Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walgreens cash only for GC ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:24 pm

Just this past weekend I had a lady at a local Walgreens anxiously telling me how if she accepted credit card payments on a gift card she would get fired immediately. "It's a California law!" So I went next door and bought $1,000 worth from CVS with the same credit card.

Many Walgreens in the SF Bay area enforce the $500/day policy but I can get away with more from time to time. Just found it funny that someone thought she could get fired for accepting cc...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by letopeto
Is there a 5% cashback card for Walgreens? What cards are people using or do you just do this for minimum spend requirements?
I use my OBC to get 5% CB.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kingofmath
Just this past weekend I had a lady at a local Walgreens anxiously telling me how if she accepted credit card payments on a gift card she would get fired immediately. "It's a California law!" So I went next door and bought $1,000 worth from CVS with the same credit card.

Many Walgreens in the SF Bay area enforce the $500/day policy but I can get away with more from time to time. Just found it funny that someone thought she could get fired for accepting cc...
Lol at against the law. I don't care if they say it's their store's policy not to accept CC for gift cards but it's annoying when they say something that's completely incorrect. It's usually the older cashiers I've noticed. The best is some college guy with his shirt untucked who is just there for beer money. These guys never card or even ask to see ID
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by Chris92128
Lol at against the law. I don't care if they say it's their store's policy not to accept CC for gift cards but it's annoying when they say something that's completely incorrect. It's usually the older cashiers I've noticed. The best is some college guy with his shirt untucked who is just there for beer money. These guys never card or even ask to see ID
I've had multiple Walgreens cashiers tell me that they can't sell me more than one $500 GC due to federal law. No point arguing with them. Even if you point out that you can buy ten $500 GCs per day at the CVS down the street, it won't do any good.

Personally I gave up going to Walgreens when they started enforcing the $500 limit. Just not worth the time to stop there if I can only buy one. In the absence of some special promo like the targeted Discover deal.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Lemma
I've had multiple Walgreens cashiers tell me that they can't sell me more than one $500 GC due to federal law. No point arguing with them. Even if you point out that you can buy ten $500 GCs per day at the CVS down the street, it won't do any good.

Personally I gave up going to Walgreens when they started enforcing the $500 limit. Just not worth the time to stop there if I can only buy one. In the absence of some special promo like the targeted Discover deal.
Agreed. The Walgreens stores in my area stomped down hard on MS a while back. Won't even sell variable load OVGCs with CC.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Lemma
I offered the manager at Staples $50 if he could tell me the 'federal law' that prevented him from selling $2k worth of VGC with credit but would accept cash or debit for.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by aGeist
I offered the manager at Staples $50 if he could tell me the 'federal law' that prevented him from selling $2k worth of VGC with credit but would accept cash or debit for.
How'd that work out for you? I bet managers just LOVE that kind of customer.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Easy does it...we're in the same area. Let's play nice in the sandbox.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by kingofmath

Well the bigger issue here in the Bay is that even in the same store, it comes down to the cashier. I am ok with 500/day, but when I make a trip, they still dont sell me even 1.
I have never had problems with Walgreens in other states, Colorado, Ohio, and Indiana. Using credit card at those places is just given, no questions asked.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:36 pm

I hate when cashiers ask what the GC is for. I get is it for a birthday? A lot. Just sell me the cards and let me get on my way
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:46 am

What works on CC now inside Walgreens stores.

I am guessing VR do not work.
Does other types of VGC work like MV, OV?
Metabank?
PP Mycash?

I do not want to try everything.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by kay11
What works on CC now inside Walgreens stores.

I am guessing VR do not work.
Does other types of VGC work like MV, OV?
Metabank?
PP Mycash?

I do not want to try everything.
based on others responses, it remains YMMV. At the WAG district I go to ONLY VR, Balance Financial and GDMP are hard coded for cash only. Even with friendly managers, they cannot override it. For variable PPGCs, Vanillas and PPMC, they still accept CCs. I tested a limit (that cashier mentioned one time but nowhere was it posted) if its hard coded and will prevent me from buying more with different cashiers/registers. It did NOT. I have bought 2 from each register with ease using different CCs for each set.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dboston1
How'd that work out for you? I bet managers just LOVE that kind of customer.
He kept squawking 'federal law' like he was some sort of mentally ill parrot. If you're going to use big words you should be able to back them up rather than just spout out nonsense you have no business saying.

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Easy does it...we're in the same area. Let's play nice in the sandbox.
I usually am but this one just irritated me... I hope he gets attacked by a pack of wild feral Siamese cats.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Chris92128
lol, you are exactly right! The young guys and gals cashiers are better to deal with than the overly matured and overly smart men or women cashiers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 pm

lets not ruin it for the rest of us. $2k on gcs is bit too much these days. the manager in that store has the sole authority to put any limits. Even if you call they might even punish you for this. staples customer service is not easy to deal with btw.

they don't like being screwed.

They even banned me for life after I used 2 coupons on one order. one is certain dollars off and one was free junk item for buying $150 or so.order went thru first but later got cancelled. both codes are legit but they didn't like it. When i called and complained they made it worst by blacklisting me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.