Wiki Posts
Search

Paying rent/bill with credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Paying rent/bill with credit card

Folks in the past I used Vanilla Reload with Bluebird to pay rent and other bills. Is there is a new way to do this since VR cannot be bought with CC? Looking for a way to pay rent with credit card without paying hefty %xact fees
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:01 am

you can still buy a lot of VGCs at grocery stores/drugstores (with fee a little higher than the VRs) that you can load to BB. Too bad you don't have Serve because you can load those with RLits (up to $5K per month) with same fee as VR and pay your rent using B/P. Finding a store that will accept CC for RLs is your next step if you plan to switch to Serve.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you can still buy a lot of VGCs at grocery stores/drugstores (with fee a little higher than the VRs) that you can load to BB. Too bad you don't have Serve because you can load those with RLits (up to $5K per month) with same fee as VR and pay your rent using B/P. Finding a store that will accept CC for RLs is your next step if you plan to switch to Serve.
Loading Serve with reloadit is not in the wiki. I don't think it is allowed.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mata Marta
Loading Serve with reloadit is not in the wiki. I don't think it is allowed.
for those with Serve accounts and want confirmation, go to Settings>>Cash Load and scroll down to read this:

No free cash reload locations nearby? You can buy a MoneyPak® , Vanilla® Reload or Reloadit™ wherever they’re sold. Third party fees will apply.*

FYI.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:21 pm

I have used Reloadit packs to load Serve. Can confirm it works.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 pm

Why not just use your checking account? All of the MSing methods will not save you anything because they all have BP or some other way to cash out. For example, if you use your BB or Serve, all you are doing is paying rent with BB or Serve and the credit card bill with your bank account, as opposed to the other way around.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Use WilliamPaid. I used them for a while, it's a fine method with zero hassles.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Use WilliamPaid. I used them for a while, it's a fine method with zero hassles.
Except for the fees, which is presumably what OP is trying to avoid.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
Why not just use your checking account? All of the MSing methods will not save you anything because they all have BP or some other way to cash out. For example, if you use your BB or Serve, all you are doing is paying rent with BB or Serve and the credit card bill with your bank account, as opposed to the other way around.
Some people get nervous that paying their CC bill via Serve every month will get them shut down, so they pay their actual bills via the MS methods (Serve, etc) and use bank account to pay off CC to avoid "completing the loop" and thus garnering suspicion.

It's also a safer method than sending a regular check through the mail to your landlord if they live out of your area. And some rental complexes/landlords offer rent discounts for using automated payment systems (typically needs to be an ACH debit however, not a bill pay service).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors, Marriott, IHG
The USAA Rate Advantage Platinum MasterCard (https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank...kredirect=true states you can do a Cash Advance with fees waived if that money is transferred to a USAA account.

Example, my rent/mortgage is 2k a month, take out a 2k cash advance, deposit into USAA checking, then write a check for rent and not be charged any fees?

Anyone have any experience using this card/method?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I don't think you will earn points on a cash advance...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:00 am

if you have a paypal account and haven't gotten a warning regarding loading of PPMCs, you can link your PP debit card to RadPad and pay your rent w/o fees up to $1500(?). fees for PPMC is the same as VRs @ 3.95. if you're buying your PPMC at the drugstore (WAG and CVS takes CC for these) or grocery store using OBC, you'll get 5% RD for them and the 1% from PP mastercard debit pays for the fees.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lax555
I don't think you will earn points on a cash advance...
after researching more, it doesn't earn Rewards, period.

Still not bad considering alternatives paying a 3% fee through a 3rd party, and receiving 2% from a rewards credit card (net loss of 1%).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if you have a paypal account and haven't gotten a warning regarding loading of PPMCs, you can link your PP debit card to RadPad and pay your rent w/o fees up to $1500(?). fees for PPMC is the same as VRs @ 3.95. if you're buying your PPMC at the drugstore (WAG and CVS takes CC for these) or grocery store using OBC, you'll get 5% RD for them and the 1% from PP mastercard debit pays for the fees.
For accumulating the most points, yes, that sounds easier than TCB->AMEX GCs->MO/BB->check or TCB->AMEX GCs->GoogleWallet->Checking Account route. A little hassle with finding a grocery store accepting CC payment though.

Easiest way albeit no rewards (also no fees though) could be the USAA card. That's if you qualify for USAA

Lastly, going through RadPad just using 2% earning CC, for a 1% net loss (unless using for the sign-on bonus).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:16 pm

If switching from BB to Serve is on the table, why not just switch to RB?

Load RB from CC (no fee/earns points). Bill Pay rent (no fee).

Done and done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.