Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I wasn't bashing anyone, I just posted my musings on how lucrative I really thought this promo is for most of us who have to live with transaction limits. Sometimes people get carried away and do incorrect profit/hour analysis and that's what I caught myself doing.

Then a few people, ahem, started chastising me for trying to talk people out of doing this, not understanding the profits, etc... Just go do what you all want, doesn't matter to me but I thought this is a forum for sharing ideas. My stores carry plenty of GC at OM/OD, I have no reason to fear they'll run out and talk someone out of it.
I agree with you on many points, I am in a MS friendly area and I do 50 to 75k a month with no losses but I sell a lot of giftcards as well and I do a lot of Amazon trade-ins. There are many aspects to this hobby, flyertalk is good for some but you need to join one of the dozen slack communities if you really want to get updated info. The 4 places I sell to you wont find in google. I would recommend going to the Chicago Seminar on MS - very cheap and you will learn a lot but mostly networking.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
Every so often I give my favorite people that sell me Money Orders a $5 amazon gift card with a thank you note - you will be surprised how much that gets you in the end. I can do 4 or 5k of MO's with no paperwork, etc.
That's good advice. I do the same (Starbucks GC). I find that once reps get to know me, and understand what I do, they're genuinely happy to see me. I'm on a first name basis with many of my regular reps.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
my OfficeMax told me they got a memo from corporate that they are pulling the sale early (at midnight)... so if they are telling me the truth, today is the last day. just an fyi
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by freeloader
my OfficeMax told me they got a memo from corporate that they are pulling the sale early (at midnight)... so if they are telling me the truth, today is the last day. just an fyi
That would be odd because they've had this promotion before many times (actually more generous due to the $600 purchase with 2 discounts), so it's not like they've had unexpected losses.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
That would be odd because they've had this promotion before many times (actually more generous due to the $600 purchase with 2 discounts), so it's not like they've had unexpected losses.
Well someone got steamrolled last week with the $20 off $106 last week. I couldn't believe when they announced the $15 off $300 directly afterward.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

I've got the same notice at my local OM
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:35 pm

Heard the same at my Office Depot. COB tonight.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well dang! I was just in OM 15 minutes ago, and my favorite lady said "see you tomorrow". Guess she didn't get the memo.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Walked into my OM and the GC sale sign that was above the GC rack all week was now missing. However, I still got the $15 rebate on my 2 VGCs.
I will have to see tomorrow if this is still the case.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Walked into my OM and the GC sale sign that was above the GC rack all week was now missing. However, I still got the $15 rebate on my 2 VGCs.
I will have to see tomorrow if this is still the case.
Ditto.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:18 pm

My friendly manager told me she got the memo and deal is ending tonight.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:29 pm

not only was there an initial memo letting them know it ended tonight; there was a later memo telling stores to pull the display immediately.

we may have seen the end of OD/OM deals. the attention generated when last week's mistake deal was foolishly broadcast to the masses by the Mortician of Deals (TM), made it's way all the way to the top. so much so, that this week's MUCH lesser deal was on their radar enough to pull it early as well.

our only hope now is that the Amish overthrow the government, ban the internet, and make blogging a capital offense...

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Apr 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
not only was there an initial memo letting them know it ended tonight; there was a later memo telling stores to pull the display.

we may have seen the end of OD/OM deals. the attention generated when last week's mistake deal was foolishly broadcast to the masses by the Mortician of Deals (TM), made it's way all the way to the top. so much so, that this week's MUCH lesser deal was on their radar enough to pull it early as well.

our only hope now is that the Amish overthrow the government, ban the internet, and make blogging a capital offense...
Then again, who knows if they won't end up doing something stupid like $15 off $100 limit 2 in a few weeks or months.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:23 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
not only was there an initial memo letting them know it ended tonight; there was a later memo telling stores to pull the display immediately.

Hasn't every one of these save $x on y$ of visa/mc/whatever gift card promotions made it's way to the bloggers? I'm assuming that that $10 off $100 or whatever just made it more accessible to the masses since they weren't going in on $600 at a time. When I talk to cashiers at my local OD's they say they sell a lot during these but it's the same group of people doing it over and over.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:23 am
jk2

Why some managers are so stubborn?

I never had a problem in my OD store, but yesterday it was a manager at the register. He said that variables are cash only. He offered me to get 3x$100 fixed ones. I said "sure, if you cover the fees". And after some thoughts, he did. But register screwed a $15 off discount (or he did). He thought for a minute how to solve it and then decided to give me $15 cash.

Well, he would avoid all this trouble if he wouldn't be so stubborn and rang regular variable visas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.