Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Pre-authorized Check Bounced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Lets be honest here. These prepaid companies don't care if you pay your mortgage, HOA, utilities, student loans, credit cards, auto loans. They make money when you swipe. Your not going to avoid a shutdown if BB drops the hammer. People have been doing this for over a year with no shutdowns. The problem is when you try to pay people that aren't in their system. Sure they might reimburse you for the fees and what not but what a headache. Your crazy if you think you are staying under the radar because your paying other bills besides credit cards. They clearly don't care at this point and must be making money.
No there have been no shutdowns yet but no one knows the future. At any time, they could shut this down. Just like one day they up and decided to shutdown VRs at CVS. If you have multiple bills to pay why not spread it out. Now, I only pay CC bills (different ones). Better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:49 am

Yes, I think this is the answer.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I wonder if your landlord tried to do an ACH pull based on the check? Some places will try to convert your check to an ACH pull and that won't work with BB. That might explain the account not found message. I have seen this as a possible explanation for other "rejected" BB checks reported on other forums (which interestingly enough were also rent checks).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:07 pm

Happened to me today. I've been paying rent for the last 12 months using bluebird. Rep doesn't know what the problem is.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:13 pm

I don't understand why anyone with a traditional checking account would use Bluebird checks. BP is so much easier.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crapz1
I've had a similar thing happen when paying my child's daycare tuition with a BB check. Same error about unable to locate account. I believe it was linked to the payment processing system that the provider was using. They do not actually take the checks and deposit them in the bank. Instead, they use an electronic check system where they enter in your routing and bank number, so I think it essentially is simulating an ACH pull which BB does not allow. Fortunately, I was not hit with any fees. Was this your first time paying rent with BB checks?
Seems like this is what occurred - an electronic deposit attempt instead of a physical one. The first BB manager I spoke to was sure that this is what happened. His manager had never heard of that though; yikes. That's why I didn't mention it in the OP. Incidentally, the first manager agreed that I wasn't at fault and that there should be warnings ON THE CHECK AND CLEARLY ON THEIR WEBSITE against this ACH pull, yet he couldn't reimburse my fees.

I'll confirm with the landlord that this is what happened and report back. Yes crapz1 this was my first time to use a BB check, due to Bill Pay issues.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vniceguy
Happened to me today. I've been paying rent for the last 12 months using bluebird. Rep doesn't know what the problem is.
Sorry, man.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
Originally Posted by silver4300
I don't understand why anyone with a traditional checking account would use Bluebird checks. BP is so much easier.
Probably because that's what the bloggers preach. They want to believe they're using CCs to pay their rent/mortgage while earning points. Yeah right.

Why are people MSing? To pay rent/mortgage bills? Or to earn points/miles/CBs? If it's latter, just pay off the CC bills with Bluebird-BP.

And keep things simple:

1. Your paychecks -> traditional checking acct -> regular bills
2. MS CCs -> BB/MO/etc -> Pay off MS CCs

All this "creative" BP circus is nauseating.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarronConrad
Seems like this is what occurred - an electronic deposit attempt instead of a physical one. The first BB manager I spoke to was sure that this is what happened. His manager had never heard of that though; yikes. That's why I didn't mention it in the OP. Incidentally, the first manager agreed that I wasn't at fault and that there should be warnings ON THE CHECK AND CLEARLY ON THEIR WEBSITE against this ACH pull, yet he couldn't reimburse my fees.

I'll confirm with the landlord that this is what happened and report back. Yes crapz1 this was my first time to use a BB check, due to Bill Pay issues.
My landlord does in fact deposit the checks electronically, not physically. I'm confident this is what the issue was. Quite disappointed with BB.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
My landlord does in fact deposit the checks electronically, not physically. I'm confident this is what the issue was. Quite disappointed with BB.
hmm, I was planning to pay state tax via BB fed with ST, but now I am not so sure.. I know the state takes debit cards but really converts it to ACH (e-check) so it doesnt count as purchase. They may also convert real checks to e-checks....
Ill just transfer money back and pay with normal check now.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by crapz1
I've had a similar thing happen when paying my child's daycare tuition with a BB check. Same error about unable to locate account. I believe it was linked to the payment processing system that the provider was using. They do not actually take the checks and deposit them in the bank. Instead, they use an electronic check system where they enter in your routing and bank number, so I think it essentially is simulating an ACH pull which BB does not allow. Fortunately, I was not hit with any fees. Was this your first time paying rent with BB checks?
Strange, I have paid my tuition with a BB check with no problem and my school uses the same electronic check conversion. But I would call in first to verify the pre-authorization code as the "recipient" just in case. Maybe that is the trick?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Shouldn't you be upset at your landlord? You gave the landlord a check. He decided to deposit the check electronically, not physically. That was his choice, not yours. Not fair that he would assess you fees for his choice. Unless your lease agreement explicitly states that he can do this, your landlord is the one shat screwed up.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by silver4300
Not every one of a person's expenses is on billpay. Reasons such as the landlord only accepts checks for payments, to pay a babysitter, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by traveltogo
Not every one of a person's expenses is on billpay. Reasons such as the landlord only accepts checks for payments, to pay a babysitter, etc.
That statement makes no sense and has no credibility.

The CC you used to fund your BB is going to be on there.

Last edited by ibleed0range; Apr 11, 2014 at 7:48 am
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Why would you be disappointed in BB? They didn't make a mistake. It was your landlord that used the check in a way that is clearly outlined in the T&C of BB. This is an unfortunate situation b/c you had no idea that your landlord processed checks this way and I imagine that he had no way of knowing that your check didn't handle electronic fees. That fee should be easily reversed. If it was a late fee by your landlord, then they should be able to waive the issue once they understand how the check works and can directly deposit it or have you write a personal check for your bank. If it is a fee from the bank, having the landlord call the customer service to explain what happened should fix the issue (given the right CSR).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
That statement makes no sense and has no credibility.

The CC you used to fund your BB is going to be on there.
What?
Let me give you an example. Our babysitter only accepts checks for payment. I buy a $500 GC at the grocery store on my Amex for 5% cash back. I load it into Bluebird. I write a check from BB to pay our babysitter. Therefore getting 5% cashback (minus the GC load fee) on childcare services that we can't get otherwise.

I guess a person could go the money order route, but if you prefer to write a check... What am I missing?

Last edited by traveltogo; Apr 11, 2014 at 8:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.