Wiki Posts
Search

big probs unloading vgc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
big probs unloading vgc

Hey guys, in preparation for buying some sports equipment from can from some people I bought 3500$ in vgc. I read all the posts on turning into MO but I went to two Walmarts where the machines rejected the vgcs as "invalid payment form". So I went to my post office and tried as well. Same problem. Cashier said some GC weren't allowed by the system. I'm perplexed here since I've read the data points on successful liquidation and this seems irregular. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:43 am
Suspended

Are they Vanilla brand gift cards?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hgeek23
Hey guys, in preparation for buying some sports equipment from can from some people I bought 3500$ in vgc. I read all the posts on turning into MO but I went to two Walmarts where the machines rejected the vgcs as "invalid payment form". So I went to my post office and tried as well. Same problem. Cashier said some GC weren't allowed by the system. I'm perplexed here since I've read the data points on successful liquidation and this seems irregular. Any suggestions?
I think you missed the topic discussing vanilla branded vgcs at WM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ing-ov-wm.html
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You didn't read enough. VGC never work at the post office. As for Walmart, Bancorp-issued VGC (the Vanilla brands) don't work there with any semblance of consistency. I'm assuming that's what you got? Try grocery stores.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
As a newbie, $3500 in GC is a lot to take a risk on. In hindsight, better to have bought one GC and tried to unload it. Worst case, you will have to use them for your usual spend.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Sigh
They are not vanilla cards. They are normal Visa gift cards. Card issued by metabank. Same cards sold on staples website
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
They are not vanilla cards. They are normal Visa gift cards. Card issued by metabank. Same cards sold on staples website
are they metas or usbank?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by particlemn
are they metas or usbank?
Meta
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:17 pm

big probs unloading vgc

Where are you located? If you are really in Japan you are toast. If not, try a kroger. Just buy one $499 money order to get yourself stared.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Located in California. Moved a couple months ago
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Located in California. Moved a couple months ago
did you try to purchase at the money center? or at a kiosk? If t the money center it could have been an employee error, I would try again and this time request one money order for 499.30.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Buying MO from WM kiosks is finicky. I'd be surprised if your Metas don't work at the MC. Or, again, go to a grocery store.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

No Kroger here in redwood city CA.
I did at the mc. Kiosk was broken in both WM.
specific error at wm was "payment method declined" or something like that. We tried with multiple cards.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:09 pm

No Kroger here in redwood city CA.
I did at the mc. Kiosk was broken in both WM.
specific error at wm was "payment method declined" or something like that. We tried with multiple cards.
Have yo checked to that they are active...done a bad!dance check?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:24 pm

Why is it not second nature that after trying 1 or 2 times to liquidate and have issues, to call the number on the back of the card to check if the balance is still there or active?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.