Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walgreens cash only for GC ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:38 pm

I've checked into many WG's in my area. My state does not have CVS, so I've had to. Huge variation between individual stores. Some are cash only on everything. Others are $500 per customer of combined GC activity per day. Others are okay with 1K or even 1.5K.

I don't know if the cash-only stores are hard-coded at the register, or if it's just the policy enforced by cashiers. But after being told the same thing by two different cashiers, I just crossed that store off my list of places to visit.

When it's $500 limit, I'm pretty certain that isn't hard-coded. My closest store is this way, with signs plastered all over GC rack. All the cashiers will reject larger orders. Other places have told me $500 limit, but don't have signs. At those, I've found it varies by cashier.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:41 pm

Registers are not hard coded.

It was initially an issue at my local Walgreens. I did a quick chat with Walgreens Customer service via chat and they said CC was an acceptable form of payment for GC.

Showed the transcript to my local Walgreens and ever since have allowed me to buy via CC. They did impose a $500 limit per day to prevent fraud.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
My experience at Wags hasnt been good. While the employees have been really nice, even the manager has been really cool (willing to try for the umpteenth time just to make a customer pleased), but the ones locally seem to be cash or debit only for the reload/value portion of the gift/debit card. The registers happily run the activation fees on a CC lol but the rest of the total remains as a balance unfortunately.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mithrin
I've checked into many WG's in my area. My state does not have CVS, so I've had to. Huge variation between individual stores. Some are cash only on everything. Others are $500 per customer of combined GC activity per day. Others are okay with 1K or even 1.5K.

I don't know if the cash-only stores are hard-coded at the register, or if it's just the policy enforced by cashiers. But after being told the same thing by two different cashiers, I just crossed that store off my list of places to visit.

When it's $500 limit, I'm pretty certain that isn't hard-coded. My closest store is this way, with signs plastered all over GC rack. All the cashiers will reject larger orders. Other places have told me $500 limit, but don't have signs. At those, I've found it varies by cashier.
I concur with this. Unfortunately I pushed it with my most generous store (sometimes buying 3-4 in a transaction) which got the attention of someone in a corporate/risk desk job watching these transactions, so they called the store and put a stop to it, and now the store strictly enforces the supposed $500 per day policy - but corporate obviously had no issue with still using my CC. I suspect the stores that say cash-only are doing that as their own local/regional policy or are misguided that it is corporate policy when it isn't.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Even when stores are hardcoded, remember that only three things are certain in life - death, taxes and that internal controls degrade over time. There will be sporatic instances of success, even at CVS after Vanillageddon. And things get downright interesting fast when Marie Laveau is asked to intervene and dead deals come back to life.

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
.. I suspect the stores that say cash-only are doing that as their own local/regional policy or are misguided that it is corporate policy when it isn't...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:38 pm

when Marie Laveau is asked to intervene and dead deals come back to life.

Now there's a reference I didn't expect to run into on FT.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:42 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
It is not hard-coded but most managers won't allow it and employees get disciplined if they 'forget'
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:12 pm

As others have noted, Walgreens is very YMMV. Back when they had the $5 wgc deal, I purchased 1k vgcs sometimes 2k vgcs without any problems. Now, they are saying limit is $500/day IF they allow you to purchase with CC. In upstate NY, 5 stores sold me vgcs without a problem 1-2k each. One store had a huge sign saying cash only for ALL gcs. I can understand why though. That area has been hit with a lot fraudulent charges talking with the manager from Rite Aid across the street. At least RA will let you purchase with cc.

After CVS going cash only on the reloadables/prepaids, it seems like all GCs are headed in that direction. I hate to even think it, but better load up while we can.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goblue77
As others have noted, Walgreens is very YMMV. Back when they had the $5 wgc deal, I purchased 1k vgcs sometimes 2k vgcs without any problems. Now, they are saying limit is $500/day IF they allow you to purchase with CC. In upstate NY, 5 stores sold me vgcs without a problem 1-2k each. One store had a huge sign saying cash only for ALL gcs. I can understand why though. That area has been hit with a lot fraudulent charges talking with the manager from Rite Aid across the street. At least RA will let you purchase with cc.

After CVS going cash only on the reloadables/prepaids, it seems like all GCs are headed in that direction. I hate to even think it, but better load up while we can.
Opposite here. Half rite aids are cash only on gift cards and money orders.
Walgreens, I did not try before, until yesterday, no problem turning $1500 agc to vgc.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:17 pm

+1
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Thats probably an answer in of itself
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I think Marie Laveau is hard coded in the WG in my area.

I am thinking of apply for a Marie Laveau CC. I understand it is good for VR purchase anywhere. It may require a bit of drum playing to work in CVS right now however.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
It is not hard-coded but most managers won't allow it and employees get disciplined if they 'forget'
Good to know. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 pm

The WG registers in my area seem to be hard-coded. I've tried to buy a variety of cards and I'm given the option of $500 cash only and $3.95 cash or credit. All the cashiers insist that the registers will not allow cc. A while back, I got a cashier to try and it didn't go through.

Do you need a manager over-ride?

Originally Posted by msnut1
Registers are not hard coded.

It was initially an issue at my local Walgreens. I did a quick chat with Walgreens Customer service via chat and they said CC was an acceptable form of payment for GC.

Showed the transcript to my local Walgreens and ever since have allowed me to buy via CC. They did impose a $500 limit per day to prevent fraud.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by msnut1
I did a quick chat with Walgreens Customer service via chat and they said CC was an acceptable form of payment for GC.
Here is the transcript of my chat:
Hi! My name is Melissa G. How may I help you?
Customer: Hi Melissa! I would like to buy a $500 Visa Gift Card as a gift for my sister's birthday. The cashier said they are cash only, yet I read online that they can be purchased with a credit card. Am I allowed to pay with a credit card?
Melissa G: I will be glad to assist you.
Melissa G: I do apologize for the inconvenience but that will be up to the stores discretion.
Customer: Okay, so there is no national Walgreen's policy? Maybe if I go to another store in my area they will allow credit card payment?
Melissa G: Well this chat feature handles online orders and mail service prescriptions. You can contact our Corporate Consumer Relations and they will be able to give you more information on that product and how it can be purchased. Would you like that contact information?
Customer: Yes please.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:23 pm

I bought $500 OV at local Walgreens with CC without any issue. So I went in at lunch time today, but the cashier said "cash-only", then called in the manager. The manager told me that it is "cash-only" or "debit", but she is kind enough to allow me to use my CC to purchase one OV and one Mycash this time. So I know it is not hard-coded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.