Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ANC RED-EYE
This thread is closed and contains historic discussion up to 12/31/14. The current thread is here: Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015

Read the wiki and especially the FAQ before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcar...prepaidredcard

Redbird (Target Prepaid REDcard)
    Cash loading at Target: ** - $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

**As of 12/18/14, "Cash" load at target also includes in-store loads by any Credit/Debit card normally accepted at Target

ATM Withdrawals:
    $0 ATM usage at US Target stores* and over
    43,000 US Allpoint network ATMs (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs) Find an Allpoint ATM at: $0 from a Checking or Savings Account
    www.allpointnetwork.com

Redbird is currently only available in the following states:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    California (YMMV)
    Colorado
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota (Minneapolis YMMV)
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio (Cleveland area only)
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania (note for fellow Pennsylvanians: west PA only)
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Virginia
    Wisconsin

You can check which participating Target locations carry the temp Redbird card for purchase
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcar...#store-locator

FAQ
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    Some users report issues with RB in NC however already activated RBs from other states have been successfully loaded via CC at Targets around Raleigh

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are uncomfortable doing so. If asked to go to the CS desk, smile and say "thank you" and do the load at the CS desk. Target CS desk employees are infinitely more friendly than the Walmart MC employees. It is painless and pleasant!

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a Redbird?
    There are differing opinions but the general consensus is that your best option is to simply use the RB Billpay feature to pay off the credit card you used to load with. Some people frown on this, thinking it creates a suspicious 'closed loop'. If you are uncomfortable with this, consider paying off a second, unrelated CC using the BB Billpay feature. The general consensus is that Billpay is less of a red flag than doing ATM withdrawals.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    YES

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    NO.
    You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online: How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    NO.
    The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there.
    Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Can we load Redbird with VGCs/debit cards at Target?
    YES

Q: Can we load Redbird with credit cards at Target?
    YES
    It is possible that Target has plans to change the register to not allow credit cards, but I dont think thats the case.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?
    NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the cards load limits per transaction at Target?
    When reloading the card at Target a $1000 maximum reload per Redbird swipe, $2500 per transaction per day is in place. This is inclusive of all payment types (Ex: if you load $25 from a VGC in one transaction, you can only load $2475 from any other payment source)
    The Target systems have not been stopping anyone from charging above the daily limits but the money just "disappears" (see below)

update: Many have been able to load more than $1000 in a single credit card transaction. For example, cashier will swipe to load $1000 to RedBird, then cashier swipes to load another $1000 to Redbird, then the cashier will do a final swipe of Redbird to load $500. The purchaser can then swipe their CC on the customer terminal to pay for all three loads in one $2500 credit card transaction. This works up to the limit of $2500 per day. More details available here: Post#1904

Update: As of 12/26, some people have reported issues with not receiving full credit for multiple RB reloads in a single CC transaction as specified in the previous update. Always check your receipt to verify that it accurately shows your RedBird "New Balance" increasing with each successive load. This seems to be associated with loading above the daily limit of a temp or perm card (there is no error indicating this or any message at all) Correcting the problem *may* be possible if caught immediately. Otherwise, your only option may be to dispute the transaction with your CC issuer.

Q: Do the CC loads count as cash advances?
    While we dont yet have absolute proof of this, Im confident in saying no. The charges Ive done so far fully appear to be purchases. And, previous experience with the similar Amex for Target card has shown that credit cards are safe to use for register reloads at Target.
    As of 12/31/2014: Loading with Citi credit cards post as purchases

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own drivers license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I cant promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve at Target?
    NO.
    Since Serve and Redbird are on the same technology platform, and since you can reload Serve at Walmart (like Bluebird), it seems reasonable to assume that it would work at Target as well. I tried a Serve card, but it didnt work. So, the answer for now is NO. It wont surprise me, though, if that changes in the future.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    YES.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)
    Original FAQ by FrequentMiler. Significant subsequent clarifications and enhancements by FT community.
    ===============================================
    Q: How to swipe $2500 at a time and add a small purchase

A:Originally Posted by Carl Christensen http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post23944354
    Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
    Carl's updated guide to achieve non even numbers:

Go through express/regular check out. Why? Their screen faces you. I have an excel spread sheet printed off showing the number I want to load. Somehow, having a print off and pointing at the numbers causes more confidence and less questions.

1. hand card and tell them to swipe bar up and that you plan on having them swipe three times for three loads
    2. tell them 1000
    3. Warning that Target Gift Cards may not be used - they press K1 (after I train them they keep their hand hovering over K1 for more loads)
    4. Glance at their screen to check that it shows the load (it will show a line item with 1000 etc)
    5. Tell them to swipe again
    6. Repeat 2,3,4,5
    7. repeat 2 (500 this time), 3,4
    8. Hand them a pack of gum or pop and ask them to scan it (important this is done last and not first. If done first it will just pay)
    9. They might have to hit a final key I'm not sure, but I tell them I'm ready to pay
    10. I swipe my credit card
    11. show last 4 of card to them to type in
    12. After a pause (sometimes longer than others) it prints off a receipt.
    13. If your card is denied the screen will change from light blue to red. At this point I will tell them to cancel and I go sit down on the bench in front of them to call card company.
    14. Check your receipt immediately to make sure you see successful 3 loads.
    15. Step out of line and complete record keeping and then go back through line again for next red card.

This process yields one cc charge that is a non even number.

I sometimes do non even numbers (937.23 ie) if that is how much is left to meet minimum spend on my cc before I go to the next CC.

If your total load is small enough (13x.xx did not require), it does not require them typing in the last 4 digits.

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard:

https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2014

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:48 am

I wonder when Amex is going to make an iOS and Android app for this card.
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:39 pm

Slightly OT, but has anyone noticed a "Target Prepaid Visa" card at their local Target? It comes in a black package and it seems to be a fixed $400 with a $6 fee. It says it's non-reloadable and they had them at almost every register. I wish I had paid more attention or taken a picture because I was frantically searching for an Amex for Target card at the closest Target to me that has them ~1 hour from where I live, of which I did eventually find the last one in the store (yay!). I haven't seen these Visa Prepaids at any of my local stores but if purchasable on CC (and especially AGC) they would be a home run.
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:50 pm

spoke to supervisor from RB about how to reload Redbird and he volunteered that debit OR credit cards are accepted, but warned that some stores may be hesitant about since fraud/stolen cards..but that the system is set up to receive and process them as valid tender for a 'cash reload at register'.

my permanent is on its way in the mail....

practically speaking..it seems although we should be able to load up to $5000/month, since we can only ATM withdraw $2000, why would you want to leave the $3000 sit there?

now if billpay was in play perhaps there is still hope for this card..im told bill pay will be limit of $5000/month for unregistered payees and $10,000 limit for registered ones.

we can move money up to $2500 card to card (not sure the real benefit there of this)?

this card has potential to make BB a thing of the past IF the CC info i was given is correct.....in a few days well know for sure
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by chrashduff
    spoke to supervisor from RB about how to reload Redbird and he volunteered that debit OR credit cards are accepted, but warned that some stores may be hesitant about since fraud/stolen cards..but that the system is set up to receive and process them as valid tender for a 'cash reload at register'.

my permanent is on its way in the mail....

practically speaking..it seems although we should be able to load up to $5000/month, since we can only ATM withdraw $2000, why would you want to leave the $3000 sit there?

now if billpay was in play perhaps there is still hope for this card..im told bill pay will be limit of $5000/month for unregistered payees and $10,000 limit for registered ones.

we can move money up to $2500 card to card (not sure the real benefit there of this)?

this card has potential to make BB a thing of the past IF the CC info i was given is correct.....in a few days well know for sure
    Welcome to FT. Glad your first post was about calling into American Express about loading one of their prepaid products with a credit card.
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:54 am

Would it be crazy if I bought a ticket to one of these states just so I could get this card...lol
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
    Originally Posted by sedubby
    Would it be crazy if I bought a ticket to one of these states just so I could get this card...lol
    Make a mileage run out of it! I'm contemplating a 6 hour drive (each direction) for one (or two). I'm just waiting for some confirmation the card can be loaded at any Target.
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze
    Welcome to FT. Glad your first post was about calling into American Express about loading one of their prepaid products with a credit card.
    ha..thats pretty funny take on what i said ??? .. lol

actually, the call lasted about an hour total..this supervisor was VERY proud of this card and was excited to share ALL the benefits with me *sigh*

he delineated the various ways to load (online/store) i simply listened and learned a whole bunch... its not always needed to ask the REAL question in order to get the answer you are looking for

me: 'so what other benefits does this card have over BB?'
    supe: 'it has flexible ways to load in store and online'
    me: 'great! can you tell me more please'?
    supe: 'you can load in store via........xxxx and also online via ......xxxx'
    me: 'sounds like a great product! can't wait to try it out.'

*guessing your remark was a dig taken at me thinking i foolishly brought attention to this method...but you gotta be smarter than the average bear if you want to succeed in this game...LOL* thanks for your concern

new to FT family (been lurking a while), but not new to the game !!

*excited for this product to arrive and test drive !!!*
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
    ha..thats pretty funny take on what i said ??? .. lol

actually, the call lasted about an hour total..this supervisor was VERY proud of this card and was excited to share ALL the benefits with me *sigh*

he delineated the various ways to load (online/store) i simply listened and learned a whole bunch... its not always needed to ask the REAL question in order to get the answer you are looking for

me: 'so what other benefits does this card have over BB?'
    supe: 'it has flexible ways to load in store and online'
    me: 'great! can you tell me more please'?
    supe: 'you can load in store via........xxxx and also online via ......xxxx'
    me: 'sounds like a great product! can't wait to try it out.'

*guessing your remark was a dig taken at me thinking i foolishly brought attention to this method...but you gotta be smarter than the average bear if you want to succeed in this game...LOL* thanks for your concern

new to FT family (been lurking a while), but not new to the game !!

*excited for this product to arrive and test drive !!!*
    I don't want to point out the obvious... But remember that proposal to limit access? Lolz
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:28 am

... its not always needed to ask the REAL question in order to get the answer you are looking for . . . . . guessing your remark was a dig taken at me thinking i foolishly brought attention to this method...but you gotta be smarter than the average bear if you want to succeed in this game...
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
    Yes because the quote you just presented above is ONLY for the online debit card load which is correct in that gift cards are not allowed. Thank you for reconfirming that. You must have forgotten that BB/Serve loads at WM fall under the "Cash" section which on the website says for in this case for Redbird cash reloads at Target is

"Cash a convenient way to immediately add cash to your Account.
    Free Cash Reloads at the Target register: Add cash for FREE at any Target location in the U.S. You can add as much as $1,000 or as little as $0.01 for FREE to your personalized card. Just give your Prepaid REDcard and cash to the cashier and your money is immediately added to your Card. It's that easy!"

Oh and if you think your little quote above applies to just the Redbird card, here is the reference for the Serve card under Adding money section
    "How do I add money to my American Express Serve Account?
    Debit/Credit Card add money from your debit or credit card (cash advance fees may apply for credit card loads; check with your credit card issuer for details). Please note: Gift cards cannot be used to add money."

https://www.serve.com/help/?intlink=...response1-help

And to your point about the wiki, I never claimed this is a end all be all completed wiki. The card just was released over the weekend and there is no one who has the permanent Redbird card yet and it is a work in progress so sit tight. I am just documenting what we currently know. As we get more data points as we do with any new MS avenue the wiki will be updated as such and hopefully confirm that we can use VGCs for loading at Target.
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:11 pm

Just to share my experience so far:

Seeing as how Serve is looking like it's on the way out for CC loads, I've been looking at other ways to meet my goal spend.

I picked up one of these from my TGT today - the store had them in every checkout aisle, plus other spots throughout the store. I could not find a single AFT card left (and they used to have plenty), so I guess this is it now.

Bought the temp Redbird w a CC which you can do for the first load (didn't see it noted before but there is a purchase fee of $5 for this card), and also loaded $1000 onto my AFT with the same CC on one transaction. The cashier had never dealt with either of these cards before, and the supervisor was equally clueless.

Initially, was told that my CC denied the transaction. So I went outside to call Chase (was a BA VI that I'd recently put a $0 CA limit on) and was told (after answering lots of ID questions) that the transaction was indeed approved. Went back in, the cashier was so glad to see I returned since the transaction did go through (after about 30 sec., he said), gave me the card and I went shopping.

Intended to use the temp card for the 5% Redcard discount, but when I went to pay for my purchases, the temp card was denied not once but 3 times despite the sticker on the temp card and the insert that said it would be ready to use in minutes (like how I could with my temp AFT). The supervisor who had seen me purchase the temp card didn't know what to do, and suggested I needed to call and register the card.

Well, I have Serve and didn't want to somehow lose the funds in that account by registering for this prepaid card.

Now I've gone ahead and emptied out Serve, and then will register this card. It needs to be registered in order to use the ATM feature, but since it can't be reloaded with CC directly it kind of loses functionality after that. But Serve seems to be going that way too. That's been my luck lately. Set up AP accounts, and bam! two weeks later get the notice about no more P2P through AP.

I figure spending $100 at Target with the 5% discount offsets the $5 purchase fee, and I'll withdraw the cash from the ATM (free). No harm since I have no more use for Serve, right?
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by 0limits
    Just to share my experience so far:

Seeing as how Serve is looking like it's on the way out for CC loads, I've been looking at other ways to meet my goal spend.

I picked up one of these from my TGT today - the store had them in every checkout aisle, plus other spots throughout the store. I could not find a single AFT card left (and they used to have plenty), so I guess this is it now.

Bought the temp Redbird w a CC which you can do for the first load (didn't see it noted before but there is a purchase fee of $5 for this card), and also loaded $1000 onto my AFT with the same CC on one transaction. The cashier had never dealt with either of these cards before, and the supervisor was equally clueless.

Initially, was told that my CC denied the transaction. So I went outside to call Chase (was a BA VI that I'd recently put a $0 CA limit on) and was told (after answering lots of ID questions) that the transaction was indeed approved. Went back in, the cashier was so glad to see I returned since the transaction did go through (after about 30 sec., he said), gave me the card and I went shopping.

Intended to use the temp card for the 5% Redcard discount, but when I went to pay for my purchases, the temp card was denied not once but 3 times despite the sticker on the temp card and the insert that said it would be ready to use in minutes (like how I could with my temp AFT). The supervisor who had seen me purchase the temp card didn't know what to do, and suggested I needed to call and register the card.

Well, I have Serve and didn't want to somehow lose the funds in that account by registering for this prepaid card.

Now I've gone ahead and emptied out Serve, and then will register this card. It needs to be registered in order to use the ATM feature, but since it can't be reloaded with CC directly it kind of loses functionality after that. But Serve seems to be going that way too. That's been my luck lately. Set up AP accounts, and bam! two weeks later get the notice about no more P2P through AP.

I figure spending $100 at Target with the 5% discount offsets the $5 purchase fee, and I'll withdraw the cash from the ATM (free). No harm since I have no more use for Serve, right?
    Did you actually try to reload the card with a CC or are you just assuming that it can't be done?
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:32 pm

Did you actually try to reload the card with a CC or are you just assuming that it can't be done?
    Seeing as how I couldn't even use it for a TGT purchase, I'm not about to try to reload it until it's registered and I can see that the $500 I put on there is actually there.
    Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by 0limits
    Seeing as how I couldn't even use it for a TGT purchase, I'm not about to try to reload it until it's registered and I can see that the $500 I put on there is actually there.
    Gotcha. And I agree, Serve will be dead soon for CC loading.
    Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:02 am

FYI......the temp card you pick up inside of the Target B&M IS NOT reloadable whatsoever(i believe the literature explains this if anyone chooses to read it)....

also, there was NO $5 purchase fee when I picked mine up (perhaps that part is state to state??) definitely a $0 purchase fee for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.