Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
True. In other circles, most of the hh finished out their limits in quick fashion and some also got canned by Chase (spent too fast and too many supply stores per day according to their guesses).
If the first thing some folks do once they get the Ink or once their new 12 month cycle starts is go out and do the 50K in a couple weeks, they deserve to be canned. That's just dumb and totally unnecessary. If a cc company/bank gives you a limit and a timeframe, use it accordingly.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If the first thing some folks do once they get the Ink or once their new 12 month cycle starts is go out and do the 50K in a couple weeks, they deserve to be canned. That's just dumb and totally unnecessary. If a cc company/bank gives you a limit and a timeframe, use it accordingly.
While, if like last month staples 20% off, I like to finish in three days.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
I hope you're joking, but if not, good luck. Relationships with Chase can be guillotined at any time for any reason permanently. And hitting Staples for 5figures in gift cards in less than a week is a good way to risk it.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
When a deal is that good, it doesnt really matter if you are making 1x or 5x. I dont do above a certain $ value per month on my card. There will always be other deals in the 5x category to cash in on, so one deal isnt worth ruining your relationship with a credit card issuer, especially chase.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:42 pm

Is it still required to scan the code? I went to teh local OM and was told no barcode is needed, bought two, and yes, the discount is automatically applied (however, my OM enforce the limit so I can only get 2 cards)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:42 pm

bought 6 cards, got $40 in cashback (discount, rather)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

ugh cash only at one store that did have the promo sign
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:07 pm

The store I hit tonight couldn't find the coupon book so they gave me $20 back in cash which almost made up for only having $100 cards.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:26 pm

Went to two OMs tonight, first one just had 1 $200 left and many $100. Second OM had the $200 hidden somewhere and they got them out was told that their machines are down and they were unable to activate the gcs.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Thanks to Doctor of Credit for this most wonderful tidbit of info!

Anyone been able to split credit card payments on these transactions? (Don't have Ink). I would hit the Amex promo offers and then look to next best card for rewards/cash back to finish the deal.

Anyone have an opinion about rolling the other GCs from the last promotion into these?

Thanks.

Update: Cashier split my payments between two Amex cards @ $50 each (for $20 statement in credits) and then my 1.5 cash bonus Visa. I was way over on the other side of town from where I was staying, headed toward $2.12 gas at Costco when I stumbled across Target and OM in same shopping plaza. Traffic was backed up as far as the eye could see, so the stopoff got me AFTs loaded and OM GC deal. There is a OM 3 miles from where I am for the holidays, so I may get a 2nd try at this!

Last edited by jan_believes; Dec 22, 2014 at 5:57 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Anyone have an opinion about rolling the other GCs from the last promotion into these?
Why give up the easy points on whatever card you planned on using?? Just dump the old cards at BB and repeat.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Anyone been able to split credit card payments on these transactions? (Don't have Ink). I would hit the Amex promo offers and then look to next best
card for rewards/cash back to finish the deal.

Thanks.
yup had no problem split tendering
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
Is it still required to scan the code? I went to teh local OM and was told no barcode is needed, bought two, and yes, the discount is automatically applied (however, my OM enforce the limit so I can only get 2 cards)
I think some OMs are being upgraded to not require coupons. One I went to did not require scan, another did. The one that did not require coupon scan, also did not print the little "activation" slips, which is something new I've never seen before.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by vinhboy
I think some OMs are being upgraded to not require coupons. One I went to did not require scan, another did. The one that did not require coupon scan, also did not print the little "activation" slips, which is something new I've never seen before.
Last week when OM/OD had the Amex GC promo my experience was that it applied automatically at OD but they had to scan the coupon from the binder at OM. This week at OM they didn't have the coupon code in their binder or a sign on the gift card display promoting the deal like they did with the Amex deal last week, and it did not apply automatically either. So neither I nor the manager had any idea if the promo was going on at that location or how to activate it. But it would make sense that they would be moving to the same register software with the merger. Interesting observation. Would be nice if these deals started applying automatically like at OD since IME that makes it easier to get away with making repeat visits during the week until the store runs out.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:40 am

Hit my OM today, they couldn't find the coupon to scan, so after buying three $200 VGC cards, the manager manually returned $40 in cash. He also apologized for the inconvenience. Score! Thanks OP.

I also purchased a few additional items to scramble the VGC transaction total. This is insurance in the event Chase is running data analytic algorithms to identify GC purchase patterns. I plan to visit the same store a different time of day to cash in on more CB!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.