Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do you double check your cards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

so I was doing some cleaning and found my disorganized box of store receipts, MO receipts, spent VRs' and spent VGCs'. I just throw them into the box when I'm done with them, but it occurred to me today, what if I forgot to unload one?

Even with a seemingly bulletproof process, things slip through - think about it, if you have 300 spent cards, all you need is an error rate of .3% to have one card laying around with $500 on it...

My question is, do any of you double check the balance on your cards to make sure it's indeed drained?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:08 pm

I have a basic system. I write down when I buy a card and when I use it. For example, I might visit a grocery store and get $2,500 worth of VGCs. I write that down. Then, when I get $2,500 worth of MOs, I write that down too. If the numbers do not add up, I know that something is up.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by us1549
so I was doing some cleaning and found my disorganized box of store receipts, MO receipts, spent VRs' and spent VGCs'. I just throw them into the box when I'm done with them, but it occurred to me today, what if I forgot to unload one?

Even with a seemingly bulletproof process, things slip through - think about it, if you have 300 spent cards, all you need is an error rate of .3% to have one card laying around with $500 on it...

My question is, do any of you double check the balance on your cards to make sure it's indeed drained?
Before you toss the VGCs into the "box", I always verify that my BB/Serve balance is reflected accurately for the amount that I loaded that session. This shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep things organized. I organize my VGCs from chronological order so the VGCs in the back are the most recent transaction so even if I had to dig the last 10 VGCs it shouldn't take that long. If you are just merely tossing the VGCs into the box, that is YOUR FAULT if S!@$ hits the fan. Another simple system is to use a sharpie and mark each card of what day it was unloaded and to what avenue.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm just going to bite the bullet and check the balance one by one. Probably a solid 20 hours of work
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

You wouldn't notice if you came up $500 short at some point?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:09 pm

I keep cards with money in my wallet and then once drained I put them in my back left pocket. When I empty my pockets everyday the empty cards go into a file folder which every month I bag up and label with the month/year (I keep a separate file folder and bags for receipts but use the same process).

I also keep a spreadsheet and track purchase details and make sure the CC spend equals the cash out methods +/- fees and cashback.

If you are organized, double checking your cards shouldn't be necessary.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:57 pm

Nope. I don't double check. I don't have the interest. In the off chance I've made a mistake, I'll never know.

Drained cards go in a different pocket. Then they go to the trash. If at any point I'm not 100% sure on what's been used, I put it in a different place and check it ASAP.

I'm more worried about losing a money order than a card. This is not a business for people that are overly cautious.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by us1549

Yes I double check to make sure the cards are zero.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
You wouldn't notice if you came up $500 short at some point?
It's not that hard to lose track of a card. I came home after a long work day with some unloaded VGCs and a single loaded one. They were in separate pockets, but I set everything down in a heap and when I cleaned it up later, I was stupid. A card with $500 on it ended up with the unloaded cards. Took me a bit of time to realize I was short, and then the hunt began.

I do keep records, and I keep all receipts, which do have all the necessary information. But I find my memory isn't what it used to be.

After that, I got in the habit of checking each card when I get the opportunity, just to be sure the balance is $0.00 before I throw it in with the spent ones.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:22 pm

As I use cards I use a sharpie to write date and transaction (WMBP FIA, wm mo, etc.)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:47 am

Before putting it in the box, I check the balance online. If it's in the box, it's been checked, by definition.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:17 am

I wrap the receipt around the used GC and put all of the days transactions in a labeled envelope.

A spreadsheet tracks cash vs. Amount on CC's as a check.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:27 am

I always check balances before putting away in a shoebox.

I've caught errors on the part of the merchant (charge billed and then reversed or card not charged for the MO) on about $2,000 in cards now. For you people who just chuck them after use, you'd never know.

I've also caught one or two that I missed charging.

Frankly I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't check. It isn't that difficult.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:38 am

I usually drain GCs soon as I buy them and during those times I experience a roadblock, I keep them in money bags given by local banks. I only transfer them to shoe boxes with corresponding receipts and packaging once I zeroed them out. I also keep a record of where/what/how many I buy and what I do with them and whether I've deposited them to any of my accounts. So far, so good.

Although I have never experienced buying inactivated cards, I have made a habit of writing the last 4 digits of the GC to the package and to the receipt that came with it, just in case I have to ask for assistance.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:46 am

I am guilty of not keeping good records anymore as I've ramped up my spending to close to 6 figures a month. Recently, I tried to open my glove compartment and it was locked. When opening I found $2K worth of cards I had forgotten about. Kind of like finding a dollar in an old pair of pants ---but on a much larger scale. I do, however, mark the cards with a sharpie once spent. I just don't usually check online to verify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.