Community
Wiki Posts
Search

unload Amex Gift card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

unload Amex Gift card

with AP no longer work? I had a couple $200 amex gc (physical) from the latest Amex sync off ($10 credit for $200 amex gc purchase), and i tried to unload with AP 3 times (added to AP account 10+ days ago), the last attempt being only $199, all failed.. What is the other good ways to unload?

thanks
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 pm

I unloaded an AMEX gc this week on AP. No problems. Did you check both accounts sending and receiving limits? Maybe your over?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoppergirl
I unloaded an AMEX gc this week on AP. No problems. Did you check both accounts sending and receiving limits? Maybe your over?
The limits should be fine, the request stayed in pending state for several hours before went to Failed. I don't think I could even send out the request if the limit has reached (the submit payment will fail)

Is yours a physical amex gc (not egc)? Did you first register online somewhere?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by susieling
Is yours a physical amex gc (not egc)? Did you first register online somewhere?

Thanks
Using online purchased AGCs have to be registered first to be used for online spending.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:45 pm

amex for target...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payeco
Using online purchased AGCs have to be registered first to be used for online spending.
I thought about it, but americanexpress.com/mygiftcard only support checking balance and history, I could not find a way to add user name / billing address? How should I register?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
I thought about it, but americanexpress.com/mygiftcard only support checking balance and history, I could not find a way to add user name / billing address? How should I register?
Call the number on the back of the card.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Several dozen
The natives in the jungle definitely seem restless of late over AGCs. That said some are getting blowdarts when the use AGCs while others have no troubles. Business as usual in the jungle, where sometimes you eat the snake and sometimes it eats you.

with AP no longer work? I had a couple $200 amex gc (physical) from the latest Amex sync off ($10 credit for $200 amex gc purchase), and i tried to unload with AP 3 times (added to AP account 10+ days ago), the last attempt being only $199, all failed.. What is the other good ways to unload?

thanks
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Free agent

thanks
When you add the AmEx to your AP account add it with the WRONG expiration date. Go back and edit the card after you've added it and correct the date, then submit the payment. I have no idea why it works but it worked for me yesterday.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:19 pm

The amex gc I used was a physical gift card. I didn't register it ahead of time by calling the number. I just tried it and it worked. Lucky I guess!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
When you add the AmEx to your AP account add it with the WRONG expiration date. Go back and edit the card after you've added it and correct the date, then submit the payment. I have no idea why it works but it worked for me yesterday.
I just unloaded one a few days ago using this method.^
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
Usual reason for doing this because if you provide the correct date, Amazon will put a $1 hold on the card as part of the verification process. If you then try to pay say $500 on a $500 AGC, the available balance is just $499 and it will fail. If you put the wrong date when you add, it isn't able to put a hold, and then, switching to the correct date, allows you to use the entire balance.

Now inquiring minds might want to know: if the $1 hold is needed for some purpose, why doesn't Amazon reject the card when it fails, when given the wrong date? But hey, simple workaround for now.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
Now inquiring minds might want to know: if the $1 hold is needed for some purpose, why doesn't Amazon reject the card when it fails, when given the wrong date? But hey, simple workaround for now.
Don't give the natives any ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.