Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:34 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I'm not sure if a business card is worth anything since anyone can print whatever business they're in, yet it doesn't prove the one handing it is legit.
And it if is legit, it just makes it personal with the IRS.

And forever searchable in Google.

OPs story is consistent with my personal experience. LEOs like to toss out random tidbits of information to toss you off balance.

And they would have done some level of behind the scenes investigation before a visit.

The visit is not the first step. It is the last step in the first act.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
-Go to WM
-buy $10k in MO
-You've received more than $10k

Correct me if I'm wrong.
What WM are you getting 10k at, cause I need to go there.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
You're wrong. Read the instructions, MO purchase with GCs is not a designated reporting transaction, which is the only circumstance in which MOs are treated as cash.
Except, of course, there is nothing prohibiting an FI or governmental agency from filing the various paperwork for much smaller amounts.

Or for non-regulated transactions.

Or even by mistake.

Or <shudder> as retribution for some other unforgivable sin, namely being an unprofitable customer.

And so far as I know, there are really no practical penalties from falsely accusing someone of suspected ML.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:44 pm

I was not home when they stopped by,
They? Your original post was about ONE agent showing up. Frankly, I didn't believe that because, as I said, the Special Agents ALWAYS show up in pairs.

If it was a pair of agents, I've got no reason to doubt what you posted. I withdraw my comment.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi
You may have joined what appears to be a very exclusive club
We need to get hats and handshakes. Really big hats.

Like Ralph Kramden had.

I'm ok with really simple handshakes, though. As I'm pretty clumsy and might hurt myself if the handshake got too elaborate.

Last edited by seat17D; Jul 15, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by BADELAYS
IRS should track FT to see what all the shameless individuals (me included) here do. Making money out of thin air. A perfect movie plot.
You don't understand MS is then. Nothing can be created from "thin air". In this game, there is always a loser(s). Just because you can't figure who's the loser(s) is doesn't mean there is no loser(s).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnandBurn
The comment about the T&C was at the very end. I was suprised as well but based on their comments about this being familar with this it sounds like they ahve heard this before. Clearly the T&C has nothing to do with me and the IRS, it is an issue with the bank and their customers.
Ok, I owe you an apology for doubting your story. I apologize. I'm shocked (which I shouldn't have been) how the CID operates. Think of the time he took to go to your place as well as all the paper work. Government ineptitude at its finest.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Ok, I owe you an apology for doubting your story. I apologize. I'm shocked (which I shouldn't have been) how the CID operates. Think of the time he took to go to your place as well as all the paper work. Government ineptitude at its finest.
Look at it from their perspective.

Let's say the bank files a SAR stating that customer X deposits $8,000 a week of money orders into a bank account. Neither the bank nor the IRS knows whether those $8,000 of money orders were purchased with cash or with debit/prepaid cards.

If the IRS CID is scrolling through FinCen's database of SARs and notices that Customer X only reports wage income from a W-2 that would equate to $1,000 a week of taxable income, Customer X just might in the eyes of some be a guy that CID should run some reports on and pay a visit to. Customer X just might have a pretty lucrative cash business and he might have decided to buy money orders with his cash for deposit, since Customer X might have heard that making large cash deposits is not a good idea if he did not plan to report the profits from his lucrative side business, i.e., his meth lab.

These are the reasons I personally have never liked to have a lot of money order deposits into bank accounts. Even if CID is not involved, the standard approach the IRS uses on civil audit is to make the taxpayer produce all of his bank statements and explain the source of all deposits. It can be explained, but there is a hassle factor.

There are no perfect answers of how to do risk-free MSing. Personally, I think Bluebird type loading and unloading are a little bit less risky, and I think paying the credit card balances directly with money orders reduces the bank account dilemma a little bit, but everything has risk. There are just no perfect answers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:49 pm

There are no perfect answers of how to do risk-free MSing
This, to me is MSing in a gist. No guarantees, this game is not for those averse to risks. It can be considered as playing OPM (other people's money) where we use CCC's money to earn miles/points/cashback.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:29 pm

Was wondering where you were on this thread, ADK. Welcome!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by MsArbi
^ Thanks for sharing. You may have joined what appears to be a very exclusive club of MSers who were visited by a federal agent. I don't doubt your story, but even if it actually were false, it'd be harmless anyway. It seems you may have a green light to go full throttle.
i think this is not the case...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
i think this is not the case...
I agree, especially since they did not ask to see the statements reflecting the debit card charges. While I doubt that the original poster will hear anything more from them, this represents a worrisome development. The IRS will be worried that all real money launderers will think they have to do to avoid further questions about deposits is to say "I have this mileage earning debit card ... "

We are one step closer to the Mint days in which the federal government realized it had created the problem itself and fixed it. Once the IRS requests that the banking folks change the rule that prepaid cards have pins, this is all over, especially now that so few real debit cards generate rewards. The rule was enacted to help small retailers reduce their credit/debit card fees by having their customers enter pins. We all know deep down that hardly ever happens. Anyone think that customers tear open those US Bank packages and write down the pins to help the retailers reduce costs? If the IRS feels it us expending resources on investigating non criminals, it will push for this change.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:41 pm

I'm guessing they already had the debit card statements.

I know my visitors had already served subpoenas on my FIs and had copies of all sorts of statements before they came to visit.

They don't come seeking information so much as confirmation or contradiction. Again, IME. YLEOMV.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If Lois Lerner were an MSer, no doubt she would have taken the 5th. And then she would have gone back into her house and crashed her hard drive. That would have been a winning strategy for the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.