Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by 4bidden
First off - thanks to everyone for answering the questions in here.

I have read all of the wikis and my main question is what is the preferred way to drain your account after doing loads and having a couple thousand in your Serve? I know the available ways, but people mostly talk about the ways to add, not necessarily how they're getting 1000s OUT of the account.
I have used B/P extensively to pay for almost all my bills except those I can pay on Evolve and earn 1% from DiscoverIT. You can also do regular spend for small amount like drinks, fastfood, etc; with a lot of activity going on in your account, it would be "relatively" safe to w/d via ATM up to $750/day using MoneyPass ATM for no fee or also w/d to your linked bank account. It is NOT advisable to do bank nor ATM w/d frequently because once your account is scrutinized by humans and account shows you've just been loading and depositing to your bank account and/or w/d via ATM, you'll likely get suspended, if not outright shutdown. I suggest you read Serve's Cardholder Members Agreement for more details and be informed which activities might put you at risk for shutdown.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
You can also do regular spend for small amount like drinks, fastfood, etc;
Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't using the Serve card for 'regular spend' where I could just use the original CC itself (and not deal with buying VGC with CC > loading > using Serve card) sort of defeat the purpose of MS?

Or did you just mention that so that the account is not just filled with deposits and withdrawals?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:00 pm

Acronyms Everywhere

Hi guys,
After rummaging through as much information as I could I still need a bit of help with making my initial spend on my new Southwest Credit Cards to get the 50k RR.

in the simplist terms without too many acronyms about VR or MC or ACH, or the dozens of other acronyms I am not familiar with, can you help me with the following:

I signed up for serve and I have softcard preloaded on my phone. I understand I can load up to $1500 a month straight from the app, which is great, but I still need to build up $2500 to meet the total initial spend.

I need to do this quickly as my travel date is middle March, so I need to get my statement close date right at the start of the month and have made my initial purchases by said date.

My plan is to use the serve to pay off an older credit card, so I know where all the money is going.

I just have to get it from point A to point B while still qualifying for the miles.

Do I need to buy Gift Cards with Debit Pin to take to a store and load onto the Serve card, or can I load in store directly from the credit card?

If I can afford to float the capital for a month, is it simpler to load as much as I can online from the card itself and then go buy the rest in gift cards that I then hold on to until the following month when my $1500 online load ability resets than to deal with a store?

I'd prefer to avoid as many gift card activation fees as possible, and I would like to avoid the mess of trying to "pull one over" on a cashier altogether if there is an easy way around it.

I considered signing my wife up for a second Serve card and loading each of the Chase cards onto a different serve card, is that plausible, or is Serve a "one per household" sort of thing?

I am sure that these questions are probably answered in the 550 pages on the Serve thread or the other MS thread, but I was hoping to catch some helpful person in a good mood to keep me from spending hours searching.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by 4bidden
Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't using the Serve card for 'regular spend' where I could just use the original CC itself (and not deal with buying VGC with CC > loading > using Serve card) sort of defeat the purpose of MS?

Or did you just mention that so that the account is not just filled with deposits and withdrawals?
correct, the regular spend involving small amounts usually <$5 are for purposes of putting "regular" activities on the account so it doesn't look like you're just loading from a credit card and taking out money immediately.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by TNMike
Hi guys,
After rummaging through as much information as I could I still need a bit of help with making my initial spend on my new Southwest Credit Cards to get the 50k RR.

in the simplist terms without too many acronyms about VR or MC or ACH, or the dozens of other acronyms I am not familiar with, can you help me with the following:

I signed up for serve and I have softcard preloaded on my phone. I understand I can load up to $1500 a month straight from the app, which is great, but I still need to build up $2500 to meet the total initial spend.

I need to do this quickly as my travel date is middle March, so I need to get my statement close date right at the start of the month and have made my initial purchases by said date.

My plan is to use the serve to pay off an older credit card, so I know where all the money is going.

I just have to get it from point A to point B while still qualifying for the miles.

Do I need to buy Gift Cards with Debit Pin to take to a store and load onto the Serve card, or can I load in store directly from the credit card?you need the non vanilla VGCs with PIN to load to Serve. you CANNOT load Serve directly with CC at any store; with Serve-SC, you're limited to $500/day up to $1500 a month per account.

If I can afford to float the capital for a month, is it simpler to load as much as I can online from the card itself and then go buy the rest in gift cards that I then hold on to until the following month when my $1500 online load ability resets than to deal with a store? There is a $1.5K limit/month using CC. As to buying GCs to hold on to for future loading, I wouldn't advice it because we never know when rules on loading at the stores are changed, i.e, what's working today may not work by tomorrow. Check what happened to Vanilla VGCs which are now a PITA to load at WM.

I'd prefer to avoid as many gift card activation fees as possible, and I would like to avoid the mess of trying to "pull one over" on a cashier altogether if there is an easy way around it.

I considered signing my wife up for a second Serve card and loading each of the Chase cards onto a different serve card, is that plausible, or is Serve a "one per household" sort of thing? Serve account is one per SSN, not per HH, so your wife can register for her own Serve-SC account

I am sure that these questions are probably answered in the 550 pages on the Serve thread or the other MS thread, but I was hoping to catch some helpful person in a good mood to keep me from spending hours searching.

Thanks for the help!
Check your CCs if primary cardholder's number and AU card's number are different. If they are, you can use the primary number with your name on it to load on your account and your wife can use her AU card with a different number to load on her account. In essence, you'll be putting $3K charges on that CC account thereby making it easy to reach min spend quickly. NOT all AU cards have different numbers than primary (like CapOne Quicksilver, Amex blue cash/BCE/BCP) that's why you have to check. It's important to do this before linking the card because if you get flagged by Serve CPS and asked to upload the card for verification you will likely pass it and they will unblock the card. Problem arises when card numbers get flagged if it's already attached to one account and another member is trying to use it. Some say they get away with this but it is best to avoid getting flagged loading a card number that is already used by another member.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:22 pm

It seems the manufactured spending well has run dry. I used to by vanilla GCs from CVS. I would also transfer money via Amazon Payments.

I recently signed up for a card from Fifth Third Bank and I need to spend $500 to get a $150 statement credit.

I was thinking of using Serve to do this but an quick search says some cards show up as a cash advance so there would be lots of fees.

What do you guys think of paying yourself with cards via Paypal here or Amazon Local? There's a 2.5-3 % fee.

Any suggestions? Will my Fifth Third Bank card read as a cash advance on Serve?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke
It seems the manufactured spending well has run dry. I used to by vanilla GCs from CVS. I would also transfer money via Amazon Payments.

I recently signed up for a card from Fifth Third Bank and I need to spend $500 to get a $150 statement credit.

I was thinking of using Serve to do this but an quick search says some cards show up as a cash advance so there would be lots of fees.

What do you guys think of paying yourself with cards via Paypal here or Amazon Local? There's a 2.5-3 % fee. PP fees are too steep for me, I won't mess with ALR for MS purposes.

Any suggestions? Will my Fifth Third Bank card read as a cash advance on Serve?
since Serve allowed limit is $1K for reg Serve or $1.5K for Serve-SC per calendar month, I suggest you try with a small amount and see how it gets processed. If it goes through as purchase/sale, then you can keep using it to load up to limit. With a small test load, the most CA you'll probably pay is $3 up to $5. Then you can come back to report the results to PIF
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:49 pm

So I just saw a post that has me confused and I am hoping someone here can clarify.

I signed up for Serve at https://serve.com/softcard/ I assumed this signed me up for the softcard version with the $500/day $1500/month online load limit. But now I am reading on a travel blog that in order to have the increased limits you must register for Serve through the Softcard App.

I know I can wait for the physical cards to show up and just test the limit, but I was hoping someone here could clarify this with me so I can remedy my mistake more quickly if I am in error.

Can anyone confirm if the website registration at the /softcard url is a softcard registered Serve account, or do I need to cancel this account and re-register through my phone?

If I have to re-register, can I go and buy a temporary card at the store and register it through the app so I don't have to wait for a new card to arrive in the mail before I start loading the $500/day max?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

So I just saw a post that has me confused and I am hoping someone here can clarify.

I signed up for Serve at https://serve.com/softcard/ I assumed this signed me up for the softcard version with the $500/day $1500/month online load limit. But now I am reading on a travel blog that in order to have the increased limits you must register for Serve through the Softcard App. True.

I know I can wait for the physical cards to show up and just test the limit, but I was hoping someone here could clarify this with me so I can remedy my mistake more quickly if I am in error. you just have to cancel regular Serve account with zero balance.

Can anyone confirm if the website registration at the /softcard url is a softcard registered Serve account, or do I need to cancel this account and re-register through my phone? Cancel current Serve and re-register using your phone app. once you register with SC, scroll down and there will be a link to click to mobile.serve

If I have to re-register, can I go and buy a temporary card at the store and register it through the app so I don't have to wait for a new card to arrive in the mail before I start loading the $500/day max?
No, the permanent card with your name comes quickly in 5 to 7 biz days so no need to buy a temp card.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Or you could go and buy a couple giftcards, load them to a prepaid card of your choice and have them send a check to your payee...
So can any gift card that has pin access be loaded onto a prepaid card? And does that apply to loads at a register or can it be done at a kiosk? For instance, a TIO machine at an Exxon which I believe is a self serve kiosk that is Visa prepaid reload compatible. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:56 pm

Thanks Mamibear. That is what I was afraid of. I cancelled the accounts through the website, easiest card closure EVER. Is it true you need to wait 24 hours to reapply, or can I go into the app and do it right away?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:51 pm

Thanks Mamibear. That is what I was afraid of. I cancelled the accounts through the website, easiest card closure EVER. Is it true you need to wait 24 hours to reapply, or can I go into the app and do it right away?
DH and I were able to re-register within minutes after closing reg Serve UNLESS policies have changed from last year.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
There we go again! Dozens of threads on this forum and yet too lazy to read even the Wiki which is the top entry on each and every relevant thread...
I give you a free tip - there's 3 interesting prepaid cards and all have their own thread here incl. quite exhausting Wikis: Bluebird, Serve, Redbird
I am in a state that does not have Redbird, although I will be getting one soon. I know that you can only have one, not all three. And when I get my Redbird I plan on doing CC loads only. So excuse my inexperience in not considering those three as prepaids, a ss. Now continuing, are there any other prepaids out there that will allow you to load a gift card onto it?

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 11, 2015 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
I am in a state that does not have Redbird, although I will be getting one soon. I know that you can only have one, not all three. And when I get my Redbird I plan on doing CC loads only. So excuse my inexperience in not considering those three as prepaids, a ss. Now continuing, are there any other prepaids out there that will allow you to load a gift card onto it? Anyone other than Julian Brennan, thanks in advance...
You could also get two similarly named American Express for Target cards along with RedBird and kill two birds with one stone when you hit up target.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
You could also get two similarly named American Express for Target cards along with RedBird and kill two birds with one stone when you hit up target.
Thanks for the tip, my only reservation with that is the $3 load fee on the AFT plus the ATM fee to drain it. Just seems a little time consuming. Maybe Julian was right and I am too lazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.