Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Mobile Cash Deposit

This is YMMV, please make sure you bank support this feature on their app.
BoA, only android ref ref
Chase ref
Simple ref
Santender ref

Limits

Supported Currencies
                      *beware of DCC by some banks if you are able to deposit "non-supported currency" ref

Known Issues

"LIMIT NOT APPROVED" check you daily limit as it tend to fluctuate.
                      "CASH DEPOSIT TIMEOUT" you need to close the app and reopen it after you clear the cache.
                      "DEPOSIT PENDING REVIEW" you probably deposited the same bill(s) before, it will probably be returned as NSF
                      "CASH NOT AVAILABLE" or "ANTIQUE DEPOSIT DETECTED" most likely you are depositing the old-style bills, make sure you use the new bills.
                      "UNKNOWN OBJECT" you deposited a $2, just buy a money order and deposit it instead.

Shut Downs
                      No reports yet, but its likely** to happen.

**do not deposit the same bill more than once or you might get fired by your bank.
                      Print Wikipost

Cash mobile deposits

Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
                      Hi Flyertalk members,

I am starting a new bank that allows unlimited cash and money order deposits. You can deposit cash with our new "mobile deposits" feature, but we highly recommend that you send your money to us so that you can be sure that we are able to read the cash deposits accurately. To do so, we will mail you envelopes with pre-paid postage that you can use to send us your cash. By mailing us your cash physically, we will give you 1 point in rewards per dollar deposited! We will NEVER file any suspicious activity reports regardless of your deposit amounts and patterns. If you are interested in creating an account with us, please fill out the following information and send it to me via private message:

Name:
                      Address:
                      Phone number:
                      Date of birth:
                      Social security number:

Our service is 100% free. We charge no fees and even reward you for your deposits. Sign up today!
                      Do points expire? can you transfer them 1:1 to Chuck-E-Cheese tokens?
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
                      alright guys, i updated the wiki, but i think more data is need for the euro deposits.
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:22 am
                      Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
                      I deposited 25 Euro via Santender cash deposit in Espana.

Last edited by bayhouse; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:13 am
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:28 am
                      Suspended

Originally Posted by jewsus
                      What do you guys do with your cash 90 days after depositing? I've been burning it but wasn't sure if I should hang on longer.
                      I always burn it. I save up as much as I can and then just toss it in my fireplace, preferably when I have guests over.

Originally Posted by ddallas
                      I either flush it down the toilet or light it on fire.
                      Ugh, I wish I could flush mine. But it always clogs my toilet, and plunging the bills down the drain defeats the efficiency attained by flushing. Maybe I should just find a bank where I can deposit my toilet too, and then I'll get the randos outside of home depot to install a new cash-flushable Toilet in my house.
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:35 am
                      Suspended

Originally Posted by phatjoe
                      The problem with Simple and BofA is that although they let you deposit cash, they do not allow mobile deposits of gift cards. However, my friend knows a guy at Simple and they plan to roll that feature out in the summer of 2015. We’ll see how that goes.
                      Yea but BofA has the most incompetent staff ever. Wells Fargo allows you to deposit VGCs, but you have to take a picture of both sides to prevent people from uploading random pics of GCs obtained on the internet.
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:39 am
                      Suspended

Originally Posted by AnalystGuy
                      There is no such thing as making a mobile (phone) cash deposit. The places that may "offer" that option will instruct you to purchase a money order and deposit that.

A mobile check deposit works because the bank sends that image to the Federal Reserve to be cleared. If you send them a picture of a $100 bill how would the bank actually get the money?
                      Surely you must have a cognitive deficit. Last time I deposited cash via mobile, it worked perfectly.

Last edited by bayhouse; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:12 am
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 am
                      Suspended

Additional known issues

Just now, I encountered two problems. I was just trying to conduct my affairs and my MCD was denied with the following errors. My explanations are in parenthesis. Please add to the Wiki when you have a moment!

ANTIQUE DEPOSIT DETECTED (you deposited an old-style bill)

UNKNOWN OBJECT (you deposited a $2)
                      Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
                      Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bayhouse
                      Just now, I encountered two problems. I was just trying to conduct my affairs and my MCD was denied with the following errors. My explanations are in parenthesis. Please add to the Wiki when you have a moment!

ANTIQUE DEPOSIT DETECTED (you deposited an old-style bill)

UNKNOWN OBJECT (you deposited a $2)
                      its has been updated
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by raenye
                      Do points expire? can you transfer them 1:1 to Chuck-E-Cheese tokens?
                      They never expire. They are transferable 1:1 to Check-E-Cheese tokens, but only until next week before they will be devalued to 1000 points per token.

Quick! Make your deposits and redeem those points!
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

Noob question: is it ok to call? I don't want to get in trouble for calling, but this hasn't been working for me. What questions are ok to ask?
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:30 pm

The money museums at Federal Reserve branches often have free souvenir bags of shredded currency containing around $165 per bag.

I've tried to mobile deposit the pieces, but keep getting UNKNOWN OBJECT error. Anyone know of a workaround?
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:02 pm
                      Suspended

Originally Posted by brc01
                      The money museums at Federal Reserve branches often have free souvenir bags of shredded currency containing around $165 per bag.

I've tried to mobile deposit the pieces, but keep getting UNKNOWN OBJECT error. Anyone know of a workaround?
                      Perhaps you can try a different bank with a worse-quality image detection service. Or try to piece the shreds together a bit more. If you chose the latter route, make sure it's worth your time. Don't bother spending time to piece together a $1, $5, $10, or $20. Only bother with the $50s and $100s, and do your best to keep the ObamaStripe in tact -- it's one of the key features used with the software! Best of luck. Speaking from experience, it's a real pain to piece those strips together...
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ttitle
                      Noob question: is it ok to call? I don't want to get in trouble for calling, but this hasn't been working for me. What questions are ok to ask?
                      YMMV. IME, CS from Citi are the best and very knowledgeable in this topic. Recently I tried to deposit the inflated 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollar into my Citi Gold checking. Somehow the Citi Mobile can only handle up to 8 digits entered in the Amount field. After calling Citi CS, I was surprised to know that Citi Mobile actually supports Cash Image Stitching feature. All I had to do was cut the Zimbabwe dollar bill into half and scan two parts separately, so I can enter the 8 digits in one scan by enabling Image Stitching option and then 7 digits in the other. All together it worked perfect!!!

Last edited by spgbus; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:30 pm
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:52 pm
                      Suspended

Originally Posted by spgbus
                      YMMV. IME, CS from Citi are the best and very knowledgeable in this topic. Recently I tried to deposit the inflated 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollar into my Citi Gold checking. Somehow the Citi Mobile can only handle up to 8 digits entered in the Amount field. After calling Citi CS, I was surprised to know that Citi Mobile actually supports Cash Image Stitching feature. All I had to do was cut the Zimbabwe dollar bill into half and scan two parts separately, so I can enter the 8 digits in one scan by enabling Image Stitching option and then 7 digits in the other. All together it worked perfect!!!
                      Alright, I'm opening accounts with Citi right now. Two personal (checking/savings) and two small biz (checking/savings). Hopefully I can deposit tons of these Zimbabwe super-dollars without getting detected. I have a cousin who works for the mint over there and he can provide me with many. I can probably tape them back together after depositing and mail back to him and they can be re-injected into their currency. They surely won't find out.

Uh oh: does this feature work with small biz accounts, or just personal?
                      Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by brc01

My credit union supports 3D scanning & reconstruction. The key is to not open the bag at all. Take pictures from at least 3 different angles, and the app will create a 3D scan from the pictures. It then automatically reconstructs the shredded bills into whole ones, and credits you for the deposit.

Honestly, it's the only way to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.