Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I got fired from work, went home and since I had nothing to do during the day, took 20K+ in OVs and liquidated at WMT(s)...hours before this change happ. Phew!
Sounds like a tough day. Hope you find a job soon, or go self-employed. That's a lot better, I can say from experience.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:26 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
pretty sure hes joking as that 'change' took place atleast 2 days ago @ WM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
pretty sure hes joking as that 'change' took place atleast 2 days ago @ WM.
He could be talking about 2 days ago, and I'd recommend self-employment at any rate. Especially for MSers.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:33 pm

Ok. I spent some time with the kid and in the meantime, all hell broke loose around here. I slogged through the last five pages though. There is some very interesting reading in there, some really paranoid speculation, and a lot of common sense. Use PM. If someone helped you once, share via PM. Try things out for yourself. Start small. And for god's sake: we will never know the reasons for strategic business decisions made by Walmart or any bank. Still, it appears that BC has been restricted and Walmart has targeted their products for denial, probably to distance the corp. from BC's dealings. The sky is not falling. But things will change.

Now, are we done with all of this or should I invest in popcorn? I know a few people around here have been eating a ton lately!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:38 pm

Guyz. No need to panic if you are holding lot of OV/VGC. These are just visa gift cards, never expire. Keep receipt and package intact. Worst case, you can paypal for 3% haircut.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:59 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:28 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:03 pm

Just curious, do you have source by chance?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:32 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
its not as much a loss of convenience using these cards, but more so that the cost of doing business just went up, marginally.

lots of avenues still available for those resoruceful, with or w/o OVs and other bcorp products.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by tech2011
Guyz. No need to panic if you are holding lot of OV/VGC. These are just visa gift cards, never expire. Keep receipt and package intact. Worst case, you can paypal for 3% haircut.
there are ppl who bought on credit but don't have the cash to pay back the credit card without liquidating all the OVs they hold first. I sincerely hope there aren't too many!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by kenshinluo
there are ppl who bought on credit but don't have the cash to pay back the credit card without liquidating all the OVs they hold first. I sincerely hope there aren't too many!
Some people will have a lesson learned the hard way and they will likely bow out now, which is better for the longhaulers. I do not feel sorry for people who make stupid choices in life.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Some people will have a lesson learned the hard way and they will likely bow out now, which is better for the longhaulers. I do not feel sorry for people who make stupid choices in life.
It could have been different if people stuck with Money Pack, VRs, Relodit. In this case it is just Visa card, It is like cash. You can pay rent, buy food etc..
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by MsArbi
The WM POS engineering team
I think that you hit the nail on the head here....
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Oh, the humanity! It now costs seventy cents more, and I have to travel an extra five minutes to liquidate my cards!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by tech2011
It could have been different if people stuck with Money Pack, VRs, Relodit. In this case it is just Visa card, It is like cash. You can pay rent, buy food etc..
What guarantees the value on the card though? OVs and gift cards are not FDIC insured. What happens if Bancorp goes under?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Yossarian147
What guarantees the value on the card though? OVs and gift cards are not FDIC insured. What happens if Bancorp goes under?
What makes U conclude 'OVs and gift cards are not FDIC insured'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.