ok. Should I try to load again before calling or just go ahead and call? All thoughts welcome.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:24 am

If it's a hoax, RFID Minnesota should be tarred, feathered and banned. Yes, he can always create a new username and keep posting, but at least he'd lose the implied credibility that comes from having almost 1,300 posts.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:26 am

Was not attempting to support OP, just a data point. As I shared I was able to billpay ok. Should I try to load again before calling or just go ahead and call? All thoughts welcome.
I would call them. I got the same e-mail when I first opened my account. My bill pay wouldn't work (due to the phone number glitch), so I loaded my card, sent money to my wife's redbird and did billpay out of her account. That looked suspicious, so they wanted me to verify my identity. I was worried that they'd shut me down, but it ended up being painless.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:27 am

First of all thanks for compiling that resource it must have taken you a long time. Its a service to the community. Many of us have doubted this thread from the beginning, but I think there needs to be some repercussions now on the part of FT staff to perhaps ban the OP.

You prove that the OP and named conspirators have acted in a malicious manner with the aim of causing alarm in other users, this kind of tactic is disgusting.

Again thanks!

Regarding Plenow's post, its just a fraud alert. Plenow just wanted to ask for some confirmation.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:28 am

I find it odd that: 1) A screenshot was posted in the first post, and 2) a new thread was started by the OP.

If my account was shut down the first thing I'd do is check the existing thread to see the carnage, and finding none, I'd post a short message saying my account was shut down with a short summary of the email. Get the news out there as soon as possible.

I wouldn't sit there wasting time taking screenshots and blacking out my personal information while I was potentially missing a firestorm of posts in the existing thread. Starting right off with "proof" is what people do when they aren't telling the truth. And beginning a new thread indicates the OP knew there weren't going to be simultaneous duplicate conversations in the other thread.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
I would call them. I got the same e-mail when I first opened my account. My bill pay wouldn't work (due to the phone number glitch), so I loaded my card, sent money to my wife's redbird and did billpay out of her account. That looked suspicious, so they wanted me to verify my identity. I was worried that they'd shut me down, but it ended up being painless.
Thanks. This RB is not in my name, it's in my daughter's name (with permission). Her name is one that could be considered asexual. I imagine I have all the information they would ask (since I set it up for her). Knowing this would you still call or wait for a "second notice"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.