Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Cuant
Most probably Serve was forced by VISA (payment scheme) to change their MCC code to reflect the true nature of their business.

MasterCard is likely to follow their big brother example as they often do.

Some credit card issuers may still qualify this new MCC as purchase

Interesting, What was the merchant code then vs now?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:12 pm

I can confirm that my chase bold was declined because of CA. From my talking to the CSR, it seems that Amex changed the charge as CA hence the chase was declining it
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:40 pm

Add Discover IT as treating the Serve charge as a Cash Advance.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:46 pm

Has anyone had success requesting that Chase rejects the pending cash advance if the limit is not already set to $0? I just sent them a Secure Message to do so and will try to call when I have a chance.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Traveluni
But there are people with $0 CA limit that got declined...
I'm not sure how that's at odds with what I wrote. Some have declined charges. Some reported a change in their available cash advance. Some have seen normal charges as usual. (So far no one has reported a cash advance fee, not that it won't happen.)

bmrisko, No you don't need to call. Last month I used a secure message to lower my cash advance limit.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:49 pm

delete
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I'm not sure how that's at odds with what I wrote. Some have declined charges. Some reported a change in their available cash advance. Some have seen normal charges as usual. (So far no one has reported a cash advance fee, not that it won't happen.)

bmrisko, No you don't need to call. Last month I used a secure message to lower my cash advance limit.
who using a Chase card has seen a transaction from today post as purchase?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
It will never show up. US Bank interface sucks. They finally recently started showing pending charges in the web version.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one here to notice this, thought I was doing something wrong. Do NOT want to mess w/US Bank but since it's my Club Carlson on file w/Serve not sure what to do. Bet Serve CSR is overloaded.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ramlax13
Mine did not post as a cash advance. My cash advance limit is unchanged, and my regular charge is pending. Others are in the Serve thread. Maybe that will change. Really I made that post just to provide more complete information. The title of this thread can make people think everyone was hit with cash advance fees today.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ramlax13
Who has ever had any card where a Serve load posts on the same day? I've never seen any charge on any card post same day; you'll need to wait at least a day, most likely more, for it to move from pending to posted.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
I did. Others are in the Serve thread.
Let's be clear. It did not post - it's in pending. I've never seen a credit card transaction made on a specific day actually post that very same day. And we've seen plenty of instances where something that codes as CA in pending moves to purchase in posted state.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:33 pm

Just a heads-up on Barclays Arrival.

My morning Serve load initially posted in pending transactions as 10/2.
Just checked again and that pending transaction has disappeared.

10/1 Serve load is still pending.

I have a $1 CA limit, but I've heard of others being able to "go over" their CA... I guess we'll see in a few days.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:47 pm

Anyone know if this will affect loading serve with PPDM as their debit card loading source? My load today shows up as a signature purchase.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
It seems like you should include a little more information if you're going to start a new thread. You didn't mention the type of card for example. NOT EVERYONE is getting a cash advance from Chase, as mentioned in the Serve thread.

There are reports of no cash advance today on:
  • UA Explorer Visa
  • UA Explorer MC
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige), Fidelity AMEX

There are reports of a cash advance today on:
  • UA Club
  • UA Explorer
  • Ink Bold Visa
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • Also a Capital One card

As you can see it's not even consistent.

Finally, in the past sometimes Chase has posted these as cash advance at first. After a few days they get changed to a regular charge. If anyone actually got a cash advance fee, you might want to share that.
Received cash advance for UA Explorer Visa today.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Does a cash advance count towards the minimum spend requirement for bonuses at Chase?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.