Community
Wiki Posts
Search

True cost of MS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tilleyd
Well, VSE is temporary, its ending 12/31/2014. I guess I was writing this for the future state.
This is your first post in this thread how could you be writing for the future state.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
This is your first post in this thread how could you be writing for the future state.
ROFL....Classic!!!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:45 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Stoughton
y'all need to determine that for yourself

like the slogan of that one chan goes: characters welcome y'all need to take it easy on jeniqua.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by particlemn
Based on some other postings, it would seem they're the same person. tilleyd = FranscescaJenica
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:11 pm

Based on some other postings, it would seem they're the same person. tilleyd = FranscescaJenica
You mean this one?

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica
tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:12 pm

Well, VSE is temporary, its ending 12/31/2014.
Do you have a source for this statement?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by darkeststar
Terms and Conditions pop-up on the VSE website says that the Staples promo expires end of the year. Many others do too, so hopefully it's just the way they do it and it gets renewed.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87

like the slogan of that one chan goes: characters welcome y'all need to take it easy on jeniqua.
That would be the USA network my friend.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:38 pm

Yes my source is another FT thread. I frankly don't remember which one
Though
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:59 pm

Yes my source is another FT thread. I frankly don't remember which one
Though
From the T&Cs from the VSE website for Staples.

Terms & Conditions
Offer valid from 01/01/2014 to 12/31/2014.
Valid on qualifying purchases of $200 or more made in the U.S only at Staples retail locations, by phone at 800-333-3330 or online at staples.com
Offer not valid on purchases made through Staples Business Advantage, Staples National Advantage or Staples Industrial
Offer applicable only to qualifying purchases made with a valid enrolled Visa Business card
Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law
Discount provided as a statement credit on a future account statement
Applicable taxes must be paid by bearer
Offer only redeemable in the U.S.
Offer may be subjected to additional terms and conditions. Please see the VisaSavings Edge Terms & Conditions for more information
© 2014 Visa U.S.A. Inc.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The fees are nothing compared to the value of your time, which is really up to you.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: Several dozen
Don't forget the cost of transportation to buy and unload the cards. MS at the casual level is likely a breakeven proposition at best after strip mining credit card sign on bonuses. That is assuming the casual MS folk fly economy.

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica
y'all, i'm seeing how costly MS can be. for example, if I buy $4,000 worth of VGC from OS using Ink-Plus (twenty $200 VGC Cards) , that translates into 20,000 Ultimate-Reward Points with the 5X multiplier.

But it cost me $139.00 in VGC fees to earn the 20,000 points!!!! That's about .7 cents per point.

Is spending $139 really worth it for 20,000 points? Is there a cheaper way to earn the points?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Don't forget the cost of transportation to buy and unload the cards. MS at the casual level is likely a breakeven proposition at best after strip mining credit card sign on bonuses. That is assuming the casual MS folk fly economy.
At the professional level it's quite lucrative. Some of us run it like a side business....a non-profit as far as IRS is concerned.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I had been suspecting this however I thought Flyertalk allowed only one sign-on per person. I would hate to think someone here might be violating the rules
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:04 am

When I talked about MS to another colleague, they made it sound as though "how poor do you have to be to do this?"

Yet it's pretty much the opposite. To me it seems like most MSers are already well off, and do this as a hobby &/or to minimize travel costs. Where a normal well off person would fly economy & stay at a mid tier hotel for their annual vacation, an MSer will fly first class & stay at a top tier hotel, for less money.

That's the value I see in it at least. I'm new to MS and haven't scaled yet. But for now, I already see the benefit... it's not about free hand-outs, it's about getting more (much more) for less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.