Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by benny08
$6.95 x 2 = 13.9 - 20 = -6.10 (profit) not including whatever card you are using to buy it.
FYI, sometimes they only put the $20 toward the fee at OD, sometimes not.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:49 am

FYI, the scan sheet says limit 1, so if your store doesnt have signage, good luck getting them to give you 2 if they are normally a stickler store (mine normally lets me get everything and for the first time restricted me to just 1, waste of time /sigh)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
There's been reports of Chase shutdowns for those who go bananas hopping from one office supply store to the next and buying an abnormal amount of gcs at each store regardless of each store allowing the person to buy large amounts. Also heard this from a friend at a certain office store who confirmed this (some of his regular gc customers got canned by Chase, not by store). Surely this won't affect those only getting 2 per store, but it may adversely affect others. Beware if you value your relationship with Chase and use self control when entering OM or Staples for gcs.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:38 am

You can get $40 off in a transaction if you buy 3 X $200, with only one scan of the coupon.

Oddly enough, the coupon shows up on the receipt as $40 off $300. Has anyone tried purchasing just $300 (or $400), did it take $20 or $40 off?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
There's been reports of Chase shutdowns for those who go bananas hopping from one office supply store to the next and buying an abnormal amount of gcs at each store regardless of each store allowing the person to buy large amounts. Also heard this from a friend at a certain office store who confirmed this (some of his regular gc customers got canned by Chase, not by store). Surely this won't affect those only getting 2 per store, but it may adversely affect others. Beware if you value your relationship with Chase and use self control when entering OM or Staples for gcs.
It's obviously prudent not to over do it, but Chase specifically caps the bonus at 50K in purchases per year. Seems they have defined their loss and they can't be fleeced to infinity on the Office Supply stores.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
It's obviously prudent not to over do it, but Chase specifically caps the bonus at 50K in purchases per year. Seems they have defined their loss and they can't be fleeced to infinity on the Office Supply stores.
Which is why I was surprised they were bothering to close some accounts. I think must of us have felt like since they had the cap we could do no wrong, but it seems they haven't liked some who try to get to that threshold in a short period of time.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
You can get $40 off in a transaction if you buy 3 X $200, with only one scan of the coupon.

Oddly enough, the coupon shows up on the receipt as $40 off $300. Has anyone tried purchasing just $300 (or $400), did it take $20 or $40 off?
$20 off.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:35 am

Final total: $1742.55
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spgbus
awesome
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG, SWR
Three clerks at my local Office Max did not know how to ring up the $20 off. They got the sign down off the rack and then proceeded to look at all their "scan sheets" . . . nothing. One clerk said "you have to buy the $300 gift card". I told them they didn't have one so I was getting 2 $200 ones. They proceeded to give me $20 cash -- sweet!!!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:15 pm

This deal is not available in all Office Max locations. I'm here in Ohio for the next couple weeks and so far in this area (NE Ohio) haven't found an OM that has this deal (no sign, no scannable code at registers, manager have no knowledge of it or emails). So far, it looks like it's select areas or the third party who stocks the stores and puts up the signage hasn't made it to all locations in this area. One store even went through the purchase process hoping the offer was available and nothing. Disappointed.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Wow. My OM's would have a conniption and be asking for paperwork etc for that many in one stop. I'm not sure why they're so skittish around here. All one trans?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
This deal is not available in all Office Max locations. I'm here in Ohio for the next couple weeks and so far in this area (NE Ohio) haven't found an OM that has this deal (no sign, no scannable code at registers, manager have no knowledge of it or emails). So far, it looks like it's select areas or the third party who stocks the stores and puts up the signage hasn't made it to all locations in this area. One store even went through the purchase process hoping the offer was available and nothing. Disappointed.
No, its pretty much a nationwide deal, whether or not your stores know about it. It took the cashier at mine like 15 minutes to figure it out and go print out a scan sheet for it (they didnt have one at the register). It just depends on how good of customer service you have at your OM....
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also a $10 back with $50 spend Amex offer for OfficeMax.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
No, its pretty much a nationwide deal, whether or not your stores know about it. It took the cashier at mine like 15 minutes to figure it out and go print out a scan sheet for it (they didnt have one at the register). It just depends on how good of customer service you have at your OM....
I waited 15 minutes also while they tried to find anything about this deal and I walked away empty handed. They were very nice and felt bad that they lost the sale. I'll continue to try other locations. If they would have at least had the signage then they'd have something to go from. Maybe whoever is responsible to stock these and provide signage is MIA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.