Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the Amex Blue thread for 2015. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here.
The 2016 thread is here.

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. There are reports that the new limits will apply to existing cardholders on the month containing your anniversary after March 1.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of June 11, 2015, shutdown reports continue.

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex.

Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

If you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...lue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

˛ 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2015)

Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by romeogg
OBC was guarded by people in some private circle as their own secret ATM. So when it was introduced here (by Silver), they were furious. They wanted to make this thread disappear. When some of them were hit by AMEX, they are even more furious because they think that the newcomers took away their own ATM. There is only one agenda, and it is driven by nothing but selfishness and greediness. It is as simple as that.
This ^ . Glad somebody besides me got the gist and understood said agenda.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by MilesJunkyardDawg
This ^ . Glad somebody besides me got the gist and understood said agenda.
Someone certainly missed it in their reply to your post!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
Someone certainly missed it in their reply to your post!
fo sho! whatev..
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Well, of course, many had been milking it for years making huge sums of money that's why when it went public they knew it would end. And less than a year later, it did.

I would have fought to protect, it too, considering a group were making well over 100k a year off the card for the past decade.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:33 am

Amazing it lasted that long really
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by aGeist
Well, of course, many had been milking it for years making huge sums of money that's why when it went public they knew it would end. And less than a year later, it did.

I would have fought to protect, it too, considering a group were making well over 100k a year off the card for the past decade.
Yes, I have some (very limited) sympathy for that group, as they saw a good thing end. However, the ones that yelled at me (PM mainly) just didn't get that I don't feel I owe them a duty of care. They never shared their gains with me, so their loss is their loss.

The ones that I found super-hypercritical were those that discovered it here (or the original post on MyFico) and then wanted it removed so that others wouldn't ruin it. Again, rational from their view point, but not compelling.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:20 am

People were pumping more than 2 million dollars through the card and they are blaming everyone else for getting shut down? Right...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:55 am

So out of curiosity, is anyone that hasn't been closed yet still hitting this card hard?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:34 am

I wonder if that is the case, as my impression is that liquidation became much easier once you were able to set PINs for the cards and that only happened a couple of years ago?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by brito11
I wonder if that is the case, as my impression is that liquidation became much easier once you were able to set PINs for the cards and that only happened a couple of years ago?
+1 but just as I didn't know about this card until it was introduced here, there may still be liquidation techniques that worked before PINs and may still work. We just don't know them.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ritley572
People were pumping more than 2 million dollars through the card and they are blaming everyone else for getting shut down? Right...
It seems it's much easier blaming newbies/others for causes of shutdown rather than looking into the mirror...when it's probably just a cumulative effect. It probably takes 100 newbies to rack up the type of spend a HH does. It all adds up to Amex taking a closer look at their OBC offer...and here we are. LOL
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by yank2688
So out of curiosity, is anyone that hasn't been closed yet still hitting this card hard?
Just did 30K last month. Dont know what you consider "hitting hard."

Did half that for the previous two months due to being "scared." Stupid me.

I think I might be starting my new year and need to hit the $6500 to gain 5% again..We shall see.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Originally Posted by andyandy
FWIW, I was told the same thing after getting caught in the original round of October cancellations. 8 weeks later and nothing yet. YMMV.

PS: My call was very similar to what you describe. US-based Agent originally said "you, my friend, are SOL." [paraphrase] Then "researched" the matter with a supervisor and came back with the "since we cancelled the card, in 8 weeks you'll get a credit or a check representing rewards earned through the date of account closure."

In the same boat. It's been over 8 weeks....
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:05 am

Got a CLI from 18k from 21k without having to do anything. This seems like a dare...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ttlmmky
Got a CLI from 18k from 21k without having to do anything. This seems like a dare...
It is a dare.
Many people (myself included) received a small CLI a week or so prior to closure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.