Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitey4545
Is there any way to get this thread turned off before it gets circled and arrowed to death? I have enjoyed using a portal to get cash back and 5X's UR points, but with the addition of the $200 cards this is surely to be dead in days if not hours.
Why be selfish? Blog readers have just as much right to take advantage of this as you do.

Just use this at whatever level you're comfortable with, then go to something else when it disappears. Something will come up.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:08 pm

Is there any way to get this thread turned off before it gets circled and arrowed to death? I have enjoyed using a portal to get cash back and 5X's UR points, but with the addition of the $200 cards this is surely to be dead in days if not hours.
Again...deep breath...relax.

Staples does not put a product on their website with the hope that customers will neither find it nor purchase it.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
Again...deep breath...relax.

Staples does not put a product on their website with the hope that customers will neither find it nor purchase it.
I'm not concerned with Staples, it is the portals that will all of the sudden be paying out major $'s to Staples click throughs. My fear is that the 100's that I am currently owed by Upromise and others might disappear (not a huge amount to some, but with thin margins it would result in a waist of my time which I don't enjoy).

I guess I did kinda jump the gun, but this is because I figure that the market will eventually correct itself and the returns will soon move back to the level that they are currently at. I should just enjoy it while they are where they are.

My apologies for getting anxious and throwing circles and arrows under the bus.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
My chase bold is Mastercard. I noticed that some of you are using Visa Savings edge. So does that mean that there is another flavor of Chase bold (visa)?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:38 pm

I'm not concerned with Staples, it is the portals that will all of the sudden be paying out major $'s to Staples click throughs. My fear is that the 100's that I am currently owed by Upromise and others might disappear (not a huge amount to some, but with thin margins it would result in a waist of my time which I don't enjoy).

I guess I did kinda jump the gun, but this is because I figure that the market will eventually correct itself and the returns will soon move back to the level that they are currently at. I should just enjoy it while they are where they are.

My apologies for getting anxious and throwing circles and arrows under the bus.
Since the money is ultimately paid by Staples to the portals, I'm sure they won't be too concerned. My preferred portal, TopCashBack, has only has a few restrictions for Staples and if they are similar to the big office retailer I worked for at one time, there are many low margin products available for sale online besides gift cards.

I'm going to trust that Staples knows their numbers better than me and can pull it off...especially if online sales allow them to control/reduce their fraud risk they face with in-store purchases (which I strongly believe online sales allow).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:43 pm
jmw

Of course go ahead and do this deal, but read the 19 page shutdown thread before you do it. Maybe xfer your existing UR and then go all-in on this.

Chase closed my CC account with 300,000+ UR points
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonitsown
My chase bold is Mastercard. I noticed that some of you are using Visa Savings edge. So does that mean that there is another flavor of Chase bold (visa)?
You can call and switch to Visa. I did that a few months ago.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
Since the money is ultimately paid by Staples to the portals, I'm sure they won't be too concerned. My preferred portal, TopCashBack, has only has a few restrictions for Staples and if they are similar to the big office retailer I worked for at one time, there are many low margin products available for sale online besides gift cards.

I'm going to trust that Staples knows their numbers better than me and can pull it off...especially if online sales allow them to control/reduce their fraud risk they face with in-store purchases (which I strongly believe online sales allow).
1) Most portals exclude gift cards. Getting points is a loophole that could be closed if more attention is drawn.

2) More sales sounds great for Staples. . . until they factor in all the money they are paying portals, shipping costs, customer service hours and chargebacks. I can't imagine Staples is making much on a $6.95 fee.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jmw
Of course go ahead and do this deal, but read the 19 page shutdown thread before you do it. Maybe xfer your existing UR and then go all-in on this.

Chase closed my CC account with 300,000+ UR points
^
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:44 pm

This is awesome. Having an Ink card has never been better for earning URs. Well, except when VRs and VGCs were available at OD or the short lived HIGC (unless you knew about it before it hit the web everywhere). I wasn't able to get in on the VR/VGC/HIGC at OD so this is great for me. Hopefully this will be more sustainable and Chase doesn't even become more aggressive about shutting people down.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:29 pm

Just heard back from Staples, via a robot call and the order has been delayed - it must be all of you crazy FT folks keeping all the dudes in shipping busy!!!

Or maybe the deal is dead already - this could be a record for all the bloggers
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by raccah
Just heard back from Staples, via a robot call and the order has been delayed - it must be all of you crazy FT folks keeping all the dudes in shipping busy!!!

Or maybe the deal is dead already - this could be a record for all the bloggers
Haven't gotten any robocalls yet. Placed two separate orders, one on each Ink card earlier this afternoon for a few thousand each. The charges are pending on my cards and the confirmation email says estimated delivery is May 12th. Hope mine doesn't get delayed!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Just heard back from Staples, via a robot call and the order has been delayed
I get those calls too before. It is just to verify your credit card info.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...this could be a record for all the bloggers
Or for FT -- I don't know why you guys all think it's bloggers when FT is a public site and has two threads going on this.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 pm

Overreaction much? Like others have said you can't restrict access to a thread to protect your personal interests. Does it suck to have a MS method circled and arrowed to death...YES but it is their right just like it is yours to be able to take advantage of this opportunity. I have not seen a MS get killed within hours...overreaction much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.