Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sechs
This being the only Simon mall in the area, I'm sure that they get hammered (thus the paperwork requirement). I figure becoming a known regular buyer would work better than just being someone who comes in and randomly buys a lot.
I can tell you for business, every order requires paperwork. no matter how small.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
This being the only Simon mall in the area, I'm sure that they get hammered (thus the paperwork requirement). I figure becoming a known regular buyer would work better than just being someone who comes in and randomly buys a lot.
actually, buying what they perceive to be a lot of these is looked upon with suspicion at my mall, period. the form has to be filled out and DL given and # written on form for any amount, $1000+, and also requires they call their manager for approval. max of $2500/day.

the 3rd trip the agent called the manager with 'one of those guys is back wanting to buy the limit again'- but it was approved. the 4th trip i was told that if i wanted to buy $1000 or more, i would have to come in during the day and talk to the manager. i am a realist, and i understand that traveling over 40 miles RT to busy a mall to buy $10,000/month (or whatever) in mall branded gc's looks a bit suspicious.

sometimes it's easy to get caught up in these things; looking for a better deal. ya know: oooh, $2.95- i'm so there. without thinking of time, gas, hassle, etc. when i was driving back from the 4th trip it dawned on me- this is costing me more than even a $4.95 at cvs that's 2 minutes away and i just wasted over 2 hours of my day, when i also have ppower for free that's closer, univision at a profit, etc etc... what am i, stupid? answer was, of course: yep.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by john doe iii
Because it cost me $118 to fly anywhere in the Cont US round trip with my mileage earning credit card. :-)
Which card is that?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
actually, buying what they perceive to be a lot of these is looked upon with suspicion at my mall, period. the form has to be filled out and DL given and # written on form for any amount, $1000+, and also requires they call their manager for approval. max of $2500/day.

the 3rd trip the agent called the manager with 'one of those guys is back wanting to buy the limit again'- but it was approved. the 4th trip i was told that if i wanted to buy $1000 or more, i would have to come in during the day and talk to the manager. i am a realist, and i understand that traveling over 40 miles RT to busy a mall to buy $10,000/month (or whatever) in mall branded gc's looks a bit suspicious.

sometimes it's easy to get caught up in these things; looking for a better deal. ya know: oooh, $2.95- i'm so there. without thinking of time, gas, hassle, etc. when i was driving back from the 4th trip it dawned on me- this is costing me more than even a $4.95 at cvs that's 2 minutes away and i just wasted over 2 hours of my day, when i also have ppower for free that's closer, univision at a profit, etc etc... what am i, stupid? answer was, of course: yep.
Great point. Talking to a few friends, I realize that the key to sustainable ms... On your part, is fitting ms into your life, and not changing your life around ms.

Ie... I hit up a local cvs on the way to the office, and then go immediately a half mile down the road to a store to either buy more gc or unload, then to office.... As opposed to during the day, it requires an extra u turn and a few more lights.

Simple stuff like that, makes it easier.

I laughed at folks who would put all the ms stores on a map, now I have my own, and actually figure out how much extra time and gas I am wasting to go to Wally instead of a grocery store. Ie, even at $1 per $500 mo, it is cheaper for me to go to a grocery store along the way, than to spend a few more mins, miles and gas to go to Wally to save a $1.30 per $1k money order.

Then you go as, every Sunday we do sushi take out at a restaurant 10 miles away.... So along the way there are 3 cvs, 1 Wally, 2 walgreens, and one grocery store. I will, 90% of the time do ms on the way, typically load and dump $2k, pays for dinner and then some.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:41 am

Thanks frugal gal and maks. All very good points that I never even considered! Did an AOR and have a ton of min spends to meet now. Looks like I'll be heading to the mall.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by maksimfa
For the people who live close by, and do not care about the earnings, and as others said, doing it for the minimum spend at low cost, this is a good strategy.

However, if you have to drive out of your way to the mall, and want to earn rewards, this is a complete waste of time regularly.

Then you are also dealing with other risks of shopping at the malls, extra paperwork, security and the fact that you have to call in out change pins.....much more pain in the butt than regular gc you buy elsewhere.
I've got calling in to set pins down to 2 minutes each. Hint: you don't wait for announcements to finish before you start keying in CC info and going through the menu tree. Saves $2 per card over buying OV, which is like getting paid $50/hour, counting flubs.

The nice kiosk lady gave me a copy of the form. I filled it out neatly and made a bunch of photocopies. Now I just fill out what I'm buying, sign and hand it in. They appreciate being able move on to the next person in line that much faster.

The only thing I can see as a serious MS risk at malls, is buying stuff you don't need on impulse. Malls hereabouts are low crime areas and usually have a lot of people milling around. If I'm not in a mall, I'm driving someplace. Even at WM with scads poor people in the MC line, security is just not an issue if you dress down and don't stare at strangers.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ceverett
I've got calling in to set pins down to 2 minutes each. Hint: you don't wait for announcements to finish before you start keying in CC info and going through the menu tree. Saves $2 per card over buying OV, which is like getting paid $50/hour, counting flubs.

The nice kiosk lady gave me a copy of the form. I filled it out neatly and made a bunch of photocopies. Now I just fill out what I'm buying, sign and hand it in. They appreciate being able move on to the next person in line that much faster.

The only thing I can see as a serious MS risk at malls, is buying stuff you don't need on impulse. Malls hereabouts are low crime areas and usually have a lot of people milling around. If I'm not in a mall, I'm driving someplace. Even at WM with scads poor people in the MC line, security is just not an issue if you dress down and don't stare at strangers.
Buying stuff... more than 50% of the time I walk out of CVS with drinks or something else. Humn, is that MS expense? =)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:13 pm

It can be done in less than 30 seconds.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:34 pm

I've got calling in to set pins down to 2 minutes each. Hint: you don't wait for announcements to finish before you start keying in CC info and going through the menu tree.
About a minute and that includes validating the balance.
#, CC num, CVV#,1 for balance, 1 to go back, 7 for pin, 2 to change pin, key in 4 digits, 1 to confirm, hang up.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by maksimfa
I can tell you for business, every order requires paperwork. no matter how small.
I'm not going to avoid the paper work either way.

I just want to stay on management's good side.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG/Marriott & Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by skyflier
About a minute and that includes validating the balance.
#, CC num, CVV#,1 for balance, 1 to go back, 7 for pin, 2 to change pin, key in 4 digits, 1 to confirm, hang up.
This is great, thanks Skyflier! Slightly off for me though, it was either 1 (for English) or 2 (for Espanol), and # was unnecessary. # just started the language selection message over. Not sure if there are different numbers for different regions. I had 866-300-9401.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Edited

Last edited by lovenola; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by hwest
This is great, thanks Skyflier! Slightly off for me though, it was either 1 (for English) or 2 (for Espanol), and # was unnecessary. # just started the language selection message over. Not sure if there are different numbers for different regions. I had 866-300-9401.
The # at the start is probably a typo and should be 1. Havent picked up Simon cards in a few weeks. The nearest mall is 40 mins away for me. The ph number is the same.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:08 pm

Has anyone tried other mall companies to see if their policies are easier to get around?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
Has anyone tried other mall companies to see if their policies are easier to get around?
I don't see how it is hard right now?

It is just a form, get a blank copy, come with it pre-filled. Well worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.