Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Pre-authorized Check Bounced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Bluebird Pre-authorized Check Bounced

Yes I wrote the pre-authorization code on it. This was my rent check for my landlord. The bank rejected it with "Unable to Locate Account." So I got hit with $130 in both Insufficient Funds and late fees from my landlord. After talking to a BB supervisor and his manager and then his manager, I have the rent money back but not the $130 in fees. They just say that the check looks fine on their end.

I have had other problems with BB; now I'm done with them. I hate that they can't be emailed and you have to call them. Does anyone know how I could get them to reimburse me? I wonder if regular AmEx would help.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by BarronConrad
Yes I wrote the pre-authorization code on it. This was my rent check for my landlord. The bank rejected it with "Unable to Locate Account." So I got hit with $130 in both Insufficient Funds and late fees from my landlord. After talking to a BB supervisor and his manager and then his manager, I have the rent money back but not the $130 in fees. They just say that the check looks fine on their end.

I have had other problems with BB; now I'm done with them. I hate that they can't be emailed and you have to call them. Does anyone know how I could get them to reimburse me? I wonder if regular AmEx would help.
Keep trying to get it escalated to a higher up mgr, but Amex CC is completely different and will not be any help...same company, but totally unrelated. Easier to just use BB to pay off cc and write a regular check to landlord.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Just curious how much was the rent check? Is it over $2K? Ive read on BB that if you want to write a BB check that is over $2K, you need to preauthorize it at least a few days before the other can cash it in.

Lets say your rent is $2500 and you write a BB check and preauthorize it like your suppose to but you then give it to your landlord within the hour and then he immediately goes to a bank and then tries to cash the check, the landlord will run into problems since it takes BB some time to reserve the funds....for whatever reason.

From Bluebird website
https://www.bluebird.com/legal#7-bluebird-checks

7. Bluebird Checks
c. Pre-Authorization Required; Pre-Authorization Process

Pre-authorization of Bluebird Checks in amounts of $2,000 or less will generally be provided immediately upon request, assuming sufficient Available Funds in your Bluebird Account. Pre-authorization of Bluebird Checks in amounts greater than $2,000 will generally take two to three business days to process, and may require confirmation of your pre-authorization request over the telephone and your provision of additional information.If we request additional information and you do not provide it within the timeframe requested, the pre-authorization may not be provided. If you need to make a payment greater than $2,000 in a short time-frame, consider using our Pay Bills feature or other means of payment.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:40 am
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus

I've had no problems paying my landlord(including this month). What amount are you paying? >$2000? the previous poster might be on to something.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:32 am
Original Poster

The rent was $850.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:52 am

That's really crappy. Do you know who your landlord banks with?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:10 am

I personally wouldn't send checks with BB to avoid this - I know some people do and have no issues but I'd rather have 0% chance of a problem.

I'd rather do 100% billpay to CC and pay my rent/mortgage the old fashioned way.

Last edited by hamhead; Apr 8, 2014 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:21 am

I just don't get the point of paying your rent at all. Just pay the card you used to load bluebird. I just don't see what this technique accomplishes?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:31 am

Have you paid your rent with BB before, or was this the first time you were using it with the landlord?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I just don't get the point of paying your rent at all. Just pay the card you used to load bluebird. I just don't see what this technique accomplishes?
Some people are worried about MS and feel they are safer paying legitimate bills - I think this started with bloggers IMO who probably risk some scrutiny if they endorse true MS (VR -> BB -> CC company ad infinitum). They rely on credit card applications as income and I think CC companies would frown on a blogger who heavily endorsed MS and maybe cut ties. Not to mention people who screw it up and rage in the Comments section.

Just IMO.

Last edited by hamhead; Apr 8, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:11 am

I wonder if your landlord tried to do an ACH pull based on the check? Some places will try to convert your check to an ACH pull and that won't work with BB. That might explain the account not found message. I have seen this as a possible explanation for other "rejected" BB checks reported on other forums (which interestingly enough were also rent checks).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo916
Have you paid your rent with BB before, or was this the first time you were using it with the landlord?
Originally Posted by hamhead
Some people are worried about MS and feel they are safer paying legitimate bills - I think this started with bloggers IMO who probably risk some scrutiny if they endorse true MS (VR -> BB -> CC company ad infinitum). They rely on credit card applications as income and I think CC companies would frown on a blogger who heavily endorsed MS and maybe cut ties. Not to mention people who screw it up and rage in the Comments section.

Just IMO.
Yes that is my reason for doing it. IF BB starting doing shutdowns, I didn't want to be that person that was just paying credit card bills. So I paid mortgage, HOA, and utility bills. Never used a physical BB check though.

To OP, someone else had a problem very similiar to this a couple of weeks ago. They had some machine that read the checks in. I questioned if the machine actually used the routing numbers and acct number to actually try to do an ACH pull instead of just depositing the check. Most "normal" bank acct checks have no real value until they are cashed so can work either way.

Question if your landlord or his bank tried to use the check in this manner OR if it was an actual cashing of the check.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:29 am

Lets be honest here. These prepaid companies don't care if you pay your mortgage, HOA, utilities, student loans, credit cards, auto loans. They make money when you swipe. Your not going to avoid a shutdown if BB drops the hammer. People have been doing this for over a year with no shutdowns. The problem is when you try to pay people that aren't in their system. Sure they might reimburse you for the fees and what not but what a headache. Your crazy if you think you are staying under the radar because your paying other bills besides credit cards. They clearly don't care at this point and must be making money.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:39 am

I've been paying my rent for six months with BB checks, never had any issues. Now I'm worried though...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:09 am

I've had a similar thing happen when paying my child's daycare tuition with a BB check. Same error about unable to locate account. I believe it was linked to the payment processing system that the provider was using. They do not actually take the checks and deposit them in the bank. Instead, they use an electronic check system where they enter in your routing and bank number, so I think it essentially is simulating an ACH pull which BB does not allow. Fortunately, I was not hit with any fees. Was this your first time paying rent with BB checks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.