Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Your message violates first rule of the Flight Club. Deal killed in 5...4...3...2...1..

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Check out the xxx on xxx street. You have to fill out an annoying form for 2k or more but they'll sell up to 5k per day. Metabank $500 variables with $5.95 fee.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Your message violates first rule of the Flight Club. Deal killed in 5...4...3...2...1..
I doubt it - seems to be a pretty firmly established corporate policy from what I can tell. They even added signs last fall (when they started taking CC for VGC again) stating you can now use CC for VGC/MGC/AGC. It's not like I'm giving out details for a store that will sell MO with CC (and no I don't know of any haha).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Check out the Giant on Duke street. You have to fill out an annoying form for 2k or more but they'll sell up to 5k per day. Metabank $500 variables with $5.95 fee.
awesome. thx man
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:33 pm

WF swapped variable VGC with $50 and $100.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
WF swapped variable VGC with $50 and $100.
location?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Several dozen
Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's (management) running and um, screaming. -- Dr. Ian Malcolm (The Lost World [of MS])

I doubt it - seems to be a pretty firmly established corporate policy from what I can tell. They even added signs last fall (when they started taking CC for VGC again) stating you can now use CC for VGC/MGC/AGC. It's not like I'm giving out details for a store that will sell MO with CC (and no I don't know of any haha).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

My local grocery store also swapped out variable VGCs with 50 100 and 200... I just started ms and then this happens? It's really a bummer alot of stores are dropping them.

Last edited by pancakeman27; Aug 9, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
My WF still has them, but they limit me to $1K/day.
does your wf still have the $500's? mine pulled all stock about a month ago, and haven't seen any since.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by cpnyc
does your wf still have the $500's? mine pulled all stock about a month ago, and haven't seen any since.
I'll be back there Thursday. I'll let you know.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
I'll be back there Thursday. I'll let you know.
Does yours allow you to do more than one in a single transaction?

A few months ago, my WF wanted 1 per transaction. I thi k it was because the cashiers screwed up 2 of mine before, they scanned it twice so the other one wasnt activated but I was still charged for 2.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Does yours allow you to do more than one in a single transaction?

A few months ago, my WF wanted 1 per transaction. I thi k it was because the cashiers screwed up 2 of mine before, they scanned it twice so the other one wasnt activated but I was still charged for 2.
The two I go to both allow $1K in one transaction. I always go to the service desk to pay if that helps.
lumangoy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:50 am

Anyone having trouble at Walgreens/CVS lately

I have been met with downright hostility today from long time stores with no problem.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by MiaSkye89

I have been met with downright hostility today from long time stores with no problem.
just bought 2 at CVS this morning.

what do they say?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by MiaSkye89

Some newb must have ruined that location for you.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:32 pm

They are saying cash only when I walk in the door, and are being very impolite about it

I have been hitting some of these places for years with no trouble

They don't want to explain why or anything.

I travel for work, I will try another area tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.