Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Smh

Congrats OP, you've figured it all out. Make sure to stop MS'ing at the amount of your mortgage payment or else you lose.

I'm ready for the OP's next post in a few months: "I've been buying VGC to load to BB to pay my mortgage, taxes, and credit card bills, but I just realized that by doing so I've created a new credit card balance to be paid. It turns out there's a closed loop, no arbitrary bills needed!"
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Smh

Congrats OP, you've figured it all out. Make sure to stop MS'ing at the amount of your mortgage payment or else you lose.

I'm ready for the OP's next post in a few months: "I've been buying VGC to load to BB to pay my mortgage, taxes, and credit card bills, but I just realized that by doing so I've created a new credit card balance to be paid. It turns out there's a closed loop, no arbitrary bills needed!"
dukerau, I have edited my OP. I agree, using BB to pay off credit-card balances puts you in a loop. However, for all the other categories, it makes sense to use BB since you can NOT use a credit card for those...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd
dukerau, I have edited my OP. I agree, using BB to pay off credit-card balances puts you in a loop. However, for all the other categories, it makes sense to use BB since you can NOT use a credit card for those...
You can use your bank account to pay those. You know, the account you DIDN"T use to pay off the credit card because you used the BB to pay that (or else withdraw money from BB to your bank account and pay them both if that feels safer)

Just read what other people have written. Basically you are buying GCs and loading them. You also have other bills. The sum of those bills and the credit card bill is constant. Buying the GCs generates the same reward whatever you do later. So how you split that payments doesn't matter, and using BB to (mainly) pay off the cc is the easiest for many.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 pm

what every1 is saying is u are just over complicating things
u took an extra unnecessary step to pay bills
using GC to pay ur mortgage and ur bank to pay ur CC =
using GC to pay CC and ur bank to pay ur mortgage

except u took an uneeded extra step to pay ur mortgage
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:14 am

ericdabbs, I believe you are missing our point. Let me give you the scenario:

1. Buy $1448.65 in VGC (7-$206.95 VGC cards) from OSS using Ink Plus
2. Load $1448.65 to BB
3. Use BB BP to pay $1448.65 mortgage
4. Use checking account to pay off Ink Plus $1448.65 statement

So in the final assessment of the above scenario Either $23.78 ($72.43 cash back - $48.65 card fees) B-$49 fees - 1.5%) or 7,243 Ultimate Reward Points (1448.65*5) can be earned. Based upon others' feedback, saving the points and transferring to an airline partner is the preferred route.

The alternate scenario (paying your mortgage directly from your bank) would NOT have earned any cash back.
Thanks for the lecture but you are still missing the point. Like others have said, you would have earned your UR rewards even if you just used the funds to pay off your CC. You are trying to justify that you have to use those BB funds to pay your mortgage in order to get the UR points which is simply not true. Think about it over night and you will realize it makes no difference. Otherwise, I'll let you continue on in your belief that you are somehow getting an upper advantage than what the rest of the others are doing.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Guys, read my scenario analysis and tell me where my math is off... Rather than offering fragmented responses please post in logical order of events the error in my assessment. I can't emphasize enough the distinction of earning 5x rewards vs. sending a check to the mortgage company...sending a check debits the bank account, but it sacrifices the 5x ink plus multiplier in the process.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:36 am

Guys, read my scenario analysis and tell me where my math is off... Rather than offering fragmented responses please post in logical order of events the error in my assessment. I can't emphasize enough the distinction of earning 5x rewards vs. sending a check to the mortgage company...sending a check debits the bank account, but it sacrifices the 5x ink plus multiplier in the process.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the math is off. Its not. But the point at least I am trying to make is that you can accomplish the same goal (getting your 7K UR points) just by using your BB funds to pay off CC and still use your checking account to pay your mortgage (I know shocker!!!!). Also paying your mortgage via BB just adds another unnecessary complication since not all mortgage payees are on the BB database.

I can bet that if you did that just once, you will see that you will arrive at the same conclusion. But feel free to keep doing what you are doing now if you think it works for you better.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:45 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Ericdaabs, thanks for patiently explaining, at last I realize what you are saying. I will adjust my approach. I think paying off the card balance is the way to go with BB as it is the easiest approach. Why complicate things!!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:13 am

can you elaborate on your scenario analysis?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:30 am

Do you use your Ink Plus for ANYTHING else? Or do you have:

10/1 STAPLES $206.95
10/2 STAPLES $413.90
10/3 STAPLES $206.95
10/4 STAPLES $206.95
10/4 VISA SAVINGS EDGE -$4.14
10/5 STAPLES $827.80

BTW, you see my VSE credit?? Your analysis doesn't have that so I think you might need to do more reading - you're leaving some money on the table.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:24 am

this thread is full of lolz. I brought my popcorn with me and it didnt disappoint.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
this thread is full of lolz. I brought my popcorn with me and it didnt disappoint.
Pass the popcorn, I just ran out.

My favorite part is when OP says that she's "paying bills with a CC that traditionally can't be paid that way."

You know who else is fond of saying that, right?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Tuppins
Pass the popcorn, I just ran out.

My favorite part is when OP says that she's "paying bills with a CC that traditionally can't be paid that way."

You know who else is fond of saying that, right?
My favorite part was the not understanding that using bb to pay bills and your bank to pay the cc is the same thing as using bb to pay the cc and using the bank to pay the bills....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:00 am

hi y'all, this was a very fun thread to read!!! probably one of my favorites

question -- why is using bluebird to pay off the card easier/more recommended than using bluebird to pay bills? i'm confused about that part.

do tell!!! you guys rock!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:07 am

Ericdaabs, thanks for patiently explaining, at last I realize what you are saying. I will adjust my approach. I think paying off the card balance is the way to go with BB as it is the easiest approach. Why complicate things!!
post after post things were getting better, and you finally conceded shame on you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.