Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
The rebates I get sent to my office and my fathers office I get sent in our names.
If other people at your office have rebates sent there, will Staples deny all but one of them (so this only works well if you're the only person at your office)?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
Anyone having issues with getting the rebate to print at the register in store for this week's $20 Staples GC on a purchase of $300 or more of Visa or Mastercard GCs? I purchased my normal 2x $200 Metabank Visas and nothing printed.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by number41
Anyone having issues with getting the rebate to print at the register in store for this week's $20 Staples GC on a purchase of $300 or more of Visa or Mastercard GCs? I purchased my normal 2x $200 Metabank Visas and nothing printed.
All you need is your transaction number under the barcode at the bottom of your receipt. You no longer need to know rebate numbers if submitting online.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

Are we able to get WM MO using the MasterCards as well? DO they auto-drain, or do you have to tell the cashier only "$200 at a time"?

Last edited by ScubaAddict; Apr 20, 2015 at 12:37 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Are the we able to get WM MO using the MasterCards as well? DO they auto-drain, or do you have to tell the cashier only "$200 at a time"?
I have been able to purchase MO and WM with the MC version. You will have to hit a little button to change it from credit to debit on the touchscreen.

FYI, I just received my last Staples rebate in the mail today!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky
All you need is your transaction number under the barcode at the bottom of your receipt. You no longer need to know rebate numbers if submitting online.
I have much better luck getting multiple rebates approved by snail mailing them. I usually submit one online and snail mail the rest.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ostornadoe1
I have been able to purchase MO and WM with the MC version. You will have to hit a little button to change it from credit to debit on the touchscreen.
Thank you! So what is your process? You ask for the MO ($800), then tell them you have to do $200 at a time?

I ask because I had all sorts of stumbles using the VGC. First, they didn't auto drain, so I had to tell the cashier "I need to do 4 swipes" Second, couldn't drain $200 - had to do 199.99 each time Someone in this thread told me not to tell the cashier I need to swipe multiple times, but I don't know how else to do it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
I have much better luck getting multiple rebates approved by snail mailing them. I usually submit one online and snail mail the rest.
With the same info?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:52 pm

I got my Visa rebate today, but also a card that said that my Mastercard one could not be honored due to "Master Card Gift Cards Missing Purchase Amount and All required products were not submitted" This is a first and I submitted them all the same way. Anyone else experience this?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by buruch
With the same info?
Same name but different mailing addresses. The last few times I submitted them all online, with different names and different address and they still figured out they were coming from one person and denied all but one of them. They must be tracking IP addresses or something.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by slickjolly
I got my Visa rebate today, but also a card that said that my Mastercard one could not be honored due to "Master Card Gift Cards Missing Purchase Amount and All required products were not submitted" This is a first and I submitted them all the same way. Anyone else experience this?
I got the same thing. Called the number on the card and was told it was their system mistake. She told me to ignore the card. The online status check showed the rebate is valid.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
I got the same thing. Called the number on the card and was told it was their system mistake. She told me to ignore the card. The online status check showed the rebate is valid.
Gotta love the system mistakes! I guess I was kinda tipped off it might not be right when the tracking number on the card didn't match my rebate tracking number...

Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:52 pm

Can these rebates be used to buy more VGC?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by slickjolly
I called them about the MC rebate over the weekend. I guess there was some sort of glitch with the Staples rebate system on verifying the Easy Rebate ID either on certain days to identify if you met the $300 requirement to get the rebate. The issue has since been fixed and if you check the status now it should say "Validation is Complete".

The Staples Rebate CSR even told me that they were mailing postcards that explain the situation which is what you received today in the mail. The postcards are old news and your rebate for the MC deal should be close to being sent in the mail soon.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I called them about the MC rebate over the weekend. I guess there was some sort of glitch with the Staples rebate system on verifying the Easy Rebate ID either on certain days to identify if you met the $300 requirement to get the rebate. The issue has since been fixed and if you check the status now it should say "Validation is Complete".

The Staples Rebate CSR even told me that they were mailing postcards that explain the situation which is what you received today in the mail. The postcards are old news and your rebate for the MC deal should be close to being sent in the mail soon.
Thanks. I came to this thread today specifically to find out what the heck was going on with that recent MasterCard rebate, because I started receiving those postcards on Saturday. I knew the braintrust would already be on top of it. Thanks! One less thing to deal with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.