Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I am in the same boat. Purchased 8/11. No VSE posting as of today.
the same here
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Looks like I've got 2 that are late now. My usual pattern is:

Purchase Posting Date = Purchase Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)
VSE Transaction Date = Purchase Posting Date
VSE Posting Date = VSE Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)

I've got one purchase with a posting date of 8/11 and another with 8/12. Both should have posted VSE by today.

The last I had post was for a transaction that posted on 8/7 (VSE posted on 8/10)
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I am in the same boat. Purchased 8/11. No VSE posting as of today.
Both mine have now posted with a post date of 8/14. Interestingly, that is BEFORE I posted
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA

I've got one purchase with a posting date of 8/11 and another with 8/12. Both should have posted VSE by today.

The last I had post was for a transaction that posted on 8/7 (VSE posted on 8/10)
If we substitute in a more realistic number of one to five business days for the transaction-to-posting difference, we come up with something more like two weeks.

Plenty of time to wait before you break out the Tums.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by VizeL
.... it, I just go to 24 hour WMs and liquidate at 2-3 AM on Kates. Minimal traffic, nobody really to question you ... lets be honest the people working there at 2-3am couldn't give two ......

Takes me a very long time to liquidate though.....usually run the gamut of my BB limits
That would be way too early for me (or too late!). I had given up on the OV loads to BB via Kate but did buy some $200 cards at Staples to give it a whirl. I like the game, but the rules change so often, it's really tough to keep up. I hope the Staples cards work.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Anyone still successfully buying these? I Think a recent order got lost in the mail. Just wanted to make sure staples didn't crack down or anything.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:58 am

I got a hold of VSE by phone, and they say that the rebates should post within two weeks from today (charges were 7/7). Interestingly, I have two other charges from 8/12 and both rebates posted on 8/14 (following the normal pattern).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Anyone still successfully buying these? I Think a recent order got lost in the mail. Just wanted to make sure staples didn't crack down or anything.
I got an order in the mail just yesterday, ordered last friday.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:23 am

Ordered some recently too and rec'd. Also VSE posted quickly.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by infovis
the same here
Make sure that if there's an AU for the card, both cards are registered under the VSE account. You'll notice that your Ink card numbers are different.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I just completed my first MS today at Family Dollar by loading a $200 GC to my Serve. I was doing some calculations and wanted to see if I was determining the point price correct. I purchased a $200 GC from Staples using my Ink, of course this was before signing up at VisaEdge. My total price was $206.95 in which I earned 1035 points. I believe my price per point is $.0067. Now that I get an additional 1% back from VisaEdge it should drop to $.0048 per point ($4.88/1024).

It seems if I can find any 950$ GC with 3.95 fee it would be better earning 1x points instead of 5x points with my Ink as the price per point would be $.0041. Although it would take me 4x as long to earn the same amount of points.

Am I thinking and calculating correctly. Just want to verify before buying a whole lot of $200 GC

Thanks for any insight
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by PointSeeker07
It seems if I can find any 950$ GC with 3.95 fee it would be better earning 1x points instead of 5x points with my Ink as the price per point would be $.0041. Although it would take me 4x as long to earn the same amount of points.
There's really no additional insight. It basically is just that - the speed at which you can earn UR points is off the charts with the 5x spending at office supply stores. The trade off is the initial cash outlay. There are many other methods even more profitable than $4 for a $950 GC. For example, liquidating Amex gift cards generally gives you a profit plus points. But you'll definitely need to spend and liquidate a higher amount. Granted, doing $200 swipes to load up Serve/Bluebird is not much fun either....I would much rather do the $500 swipes.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PointSeeker07
So I just completed my first MS today at Family Dollar by loading a $200 GC to my Serve. I was doing some calculations and wanted to see if I was determining the point price correct. I purchased a $200 GC from Staples using my Ink, of course this was before signing up at VisaEdge. My total price was $206.95 in which I earned 1035 points. I believe my price per point is $.0067. Now that I get an additional 1% back from VisaEdge it should drop to $.0048 per point ($4.88/1024).

Am I thinking and calculating correctly. Just want to verify before buying a whole lot of $200 GC

Thanks for any insight
The VSE rebate does not reduce the number of points you receive. So the post-VSE rate is 4.88/1035 = 0.4715 cpp ($0.004715 per point).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:07 am

Is this still working? ->> Go to Walmart and load BB at kiosk
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:25 am

950$ GC with 3.95 fee

I hope to find these one day. I here about them but havent come accross it yet.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the info. I'll have to learn about the AMEX method. Baby steps I guess...Going to pick up 1k of 200$ GC today. Should net me over 5000 points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.