Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

loyal3 free stock trades with credit/debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Limits

As of November 20th, 2014, Loyal3 does not allows purchases of $10, $25 and $50 with a credit card.

Maximum purchase generally limited to $10,000 per IPO and $2,500 per month per non-IPO stock.
No Cash Advance:
Bank of America Virgin Atlantic
Bank of America Alaska Air
Barclaycard Arrival
Capital One (All Cards)
Citi Platinum AAdvantage Visa
Chase Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Chase Marriott
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United Business
US Bank Flex Perks

Cash Advance:
*Data Needed

Placing Orders

- Make sure when you place an order, the funding source is selected as your CC and not the Checking account that it defaults too. Loyal3 won't cancel the buy order, and some have suggested the only way is to put a stop on the amount by contacting your bank.

Current Stocks Available for Trade

*A total of sixty-two (62) as of 10/14/2014
  1. NASDAQ: FOX
  2. NASDAQ: AMZN
  3. NASDAQ: AAPL
  4. NASDAQ: ATVI
  5. NASDAQ: BWLD
  6. NASDAQ: DISCA
  7. NASDAQ: DNKN
  8. NASDAQ: EA
  9. NASDAQ: EIGI
  10. NASDAQ: FB
  11. NASDAQ: FTR
  12. NASDAQ: GPRO
  13. NASDAQ: GOOGL
  14. NASDAQ: HAS
  15. NASDAQ: INTC
  16. NASDAQ: KRFT
  17. NASDAQ: MAT
  18. NASDAQ: MSFT
  19. NASDAQ: MDLZ
  20. NASDAQ: MNST
  21. NASDAQ: PLAY
  22. NASDAQ: SBUX
  23. NASDAQ: VIAB
  24. NASDAQ: YHOO
  25. NYSE: GLOB
  26. NYSE: AMC
  27. NYSE: ANF
  28. NYSE: ARO
  29. NYSE: AEO
  30. NYSE: BABA
  31. NYSE: BUD
  32. NYSE: BRK.B
  33. NYSE: BBY
  34. NYSE: BKW
  35. NYSE: KO
  36. NYSE: DIS
  37. NYSE: DPS
  38. NYSE: GPS
  39. NYSE: HSY
  40. NYSE: HUBS
  41. NYSE: KATE
  42. NYSE: K
  43. NYSE: KSS
  44. NYSE: LB
  45. NYSE: M
  46. NYSE: MCD
  47. NYSE: NKE
  48. NYSE: NOK
  49. NYSE: PVH
  50. NYSE: PEP
  51. NYSE: ZQK
  52. NYSE: RL
  53. NYSE: SC
  54. NYSE: TGT
  55. NYSE: TWX
  56. NYSE: TRUP
  57. NYSE: TWTR
  58. NYSE: UL
  59. NYSE: VFC
  60. NYSE: WMT
  61. NYSE: WWE
  62. NYSE: YUM

IPO's for Trade Now

Print Wikipost

loyal3 free stock trades with credit/debit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i really can't think of a nice way to say this: are you people insane?

if you cannot MS under 1%, you need to read a lot more
so.. worst case MS cost you are trying to avoid with loyal3 is $25 per $2500 trade- the 1%. mind you, my MS last year was under .6 ($15 per $2500). nonetheless, we'll stick with the $25.

vs

buying/selling stocks with these terms:
you have no control over timing or price of buy
you have no control over timing or price of sell

this isn't MS.
this isn't investing.
this isn't trading.
this is gambling..... with a blindfold on.

unless there's a loophole where you are able to actually avoid doing the trade, this is the worst idea ever in the history of MS.

uph, as per above, i was wrong. it's not the worst idea. because now someone is introducing adding leverage and buying and selling OPTIONS when, again:

you have no control over timing or price of buy
you have no control over timing or price of sell

wow.
really?
wow.
No one said anything about leverage. Or at least I didn't, and I was the one you quoted in your response. You're right that the lack of control over the execution on buying and selling makes Loyal3 less than ideal. That, plus the fact that their terms specifically disallow this type of CC buying and they are already shutting people down, is why I asked whether anyone knows of any other low-fee brokers that allow CC funding.

As someone else mentioned much further up-thread, just about any professional investor would kill for a 2% edge, and I have to say it's a bit puzzling to me that the idea of using options to reduce one's risk would generate such a strong reaction decrying this as reckless behavior. Racking up a large credit card balance to buy stocks with a 2% edge but no hedge? I'll agree that's reckless, unless as others have pointed out, you planned on buying and holding the stock anyway.

From the numbers I ran over the weekend, though, it looked to me like one could guarantee a return between .7% and 2.6%, after fees, assuming a 2% CC and an options spread, and it would be completely scalable provided the broker doesn't pull the plug (obviously an issue with Loyal3).

Again, if someone knows of any other brokers, let's swap some info.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drdrew450
I almost fell out of my chair when I read the part about "Professional management in the form of Mutual funds." Mutual funds are such a ripoff!
Go buy that index fund or eft that will NEVER beat the index.

while true, most funds under perform, plenty of great funds that consistently provide extra returning with far less volatility year after year.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
bought few apple shares with citi aa executive,lets see how it posts.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbond
From the numbers I ran over the weekend, though, it looked to me like one could guarantee a return between .7% and 2.6%, after fees, assuming a 2% CC and an options spread, and it would be completely scalable provided the broker doesn't pull the plug (obviously an issue with Loyal3).

Again, if someone knows of any other brokers, let's swap some info.
I've come up with similar numbers looking at options spreads.

Like I said way earlier in this thread, I can't do this because I work at a bank. I wish I could.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Go buy that index fund or eft that will NEVER beat the index.

while true, most funds under perform, plenty of great funds that consistently provide extra returning with far less volatility year after year.
Past performance not indicative of future results, etc.

Its very rare that mutual funds consistently outperform an index over long periods such as five or ten years. Funds that do outperform struggle once they become known for that. Outperformance = cash inflows, which means they can no longer nimbly buy and sell like they did in the past. A fund with a couple hundred million can not operate like a fund with tens of billions.

When funds have billions of dollars, reducing/increasing their stake in companies by even 5, 10% is cumbersome and can move the market in the opposite way they want it, even funds that trade large caps exclusively.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
bought few apple shares with citi aa executive,lets see how it posts.
It's a straight up purchase. Done several with mine.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hamhead
Past performance not indicative of future results, etc.

Its very rare that mutual funds consistently outperform an index over long periods such as five or ten years. Funds that do outperform struggle once they become known for that. Outperformance = cash inflows, which means they can no longer nimbly buy and sell like they did in the past. A fund with a couple hundred million can not operate like a fund with tens of billions.

When funds have billions of dollars, reducing/increasing their stake in companies by even 5, 10% is cumbersome and can move the market in the opposite way they want it, even funds that trade large caps exclusively.
I am quite familiar with that concept... thanks. I am an RIA. =)

The bigger issue is also the beta of the portfolio.

Between funds, UIT's, select SMA's and hedge funds, and a few good non traded options, there is no need to be a closet indexer. How well did those index funds work in 07? 98-01?

While I agree that in the large cap space there is little to no alpha being generated by most mutual funds.... when it comes to international, developing and emerging markets, frontier markets, real estate, private equity, and a lot of fixed income markets (muni, corporates, high yield, bank and senior loan, preferred)... index funds just can't hack it. And let's not get started on ETN's. Having a professional absolutely makes sense.

Working in finance you should be familiar with the saying.... fees are only an issue in the absence of value.

Neither myself or my clients have any qualms about paying fees to either make more or lose less than market, peers, index's do.

... but I digress.

I have done the math and this was discussed adnauseum on our private forum, and this method just does not make sense outside of one or two specific reasons.

Too much volatility, and most of all, too SLOW of a turnaround time to make it worth while.

Once the market goes through the much needed correction, I do have 5 or 6 names I would pick up that I would buy anyway, with the added perk of generating MS.... but NOT at the 2.2% max most would throw around here.

My own numbers, on the names I am looking at... Making 5% on the buy/load side (net of fees), and another 5% or so to either hedge or juice the return. Only problem is... the 10 days or so round trip, +/- nearest options expiration, plus ACAT/transfer time to sustain account.

The numbers are good, IF... big IF you are ok with market risk, and are fine locking up your money for that long of a time frame. Personally, I am not. My preferred methods are 2 to 3 days... TOPS, from charged to paid off avail.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maksimfa
I am quite familiar with that concept... thanks. I am an RIA. =)

The bigger issue is also the beta of the portfolio.

Between funds, UIT's, select SMA's and hedge funds, and a few good non traded options, there is no need to be a closet indexer. How well did those index funds work in 07? 98-01?

While I agree that in the large cap space there is little to no alpha being generated by most mutual funds.... when it comes to international, developing and emerging markets, frontier markets, real estate, private equity, and a lot of fixed income markets (muni, corporates, high yield, bank and senior loan, preferred)... index funds just can't hack it. And let's not get started on ETN's. Having a professional absolutely makes sense.

Working in finance you should be familiar with the saying.... fees are only an issue in the absence of value.

Neither myself or my clients have any qualms about paying fees to either make more or lose less than market, peers, index's do.

... but I digress.

I have done the math and this was discussed adnauseum on our private forum, and this method just does not make sense outside of one or two specific reasons.

Too much volatility, and most of all, too SLOW of a turnaround time to make it worth while.

Once the market goes through the much needed correction, I do have 5 or 6 names I would pick up that I would buy anyway, with the added perk of generating MS.... but NOT at the 2.2% max most would throw around here.

My own numbers, on the names I am looking at... Making 5% on the buy/load side (net of fees), and another 5% or so to either hedge or juice the return. Only problem is... the 10 days or so round trip, +/- nearest options expiration, plus ACAT/transfer time to sustain account.

The numbers are good, IF... big IF you are ok with market risk, and are fine locking up your money for that long of a time frame. Personally, I am not. My preferred methods are 2 to 3 days... TOPS, from charged to paid off avail.
if your a pro like maksimfa, this may not seem that great, but for a casual investor who likes to buy indiv stocks, I think this is pretty great, not without risks, but the prices Ive gotten from loyal3 have been fair, I have made money on all 5 of my trades so far, plus the credit card points.

I normally only trade in my retirement accounts but I float thousands of dollars in man spend every month so I think people who do man spend can handle that situation.

I don't like most of the stocks they offer, this is what I have bought/sold so far, I would be more than happy to hold these for years, their future is bright.

brk-b
aapl
sbux
dnkn
tgt
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:29 am

I dont think this is suitable for MS. one can lose more than what he/she gain from the potential CC bonus. Until we get realtime trade confirmation, I don't think its advisable for anyone to send payment to Loyal3.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:41 pm

I understand that the risk is inherently greater than with other forms of MS, however seen as an investment, if you can guarantee a 2% bonus from a credit card for depositing money, logic says that over time this is a no lose situation. If the market goes down, you buy more shares cheaper and keep collecting 2% more than any normal investor. This of course assumes you have enough cash to be able to float whatever you're investing.

My question is about how to do this without getting shut down by loyal3. So far, I've bought and sold 3 stocks for a grand each as a test. I happened to make 1.8% on the investment as well as the CC points, and I recognize this won't be typical. What I'm wondering is how often you can change credit cards without getting shut down and how often you can buy and sell on the same day (which is what I did in the first instance) without getting shut down. I actually want to hang on to a few companies...mostly McDonalds and Brk...possibly Coke.

I'd also like to point out that while you don't have control over when the shares are purchased, you have control (within a couple hours) of when they are sold, which greatly mitigates the risk. You can absolutely accomplish buying and selling on the same day.

Anyone have an account that hasn't been closed that has cycled through 3 or more credit cards?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG
Only way I'll use this, is for meeting minimal spending. I'll only buy when the earning posted, or if it's stable. Other than that, it's a risk factor like what other have said.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:00 pm

I was pretty against Loyal3 at first and I wrote the article haha. But the more I've thought about it/researched and played around with it, I think it might work. Invest in 10-20 of the lowest beta(of the 53 loyal3 offers) stocks and hold on to them for a week so you don't raise any red flags with Loyal3 and then sell.

if you own about 12 to 18 stocks, you have obtained more than 90% of the benefits of diversification
Source: http://news.morningstar.com/classroo...385&page=4&CN=

Everyone's different but at what % loss are you no longer satisfied? Everyone should be ok with a 1% loss since that's what VR's were costing and you'll get at least 1% back in cash or points. 2-3% is where people like me won't be happy but if it's the difference between not being able to get a card and getting one, then it might make sense. I apply for cards for me and my fiancee so the limiting factor in my applications is usually my spend ability and not my credit.

I'm not sure how to run the numbers but I'll try and figure out what the chances are of the market going down 1% in 1 week, 2% in 1 week, 3% in 1 week, etc.. and report back.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
for me the since the time i placed the order apple shares went by 15 dollars.but i am doing this to meet spend requirement so i am ok as long as it just 1% loss .
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:58 pm

I am in with 5k testing out the waters. The hard part is not knowing the "real time" as someone said before. I bought GOOG and TWTR thus far.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: csp chase sw chase united barclay hilton citi aa
Originally Posted by cfbrown
I am in with 5k testing out the waters. The hard part is not knowing the "real time" as someone said before. I bought GOOG and TWTR thus far.
I bought $2500 of brk-b on 11 apr, sold them on the 17th(made 80 bucks), but i'm still waiting for funds to be availible for withdraw. With that said this may be a long process, as they want another 3-4 buisness days to deposit funds, when they become availible for withdrawl. As a side note, Im still holding $7500 of google appl and amzn. I plan to cycle 10k a month on four cards, at 2500k a piece. Got them all loaded now just need to unload them, in a timely manner, and hopefully a resonable return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.