Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
btw, just to clarify, this $1 credit is part of the Softcard promo to give $1 credit for every $1 and up transaction using Serve-I UP TO $50 each month until Dec 31. If there's a competition, I am hoping Softcard will extend this promo indefinitely so I'll continue to enjoy my $50 credits from Softcard.
Do you get the credit on any ISIS (Softcard) card. I thought it had to be a Serve card. Also do stores let you use Softcard to buy MO and GC?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:12 pm

not really.
trying buying a high dollar GC w your ISIS phone.
most of the cashiers are gona be like give me your last four digits, i wana see your ID blahblabhalbhlabhlabhalbh
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
Do you get the credit on any ISIS (Softcard) card. I thought it had to be a Serve card. Also do stores let you use Softcard to buy MO and GC?
NO, the softcard doesn't hold money. you get your credits in your Serve account. if you swipe your Serve card, you won't get the $1 credit, you have to do contactless payment where applicable.

Since most of my grocery stores and WM don't have the contactless payment, I have not tried for MO and GC. but at WAG, I used contactless payment to take $1 off the purchase fees of my OVs and PPMC and those are credited back to my Serve account.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm not particularly optimistic about any real advantage this will bring to the MS game. While I don't mind being wrong, I don't expect any advantageous loopholes to last long at all, particularly with Apple involved. They're notorious for operational efficiencies and guarding the image of their brand. If they find any type of potential where they could be looked/acted upon negatively, they'll do something about it.
Was this before or after the icloud hack of nude celeb photos?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:21 pm

here's how it has been working for me. I buy one PPMC for $500. Total comes up to $503.95 with fees. I do contactless payment first, register will ask me to verify amount of $503.95, I press NO. I tell cashier to press PAYMENT and type in $1 or whatever amount you want as long as it's $1 or more. Then 1.xx will appear on the screen and I press YES to confirm. Register recalculates and my new balance is now $502.95 or less depending on how much I paid with Softcard. I pay the balance with my blue card. Register asks for zipcode and then signature. Approved.

HTH.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by kingrat
Was this before or after the icloud hack of nude celeb photos?
Total nonsense. First, some of these images were years old, some were from Android and Blackberries and had been floating around the darkweb for a long time. Second, ones that did come from iCloud backups were because people used weak passwords and/or easily guessable security questions. There's no security for stupid. In every incident in the past, regardless of what it was, Apple has owned up to it if they were responsible for something. There's no reason to assume they would lie about iCloud being compromised.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
here's how it has been working for me. I buy one PPMC for $500. Total comes up to $503.95 with fees. I do contactless payment first, register will ask me to verify amount of $503.95, I press NO. I tell cashier to press PAYMENT and type in $1 or whatever amount you want as long as it's $1 or more. Then 1.xx will appear on the screen and I press YES to confirm. Register recalculates and my new balance is now $502.95 or less depending on how much I paid with Softcard. I pay the balance with my blue card. Register asks for zipcode and then signature. Approved.

HTH.
How many $1 partial payments can you do at Wags? I know CVS is limited to 7 swipes.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by subdawg
How many $1 partial payments can you do at Wags? I know CVS is limited to 7 swipes.
I have done ten but not all of those are for OVs or PPMC since they limit to 2 which I am willing to abide. I buy their clearance school supplies for a little above one so they come out some cents after the $1 is credited to my account. I get the credits in 24 to 48 hrs after the transaction.

btw, as always YMMV as to how many you'll be allowed. I have friendly W stores.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: United
ISIS have been doing the thing like apple pay for months, how does this change the MS
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
There's no security for stupid.
On an iphone Apple's Photo Stream is turned on by default, meaning all pictures go to the cloud. I would guess the vast majority of iphone users had the default settings until this story broke.

The sad thing that I have noticed on Flyertalk is the number of people who are savvy about MS, but pretty clueless when it comes to tech skills - especially those that pertain to privacy and tracking. Going forward, tech skills will be very crucial to MS, but I don't see too many people showing either knowledge or interest.

The iphone's payment system has potential, but the people who are going to do best are those that are tech savvy.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Photo streams are not set on by default. You have to enable it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by lingzhou
ISIS have been doing the thing like apple pay for months, how does this change the MS
The OP was inferring to the fact that WG might not ask to see your physical card in order to purchase VGCs, PP, etc. Its rather silly and the OP jumped to huge conclusions because Apple Pay doesn't stop a POS machine from being hard coded to not accept CCs or a cashier from telling you "Cash only" and won't even process the transaction if you use a card.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:35 pm

^^ correct.

for those cards (VR, GDMP, BF) that are hardcoded for cash, once cashier scans them, there is a message on the top part of the screen that says only cash payment is accepted for it while for prepaid GCs and PPMC, no such prompts come out that's why they accept CC payments.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The OP was inferring to the fact that WG might not ask to see your physical card in order to purchase VGCs, PP, etc. Its rather silly and the OP jumped to huge conclusions because Apple Pay doesn't stop a POS machine from being hard coded to not accept CCs or a cashier from telling you "Cash only" and won't even process the transaction if you use a card.
If the stores aren't hard coded but debit only by store policy this could be useful.

My big question is can we load AGCs in to our wallet? Now THAT would be useful.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by payeco
If the stores aren't hard coded but debit only by store policy this could be useful.

My big question is can we load AGCs in to our wallet? Now THAT would be useful.
It could very much be an option, its one of those things that will have to be experimented once the product is live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.