Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, US, Ritz-Carlton Silver
    Has anyone been receiving a invalid CSV4 number when registering their card? I bought one for my brother and he says he is receiving a invalid CSV4 number message when he tries to register it. Does anyone know if their a glitch with RedCard right now or if there is something that is causing this message to appear?

I told him to enter the account number and CSV4 number and leave the DOB Blank. After he does, and subsequently enters his personal information he receives the message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
    I can see it being a hoax, but I've seen no proof that it is a hoax, only conjecture.

"Does it matter to you if the email's fake or authentic?" -- Yes, because if it is a hoax that implies someone, or possibly more than one person, is actively trying to disrupt the activities in this forum of FT.

I haven't changed my actions -- I still load $1000 at a time, still billpay my CCs and still occasionally use the card when I shop at Target.
    Agree with you, we should see many more people report if this shutdown was true. Look at how many Amex OBC were shut down after the first shutdown report.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    I've dug through the locked thread to check the number of posts that mention shutdowns. I can't do linked quotes due to the thread being locked, but I'll do my best to make it easy to locate each post. Make of it what you will - real or a conspiracy among several people.
    From this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...le-lasted.html

Post #4:
    Originally Posted by Dave4086
    A friend of mine recently received the same email. I hope it isn't coming in waves...
    Post #53
    Originally Posted by TommyFliesALot
    First time poster, long time lurker. Just posting a copy of the text in the email since I'm on my phone.

Hello Thomas,

We are writing to you today regarding your Target Prepaid REDcard® Account.

During a recent review, we have noticed several instances of unusual/irregular activity on your Target Prepaid REDcard® Account.

Repeated suspicious activity on your account has been documented as follows:

Withdrawals and/or bill pays equal to the account balance immediately following "Cash" Reloads

American Express and Target have determined that you are not using this account for its intended purposes and have deemed your relationship with us unsatisfactory. Your account has been closed effective immediately and a check for the balance of your account will be sent to the address on file within 60-90 days.

You are not eligible to reopen another Target Prepaid REDcard® Account.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.

Thanks,

Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express Fraud Protection Team
    Post #159
    Originally Posted by deant
    Just got home from work and saw this thread and then went to check my email. I received the exact same email as the OP so IT IS REAL. Know one other person that has gotten shut down by RedBird. Have been doing $5K per month for the last few months without issue.

Hope no one else gets the "death of RedBird" email........but for some reason I think many will be coming in the next few days / weeks.

Post #160
    Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
    I just got two shutdown emails. Fml. Tread carefully, folks. Fingers crossed here I can still get Serve.

Post #302
    Originally Posted by grayland
    I am not too sure if it is a hoax. I had a guy I work with ask me if I had any problems with RedBird. He is fairly active in MS but does not participate on FT or elsewhere. He knows I also MS.
    He said he was just shutdown on his RedBird account. I asked if he knew why and he said he was advised that it was for "activity that was not the intended use" or something close to that. I do not have any further details....but it was a shutdown.
    He had no reason to make that story up and does not know about this thread.

Post #304
    Originally Posted by busymike
    my brother in law's RB was shut down a month ago. At the time, I just chalked it up as something weird he did - possibly fat-fingering SSN or DOB. But I asked him last night if he still had the email. He deleted it, so I showed him the one posted by OP. He said it was similar in general verbage, but his reason stated was different. so fwiw, i believe OP.

Including RFDMinnesota, that's 7 reported shutdowns on the locked thread.
    I compared the first letter posted in the ViewFromTheWing thread: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....bird-accounts/
    It appears to my untrained eye that the email posted there wasn't from Gmail because of the way that the header appears. RFDMinnesota's email was from GMail so it may be a completely different person who sent the email to Gary at ViewFromTheWing.
    There are 3 reported shutdowns on that thread - the 2 posted emails and post #10.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    It does seem unlikely that all of them are making it up, but whether or not any of it is a hoax, at least it likely caused more people to start using the service in a more favorable way.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:08 am

Fewer stores where temp card can be activated?

Yesterday, a friend tried activating a temporary card at a Target store that does not sell them, it had worked there previously but this time the registers would not recognize the barcode and allow it. It's not a big deal here since there is a store that sells them within 50 miles, but it may be something to keep in mind if you don't have a selling store nearby.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:04 am

Since only certain PA stores sell them. Does anyone know if the Dickson City or Wilkes-Barre stores sell them? Thanks.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:20 am

Following up on my post regarding the failed loads on 2/25. I was credited with the $600 I attempted to load on that day. The credit was posted on my Prepaid Redcard as a "Cash Load Pos Manual." All other loads post as "Cash Reload TARGET" followed by the store number.

So all is well. The only thing I don't know is if that $600 counts towards my load limit for March.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott Rewards
    Originally Posted by zenride
    Yesterday, a friend tried activating a temporary card at a Target store that does not sell them, it had worked there previously but this time the registers would not recognize the barcode and allow it. It's not a big deal here since there is a store that sells them within 50 miles, but it may be something to keep in mind if you don't have a selling store nearby.
    One good reason not to allow - how can you scan something if it weren't officially 'blessed' for that store? Another question could arise - how did a product not stocked at a store end up there? From a company standpoint, both point to potential shady practices occurring which could not be good for this community.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by zenride
    It does seem unlikely that all of them are making it up, but whether or not any of it is a hoax, at least it likely caused more people to start using the service in a more favorable way.
    Just did a quick compare on the OBC thread. There were certainly many (>10) reports on shutdown on the first day (Oct 22). However, that didn't stop the post on Oct 23rd:

Strikes me as odd that there are no reports of this on any other forum like at myfico or slickdeals. Hmmm

So at least some conspiracy theorists aren't great judges of what is real and what isn't.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: "You are now known as the Lebron James of DYKWIA/Delta/FT" -Thoiboi
    Originally Posted by hokie94
    Following up on my post regarding the failed loads on 2/25. I was credited with the $600 I attempted to load on that day. The credit was posted on my Prepaid Redcard as a "Cash Load Pos Manual." All other loads post as "Cash Reload TARGET" followed by the store number.

So all is well. The only thing I don't know is if that $600 counts towards my load limit for March.
    Good to know, I just got off the phone with CS regarding my failed loads on 3/6, they assured me that I would either have a credit back to my CC or to the redbird account for the missing load amounts, however they explained that they will take up to ten full days before making a decision.

Interestingly without my explicitly mentioning my funding source, the CS rep volunteered that I should not try to load w/ a CC in the future as the system was not designed for CC loads and that a glitch allowed it. Makes me wonder how long before they "fix the glitch" a la Milton in office space
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by nistah
    Good to know, I just got off the phone with CS regarding my failed loads on 3/6, they assured me that I would either have a credit back to my CC or to the redbird account for the missing load amounts, however they explained that they will take up to ten full days before making a decision.

Interestingly without my explicitly mentioning my funding source, the CS rep volunteered that I should not try to load w/ a CC in the future as the system was not designed for CC loads and that a glitch allowed it. Makes me wonder how long before they "fix the glitch" a la Milton in office space
    I was also told "please do not use a credit card to load" "not designed for that". but that it would take 24-48hrs
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by winger13
    Another question could arise - how did a product not stocked at a store end up there? From a company standpoint, both point to potential shady practices occurring which could not be good for this community.
    It's certainly not recommended without a legitimate reason why the other store allowed you to take it. If someone can't come up with one themselves, I'll do it for $50.

But seriously, I don't recommend anyone try activating a card at a store that doesn't sell them. I don't even know if it's possible to do anymore.

Originally Posted by silver6054
    Just did a quick compare on the OBC thread. There were certainly many (>10) reports on shutdown on the first day (Oct 22). However, that didn't stop the post on Oct 23rd:

Strikes me as odd that there are no reports of this on any other forum like at myfico or slickdeals. Hmmm

So at least some conspiracy theorists aren't great judges of what is real and what isn't.
    The same thing happened in the CVS thread when loading VR's by CC was about to end and many didn't want to believe it. I'm not suggesting I think this is about to end, but I also probably will be making more purchases and leave the funds in account longer, even though I never withdrew them right away or all at once anyway.

Last edited by zenride; Mar 9, 2015 at 2:22 pm
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Used a grocery store purchased VGC to load $500 to my RedBird with a debit pin at Target. I've also loaded 4K by credit cards so far. My question is did Target load as a CC even though I used a 4 digit pin for the VGC when loading?

If not, RedBird has a daily load limit of $200 for debit loads so how was I able to load $500 GC using a pin? Since I have loaded $4550 for the month, do I now have only $450 left for CC limit or is it $950 if the GC counted as a debit load?
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
    Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
    Used a grocery store purchased VGC to load $500 to my RedBird with a debit pin at Target. I've also loaded 4K by credit cards so far. My question is did Target load as a CC even though I used a 4 digit pin for the VGC when loading?

If not, RedBird has a daily load limit of $200 for debit loads so how was I able to load $500 GC using a pin? Since I have loaded $4550 for the month, do I now have only $450 left for CC limit or is it $950 if the GC counted as a debit load?
    It loaded as debit. $200 debit load limit is online, using legitimate (bank-issued) debit cards. Loading in-store doesn't matter what payment method, it's still capped at $2500/day. $5K load limit is total in-store, regardless of payment method, so you have $450 left.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
    Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    I've dug through the locked thread to check the number of posts that mention shutdowns. I can't do linked quotes due to the thread being locked, but I'll do my best to make it easy to locate each post. Make of it what you will - real or a conspiracy among several people.
    From this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...le-lasted.html

Post #4:

Post #53

Post #159

Post #160

Post #302

Post #304

I compared the first letter posted in the ViewFromTheWing thread: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....bird-accounts/
    It appears to my untrained eye that the email posted there wasn't from Gmail because of the way that the header appears. RFDMinnesota's email was from GMail so it may be a completely different person who sent the email to Gary at ViewFromTheWing.
    There are 3 reported shutdowns on that thread - the 2 posted emails and post #10.
    It would be nice if shutdown posters briefly note how they were using the RED Card.

On another note, was driving by Apple Valley with a big group and they decided they wanted a red card too. However, the register was not allowing the signup with some sort of error that the cashiers couldn't figure out either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.