Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Dammit. Why do all good things have to come to an end.
Because everything that has a beginning, has an end.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
Well i guest we should add Staples to the list with Target, Home Depot, etc

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...wQ?ocid=LENDHP
I know from experience that it actually pays to pay attention to these breaches. I had two AMEX by Target debit cards that I loaded during the famous Xmas Target breach, that someone later drained. I could tell from the web that there was a criminal gang in the Tampa area using cards stolen from that breach there. I got my money back, but it was a PITA. Safest thing to do is proactively get a new card, but if these breaches are happening every month, that becomes an impossible task.

At least with Staples, I'd be looking at a credit card problem not a debit card one (easier to deal with), and I know which card I used.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:37 am

Bought some GCs today and the manager literally said, "jez what is it with these cards? Everyone keeps buying them!!" I said, "idk, I use them as employee incentives."
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mandj
Bought some GCs today and the manager literally said, "jez what is it with these cards? Everyone keeps buying them!!" I said, "idk, I use them as employee incentives."
I use them for fraud prevention....

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-sta...breach-2014-10
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:18 am

ugh, now i gotta ramp it up
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I know from experience that it actually pays to pay attention to these breaches. I had two AMEX by Target debit cards that I loaded during the famous Xmas Target breach, that someone later drained.
Did you use your AFT cards for anything else besides loads at the register and ATM withdraws? Any purchases?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly
not sure if this has been asked in this particular thread, but was curious - for the Chase ink bold, the 5x points for $40k annual limit for office supply stores - is that on a calendar year or a rolling 12 month period?

Just curious. Let me know. Thanks!
And it's $50K.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:40 pm

So for the TOS change on 10/25 we'll be seeing:

- No more cash back / direct deposit into account

But we will still see

- Statement credits to the card that we've spent on

One of the posters kindly informed me that there was a change in TOS that changed how points could be redeemed, but I was never able to find my copy of my TOS changes so I couldn't validate on my own.

Does anyone have a link to the the specific TOS changes that are taking place on 10/25? If I end up getting like 4k of VGC, then I'd like to reimbuse the crazy fees

Though, I don't know that it will matter, I'm going to order them anyway to meet spend on my new ink bold
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by yoloswaggins
So for the TOS change on 10/25 we'll be seeing:

- No more cash back / direct deposit into account

But we will still see

- Statement credits to the card that we've spent on

One of the posters kindly informed me that there was a change in TOS that changed how points could be redeemed, but I was never able to find my copy of my TOS changes so I couldn't validate on my own.

Does anyone have a link to the the specific TOS changes that are taking place on 10/25? If I end up getting like 4k of VGC, then I'd like to reimbuse the crazy fees

Though, I don't know that it will matter, I'm going to order them anyway to meet spend on my new ink bold
This is better addressed in the credit card forum, but you will still be able to receive cash back via direct deposit, it's the statement credits that are ending.

Here's a link which can provide you more information: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...hanges-88.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So can you still get at least 7 points for Visa gift cards ordered through the UR Mall link to staples.com using the Ink Plus?

Looks like the fees are 5.95 or 6.95 for larger denominations. But maybe shipping really blows out the cost per points?

Or is it not a good idea since Staples got breached?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
So can you still get at least 7 points for Visa gift cards ordered through the UR Mall link to staples.com using the Ink Plus?

Looks like the fees are 5.95 or 6.95 for larger denominations. But maybe shipping really blows out the cost per points?

Or is it not a good idea since Staples got breached?
Try reading the wiki at the top.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gw14
Did you use your AFT cards for anything else besides loads at the register and ATM withdraws? Any purchases?
Nope. Those are the only times I used the card. On fatwallet, folks were reporting the exact same -- with their AFT cards being drained in the same Tampa neighborhood at the same stores with the same techniques! It was such a good lead that I actually called the Tampa Police to see if they wanted to catch the fraudsters (I mean, what could be better publicity for a police dep't than tracking down the Target fraudsters?). But the police weren't interested.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Have anyone encountered problems like GC not properly activated before? I bought 2*$200 GC at staples (in-store) last Sunday. Receipt mentioned "card will be activated within 24hrs". So far it is still not activated... Called the number on the back of the cards, was told to contact store, ask them to re-activate. Store told me the cards are non-refundable. So far still no solution yet...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
Have anyone encountered problems like GC not properly activated before? I bought 2*$200 GC at staples (in-store) last Sunday. Receipt mentioned "card will be activated within 24hrs". So far it is still not activated... Called the number on the back of the cards, was told to contact store, ask them to re-activate. Store told me the cards are non-refundable. So far still no solution yet...
Yes, I had this happen. Look at your receipt. I was told if the serial number (or whatever they call it - the long string of numbers) is not printed on the receipt, they did not activate.

I returned to the store and they did seem to know what to do (a manager did have to get involved and it took a while). Basically they returned it via some special code and resold a different gift card.

Now, I always check to make sure the serial number is printed on the receipt before I leave the store. Good luck!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 pm

Exclamation

I'm curious, are you guys sure that this rebate works with online purchases? A manager at one store said in-store only (we were looking at a digitized version of the terms and conditions on his monitor and it specifically banned online, but I'm not sure if it was the current deal). My rebate receipt says "at Staples stores ONLY" (emphasis theirs). The rebate receipt also mentions "at Staples stores" but never Staples.com.

Caveat emptor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.