MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Subscribe
Normal charges that you make on a credit/debit card are not processed through the ACH Network. Visa/Mastercard/AmEx have their own payment processing (hence "interchange fees").

C'mon guys.

When your utility company automatically debits your bank account each month = ACH.
When you get your paycheck every two weeks = ACH.
When you buy a stick of gum at Wal-Mart with a Visa = Not ACH.

By the thought process that everything using a credit/debit card = ACH that would mean that nothing would work on Bancorp products.

Article

Skip on down to the "ACH Not Made for POS payments" section.

---

This is Wal-Mart's doing, has always been only Wal-Mart's doing. The sky is not falling, GC -> MO will live on.
Quote: Now that is interesting.seems to me as the most likely culprit for the Bancorp vanilla products having problems right now. Just likely CVS probably had nothing to so with MSers, this probably doesn't either.

Wonder why it seems only Walmart is affected so far.
Absolutely, this has nothing to do with MSers.

Just like Global Warming has nothing to do with Increased population size, and emission of greenhouse gasses.

Keep telling yourself that.
Quote: Regardless if it is a FDIC issue or not... the moral of the story is don't put all your eggs in one basket. Especially if that basket is full of cash you can't float for awhile.
Bancorp violated the FDIC regulation, is blocked from those activities and probably fines are imposed, if U have the guts to sue for damages, U will win..... why are U preaching morals here?
Per the transaciton records for two Bancorp VGCs (one used at WM, one not):
"POSPurchase:Checking:NoAccount"

Metabank product at WM:
"PIN Purchase"

Since not all the transaction data is visible to the consumer, I am probably speculating, but "CHECKING:NOACCOUNT" seems like an attempted ACH pull from a bank account. Seems to link up with the anecdote about the Mobil CC from the 80s the author of the greensheet article brings up:

"The ACH was never designed to be an interactive processing alternative... [but] some large retailers have managed to push through custom applications for POS payments... Mobil Oil rolled out a POS debit application in the mid-1980s that cleared payments through the ACH. It was a feature of the company's proprietary credit card."
We should create the MS lobby and request to Congress to limit the block they put on Bancorp Bank and spare OV and VMC.
Quote: We should create the MS lobby and request to Congress to limit the block they put on Bancorp Bank and spare OV and VMC.

Haha! Two of my neighbors are lobbyists. They'd probably be happy to trade respresenting interests of underpriviledged persons to representing MSers! Dialing the phone as I type...
Quote: Bancorp violated the FDIC regulation, is blocked from those activities and probably fines are imposed, if U have the guts to sue for damages, U will win..... why are U preaching morals here?
Wow.. who pissed in your cheerios? I'm not preaching morals. All I said was don't put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning have options.

Moral of the story #2: Can't we all just get along!
Quote: Wow.. who pissed in your cheerios? I'm not preaching morals. All I said was don't put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning have options.

Moral #3: (As my late father used to say) Son, you'll find that in this world there are more horses-a**es than horses.
Quote: Wow.. who pissed in your cheerios? I'm not preaching morals. All I said was don't put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning have options.

there is no cheerios... there are no eggs and no baskets in issues we are discussing.....we(I) have been accused of 'suspicious' activity, our(my) funds has been blocked/held hostage all along they were in FDIC regulatory violation and banking laws, something I always suspected their business ethics.....
Quote: Normal charges that you make on a credit/debit card are not processed through the ACH Network. Visa/Mastercard/AmEx have their own payment processing (hence "interchange fees").

C'mon guys.

When your utility company automatically debits your bank account each month = ACH.
When you get your paycheck every two weeks = ACH.
When you buy a stick of gum at Wal-Mart with a Visa = Not ACH.

By the thought process that everything using a credit/debit card = ACH that would mean that nothing would work on Bancorp products.

Article

Skip on down to the "ACH Not Made for POS payments" section.

---

This is Wal-Mart's doing, has always been only Wal-Mart's doing. The sky is not falling, GC -> MO will live on.
we have 2 sides. For Bancorp side which think you are doing a transaction that is some kind of debit spend, that doesn't use ACH, For BB or MO on the other hand,the same transactrion may be considered as a money transfer from a debit( bank account) to another account or Money equivalent product( and very likely ACH mediated) So the block is not on Visa/MC side, its on the WM using software thet reflects FDIC moves.
That's why it can be used for regular purchases.
(I wonder what will happen with EVOLVE, may be this is a good time for some homeowners( folks like one who posted previously who has 38k on OV) to make a generous payment to their principal.
in fact when I first had the error code, I called Vanilla CS and they were surprised the card didn't work as a debit, then they asked me if I was trying to do a cash advace, cash back or obtain cash in any way.
First,just want to say the direction this thread has taken is awesome. I actually feel like I learned something about the underlying architecture of how these GCs/prepaids work.

So if the FDIC has stopped Bancorp products from being run as an ACH pull, then why is only Walmart affected?

I used a OV for a MO at another establishment and it went through fine (at least I got the MO, deposited into my bank and waiting for it to clear...not until it does will I really feel OK).
(Sorry I lost my train of thoughts)
and they also told me that my attempt to use the card at WM didn't get register by their system. Usually their system detect all transactions, successful or failed transactions
It does seem like ACH transactions on Bancorp products are being blocked now.

Nvm.
Are you guys still going to be arguing about this next week when my tin of popcorn gets in?