opening iPhone CC account to pay self

Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

opening iPhone CC account to pay self

I just received the Citi AA 100,000 miles for $10,000 spend in 3 months with the anticipation I was going to be able MS a few thousand via paypal to family members and get the money back. After receiving the card, my family backed out. I am trying to find other ways to MS a few grand.

I can't find any places here in the San Francisco Bay Area where I may purchase VR.

I have a business name I use for my business CC, although I don't really have an active business. I was considering using a CC payment app on my iphone, signing up with my business name, connecting the account to my personal checking account, and then using my Citi CC to make a purchase at my business using the iPhone app in the amount of about $3000. The app will charge about 1.7%, plus, I may have to also claim the purchase on my income tax so I don't get in trouble with the IRS.

Other than this, I can't think of any other way to MS when I don't have another person's account to send money to.

I wonder if I could open up a business checking account and link that account to Paypal, and then send money to it using the Citi CC via my personal Paypal account?

I feel pressured because the clock is ticking...I have three months to meet the high spending demand.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:00 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tart-here.html
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by justme8
I just received the Citi AA 100,000 miles for $10,000 spend in 3 months with the anticipation I was going to be able MS a few thousand via paypal to family members and get the money back. After receiving the card, my family backed out. I am trying to find other ways to MS a few grand.
This should not be anyone's plan A as there are tons of less costly solutions out there. $10k in 3mo is no big deal if you spend a few hours reading on here figuring out how to do it (which is ideally what you should have done before you signed up for the cc). Good luck.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I actually did start there and read that. I did a search for my topic and didn't find it.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by skitch23
This should not be anyone's plan A as there are tons of less costly solutions out there. $10k in 3mo is no big deal if you spend a few hours reading on here figuring out how to do it (which is ideally what you should have done before you signed up for the cc). Good luck.
^ good luck op
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:13 am

I agree that you should have had a solid plan in place and done research to provide a few back up options since things can change. But what's done is done.

It would be worth while to read the threads regarding bluebird, serve, and evolve for starters. Open a bluebird or serve account so you can cash out visa gift cards at Walmart. Also note that not all Walmarts in the Bay Area are "debit card" friendly (not all Visa gift cards work for this either btw... info is in the forums but for starters do NOT buy One Vanilla Visa cards if you plan to unload at Walmart). If you're close to a Safeway, you might be able to buy Univision Mastercards with a CC. Those work with bluebird/serve as well.

If this is a one time thing and you only need to MS to meet min spend on this card, consider just buying visa gift cards to make up for the minimum spend you cannot meet with your ordinary expenses. Then use those visa gift cards for business or personal expenses in coming months if you can afford to float several thousand. This will avoid the hassle of opening a bluebird/serve account or messing with money orders.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:21 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I actually did start there and read that. I did a search for my topic and didn't find it.
There must be a reason why the use of Paypal does not attract any interest. Take the hints from other users, and do not deposit or keep any substantial amounts in Paypal. If you must link a checking account to Paypal, use only a dummy one that has no money in it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:09 am

BB is useful but it sounds like the SFOR area is hard because Walmart is too distant. You may need to do a road trip or two to area out of the city to complete your purchases. You can always buy gift cards online but avoid AGC. They post as cash advances on Citi. Shift as much of your daily expenses to the card as you can: rent, tuition, food, car ins. Of course, font overspend. And yes--10k in three months is a lot of time. A Serve account would be useful too.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:06 am

Also check out the Visa Buxx thread. Then read the thread about paying Citi Bills with debit cards. TD Buxx is 3K/month of spend. Don't know if TD can be done in California, but US Buxx is 2K/month so there's 6K. You may have to do a few trips to WM though.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:08 am

The app will charge about 1.7%, plus, I may have to also claim the purchase on my income tax so I don't get in trouble with the IRS.
What app is that? 1.7% is cheap enough for sign up offers.

Most people hit these in under 30 days you have 90... Don't feel pressured, that is a ton of time.

You don't need Walmart to run a BB or a Serve account, there are other ways to load them.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
There must be a reason why the use of Paypal does not attract any interest. Take the hints from other users, and do not deposit or keep any substantial amounts in Paypal. If you must link a checking account to Paypal, use only a dummy one that has no money in it.
Careful with this. I did that and I had an automatic payment method setup with eBay which defaulted to my $0 balance citi checking account. I got a letter in the mail recently that it was overdrawn by $3.36 and that I had to pay the overdrawn amount within a week at a branch otherwise the account would be closed and go into collections.

This is not normal behavior for me, and I completely forgot I had setup the automatic payment method with eBay for shipping labels over three years ago. It happens to the best of us.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:38 am

Don't be so specific. You just need to MS 10k. Which CC bonus you're trying to reach is (almost) irrelevant. Do be careful with things that Citi charges as CA.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by JerMah
Careful with this. I did that and I had an automatic payment method setup with eBay which defaulted to my $0 balance citi checking account. I got a letter in the mail recently that it was overdrawn by $3.36 and that I had to pay the overdrawn amount within a week at a branch otherwise the account would be closed and go into collections.

This is not normal behavior for me, and I completely forgot I had setup the automatic payment method with eBay for shipping labels over three years ago. It happens to the best of us.
Indeed Ebay/Paypal shipping labels often default to EFT, regardless of your settings. That gang drives me nuts -- can't relax for a minute with those crooks, every charge needs to be verified.
However if they grab your bank account without an authorization or excuse (which was known to happen), your bank will claw back the overdraft (i.e. it's own share).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:40 pm

i can see why noobs get flamed on for threads like these .............

best option u can do solo are:
serve
visa buxx
evolve
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by jsmithj88
i can see why noobs get flamed on for threads like these .............

best option u can do solo are:
serve
visa buxx
evolve
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Buxx applications closed? I couldn't find a signup place on their site. Using Evolve requires a debt card, and in the bay area ReloadIts are cash only.

Update: Looks like with some help with Google the USB buxx application can be found..signup was a success.

Last edited by yngdiego; Jul 15, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.