Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HAMMER77777
Precisely what I do. I open These Cards, take The Offer, then run. Im just trying to rack up as many FF miles as possible, as I live in North Dakota, and I like to visit my family in NJ, so I can do it for free. Didn't realize Green had A Bonus like That. Perhaps your Offer was targeted? I will look for That. Currently, Green shows no sign up offer:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...v-viewallcards

Premier Rewards is one of my Next Targets. EVERYDAY currently showing 10k with no Annual Fee, Or 15 k with Annual Fee of $95, I believe.
I have Regular SPG now. As soon as I receive The Bonus (with or without Serve Loading, LOL), I'll move on to Something Else. About Business Cards...are They EZ to sign up for? Can I just do it online, or do I need to yap with someone on phone. I'd much prefer to do it online, so I don't have to worry about keeping my story straight if they ask too many questions about my "business", LOL. Thanks again, bro.. You've been great!
I think the Green card 25k offer is dead unfortunately. ED card is dead as well, at least temporarily.

Premier Rewards would be a good one for you and it has some flight credits that will be useful.

Business cards can be applied for online. You can just use your SSN to apply for them. Sometimes they make you call, sometimes they don't. For the SPG Biz, I was approved instantly online.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I think the Green card 25k offer is dead unfortunately. ED card is dead as well, at least temporarily.

Premier Rewards would be a good one for you and it has some flight credits that will be useful.

Business cards can be applied for online. You can just use your SSN to apply for them. Sometimes they make you call, sometimes they don't. For the SPG Biz, I was approved instantly online.
This will be great. Let me churn through All The Personal Cards, then I'll go the business route. I'll hit up Premier Rewards, though the only offer i see is 25G points. For EVERYDAY purchases, when Im not chasing an offer, I just use my Discover Escape. 2% back on EVERYTHING, plus they have the best customer service. Discover NEVER outsources, which means they are putting American jobs before maximizing Profits, and that does mean a lot to me. That Said, (I realize this is off topic), even when I call a different company, I ALWAYS ask to be transferred to an American. I hope I do my little part in helping keep jobs here.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Been doing some reading about going The Simon Card route. I dont have a simon mall anywhere near me, but can get them through the mail. Problem is, I have A New, Blue Serve, and I have read that These are NOT reloadable in Walmart (only VIP Serve apparently is). Any truth to that?

And more importantly, purchasing Simon Cards with Amex CC; would these count towards Min. Spend? thanks for any insight
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:46 pm

Been doing some reading about going The Simon Card route. I dont have a simon mall anywhere near me, but can get them through the mail. Problem is, I have A New, Blue Serve, and I have read that These are NOT reloadable in Walmart (only VIP Serve apparently is). Any truth to that?

And more importantly, purchasing Simon Cards with Amex CC; would these count towards Min. Spend? thanks for any insight
Re: blue serve not reloading at WM, where did you read that? Completely bogus, AFAIK. All serve products can be reloaded at WM.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:13 pm

So I'm new to MS and thinking about trying it out with the new cc I got. It requires me to spend $1000 for the first 90 days to get the signup bonus so I'm comfortable with that amount. I've been reading up on MS and I'm going to attempt to try when I get my Serve card. I'm thinking of going to CVS and buy a $100 (start small first) VGC and then go to WM and load it into my Serve account, then bill pay my cc with that. Now I have some questions that some of you may or may not be able to answer. I've read several blogs and thread and there are people saying that a lot of places now won't let you buy VGC with a cc anymore, and also VGC at CVS is not working for loading Serve at WM. I live in central Florida so I have access to a lot of stores, just wondering if anyone lives in the same vicinity can answer my questions? Also any clarification about CVS VGC not able to load to Serve? Where else can I by VGC beside CVS,Walgreen or some random grocery store?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:43 pm

I read some where that said the same thing about the regular Serve card, don't remember though, maybe we got that info from the same place. But I signed up not knowing that so now I think I have to cancel that serve card and sign up for the vip one. What about Bluebird? You can certainly sign up for that if Serve doesn't work out.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eonflux
So I'm new to MS and thinking about trying it out with the new cc I got. It requires me to spend $1000 for the first 90 days to get the signup bonus so I'm comfortable with that amount. I've been reading up on MS and I'm going to attempt to try when I get my Serve card. I'm thinking of going to CVS and buy a $100 (start small first) VGC and then go to WM and load it into my Serve account, then bill pay my cc with that. Now I have some questions that some of you may or may not be able to answer. I've read several blogs and thread and there are people saying that a lot of places now won't let you buy VGC with a cc anymore, and also VGC at CVS is not working for loading Serve at WM. I live in central Florida so I have access to a lot of stores, just wondering if anyone lives in the same vicinity can answer my questions? Also any clarification about CVS VGC not able to load to Serve? Where else can I by VGC beside CVS,Walgreen or some random grocery store?
I've heard that the ones at CVS do not work for loading Serve. However, the ones at my grocery store (Jewel Osco) do work for loading Serve. You can also go to OfficeMax which have VGC's which will work as well.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Wink

Originally Posted by Gimpyknee
Re: blue serve not reloading at WM, where did you read that? Completely bogus, AFAIK. All serve products can be reloaded at WM.
Gimp, I read it here. I hope u are right, but if u scroll down to "New Serve", it shows NOT reloadable at Walmart. Hopefully that datapoint is bogus.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...e-types-guide/
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:48 pm

You can also buy VGC(Vanilla) at Right Aid and most Grocery Stores(YMMV). You can also load those VGC's onto a Serve card at Family Dollar(again, some have said cash only, some are ok with VGC's - YMMV). The downfall of Family Dollar is the 500 per day rule SOME seem to live by. Some have stated they can do a second transaction, but it cant be the same amount. I have a ton of Family Dollars all off the freeway, so I just do my 500 and hit the next spot. Super easy to do.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:49 pm
Suspended

I read some where that said the same thing about the regular Serve card, don't remember though, maybe we got that info from the same place. But I signed up not knowing that so now I think I have to cancel that serve card and sign up for the vip one. What about Bluebird? You can certainly sign up for that if Serve doesn't work out.
Econoflux, the thing is, that I can load Serve DIRECTLY with my Amex CC! Can't do that with BB. I'm still waiting to find out, though, if my Serve Loads count towards my Min. Spend. I've heard and read "yes", and I've heard and read "no".
Still not sure about it.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:58 pm

Gimp, I read it here. I hope u are right, but if u scroll down to "New Serve", it shows NOT reloadable at Walmart. Hopefully that datapoint is bogus.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...e-types-guide/
Initially when the new versions of Serve were launched, only some of them were working for loads at Walmart. About 1-2 months ago all versions of Serve began working at Walmart, although some of them with a fee. I have updated the guide. Thanks for pointing out the out of date information.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milestomemories
Initially when the new versions of Serve were launched, only some of them were working for loads at Walmart. About 1-2 months ago all versions of Serve began working at Walmart, although some of them with a fee. I have updated the guide. Thanks for pointing out the out of date information.
That link still show not reloadable?

Last edited by HAMMER77777; Nov 6, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by refundme22
You can also buy VGC(Vanilla) at Right Aid and most Grocery Stores(YMMV). You can also load those VGC's onto a Serve card at Family Dollar(again, some have said cash only, some are ok with VGC's - YMMV). The downfall of Family Dollar is the 500 per day rule SOME seem to live by. Some have stated they can do a second transaction, but it cant be the same amount. I have a ton of Family Dollars all off the freeway, so I just do my 500 and hit the next spot. Super easy to do.
Hey, thanks for the info. I don't like going into cvs so if the visa from them doesn't work that's fine with me. We don't have rite aids around here but there are a bunch of regional grocery stores here. I also have a lot of simmon malls so I'll probably go that route. I feel funny going into a grocery store buying nothing but a $500 gift card.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Hey, thanks for the info. I don't like going into cvs so if the visa from them doesn't work that's fine with me. We don't have rite aids around here but there are a bunch of regional grocery stores here. I also have a lot of simmon malls so I'll probably go that route. I feel funny going into a grocery store buying nothing but a $500 gift card.
Nothing wrong with it. No reason to feel unusual.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

This is a PITA. Tried to transfer $ from Serve to my bank account. The Serve website let me do it by linking my bank account. However, Days later, no transfer (The Full Amount still shows as available on Serve). Also, Serve website didn't have any record of my routing or account no.'s.
So I called Serve, and they claim, as of Oct. 28, we can no longer transfer from Serve to bank account. Not a major issue, as I can just use their Free ATM, then Deposit manually into my Checking account, but it just adds an unnecessary extra step, LOL. Anyone run into this, or did I just have an idiot, clueless agent on the phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.