Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

what answer do you give if a manager @Kroger asks you about MOs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline

For Kroger, I bought a 1k MO at a grocery store ( Let say it is A). Then I went to another grocery store (B) to buy 1k MO, then I went to another grocery store (C) to buy 1k MO yesterday.

When I bought a MO at the third store A, a manager asked me "Did you come to another stores to buy MO before you came here ? and Why didnt you buy 3k MOs at one time?"

I was very surprise when she asked me those questions. I wonder how she knew it? and what answers will you tell if she asked you those questions?

Last edited by happy9zz; Aug 15, 2014 at 10:32 am Reason: at Kroger
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by happy9zz
For Kroger, I bought a 1k MO at a grocery store ( Let say it is A). Then I went to another grocery store (B) to buy 1k MO, then I went to another grocery store (C) to buy 1k MO yesterday.

When I bought a MO at the third store A, a manager asked me "Did you come to another stores to buy MO before you came here ? and Why didnt you buy 3k MOs at one time?"

I was very surprise when she asked me those questions. I wonder how she knew it? and what answers will you tell if she asked you those questions?
She must have been called by the other 2 stores; what you should be concerned about is what triggers their suspicion, or else why would the cashier(?) or manager of the other stores call the other branches? Either you were already in store A's radar for buying VGCs and now MO? If they were already keeping an eye on your activity(ies), your going around different branches caused this manager to ask you this question.

If it was me, I'd lay low from such stores whether or not I have other stores to buy from.

BTW, how did you handle the situation?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:44 am

The only easy out for that situation would be that you were uncomfortable carrying $3k on you at once.

I am interested to hear what you said though.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear

BTW, how did you handle the situation?
play dumb and say you were told once by a manager that there is a 1k/day/store limit
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I usually buy the same amount of MOs. I dont think other stores called her because other 2 store are very friendly. I think she checked the systems and saw that the same amounts were bought at other stores yesterday

How did I handle the situation?
I was very confused because it was my first time with these questions. I answered like "it depends on my business if my business goes up, I buy more." I dont think it makes sense to her.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Worked at Kr0ger through college, I can tell you with 100% certainty that their systems are like something out of the 1980s. No one store would be able to tell if you purchased MO at another location unless A) your using a VIP card which tracks all your transactions or B) they are keying in your information on the MO machine itself. Judging by your low transactions I'd say Mamibear is correct and your likely doing something suspicious enough to be flagged via store to store email.

On a separate note, has anyone gotten the "Not Authorized" message at a KR lately? Every MO purchase attempt in my area with either a MetaBank or US Bank results in this error & declined purchase.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:08 pm

Not recently. Just today?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:26 pm

I usually buy the same amount of MOs. I dont think other stores called her because other 2 store are very friendly. I think she checked the systems and saw that the same amounts were bought at other stores yesterday

How did I handle the situation?
I was very confused because it was my first time with these questions. I answered like "it depends on my business if my business goes up, I buy more." I dont think it makes sense to her.
How can they know it was you? Such MOs have name on it?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by PHX392
Worked at Kr0ger through college, I can tell you with 100% certainty that their systems are like something out of the 1980s. No one store would be able to tell if you purchased MO at another location unless A) your using a VIP card which tracks all your transactions or B) they are keying in your information on the MO machine itself. Judging by your low transactions I'd say Mamibear is correct and your likely doing something suspicious enough to be flagged via store to store email.

On a separate note, has anyone gotten the "Not Authorized" message at a KR lately? Every MO purchase attempt in my area with either a MetaBank or US Bank results in this error & declined purchase.
With VIP card to buy MOs? Cannot imagine someone do that?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonsingular
How can they know it was you? Such MOs have name on it?
I didn't ask her why she knows that. I think she checked the system and saw the same amount I always bought.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

I didn't ask her why she knows that. I think she checked the system and saw the same amount I always bought.
Anyone could have bought the MOs at the stores A and B. MOs are anonymous. People are buying MOs for 1000s of reasons...to pay their rent/security deposit etc

I would say "It was not me" and would avoid that store in the future.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Anyone could have bought the MOs at the stores A and B. MOs are anonymous. People are buying MOs for 1000s of reasons...to pay their rent/security deposit etc

I would say "It was not me" and would avoid that store in the future.
I think honesty is the best. I think she asked me that question because she maybe knew it when she was in her office. I waited for her around 10 - 15 minute before she came out to sell MOs. She still let me bought the second one

This is the situation that I dont know how to answer...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:10 pm

I think honesty is the best. I think she asked me that question because she maybe knew it when she was in her office. I waited for her around 10 - 15 minute before she came out to sell MOs. She still let me bought the second one

This is the situation that I dont know how to answer...
So two money orders and at $500 for each?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

nope, I did 490$ for each. The rest I use Evolve or pay phone bill.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:27 pm

nope, I did 490$ for each. The rest I use Evolve or pay phone bill.
So 490+490 at A; 490+490 at B; and 490+490 at C? If they are able to see the exact money order amount from other stores as well, this does look fishy, especially if there are not many other MOs in between to "dilute" them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.