Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:47 am

Related question from my previous post - wasn't sure it was worth a separate thread ...

A recent Amex Blue Cash Preferred Terms and Conditions update taking effect July 01 2017 states specifically that Gift Card Purchases and Reloads (and other "money equivalent" transactions) do not qualify for the normal 6% rewards for supermarket spend.

Can Amex really identify whether I'm buying a GC at the local store vs. groceries? Is there any way to avoid scrutiny other than avoid "obvious" purchase totals like $505.95?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by jrbdmb
Can Amex really identify whether I'm buying a GC at the local store vs. groceries? Is there any way to avoid scrutiny other than avoid "obvious" purchase totals like $505.95?
Of course they can. ANY credit card issuer can easily see exactly what you are buying at virtually any store. If they have a reason to look closely (or if you give them a reason to look closely), the details are all there for them to see. Nothing you can do to stop that if they choose to look.

There are risks to this activity. This is one of them.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Of course they can. ANY credit card issuer can easily see exactly what you are buying at virtually any store. If they have a reason to look closely (or if you give them a reason to look closely), the details are all there for them to see. Nothing you can do to stop that if they choose to look.

There are risks to this activity. This is one of them.
Actually, I think this is incorrect. Credit card issuers CANNOT see line-item detail (ie, exactly what is purchased) from a specific merchant... usually. There is a distinction between level-2 data reporting and level-3 data reporting. MOST merchants do NOT report level-3 data, which is the data that includes item-by-item what is purchased. A very small subset (Staples is one I know of) of merchants report level-3 data to issuers.

So in most cases, your credit card issuer has no way to find out what exactly you are purchasing.

https://dharmamerchantservices.com/f...-level-3-data/
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:34 pm

Related question from my previous post - wasn't sure it was worth a separate thread ...

A recent Amex Blue Cash Preferred Terms and Conditions update taking effect July 01 2017 states specifically that Gift Card Purchases and Reloads (and other "money equivalent" transactions) do not qualify for the normal 6% rewards for supermarket spend.

hi...which supermarket can you find to buy 500 vgc?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by xksdjiw
That one down the street to the right....you know, that one. If you get to the fire station then you went too far.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
That one down the street to the right....you know, that one. If you get to the fire station then you went too far.
You got it all wrong. mine is just past the fire station
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by 12HRS
You got it all wrong. mine is just past the fire station
Thats because you are coming from the opposite direction silly!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:54 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:52 pm

Question

Is Whole Food still selling Visa Gift Cards?
I remember reading a blog saying that they do sell VGCs, but I went to WH next to my office and found no VGCs.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by deals68
I remember reading a blog saying that they do sell VGCs, but I went to WH next to my office and found no VGCs.
Yes they sell visa GC.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by xksdjiw
This entire thread is "Stores that sell $500 GCs." Look at the first post in the thread.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by DeaconY
As the first poster on this prestigious thread, congratulations. It is my distinct honor to advise that you win this week's coveted LOL award!

Just so you know, as in a recent either 30 for 30 or the similar short doc from the NFL network, the episode with noted former Cowboy RS advises the Heisman is a large trophy.

Regrettably, your award is not quite that lofty looking. But, congrats anyway!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by deals68
The local WF did not when I checked once.

However, I would bet some of the more boutique ones do, ie, like in the DC area.

JMHO.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 13, 2017 at 8:04 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

This is new. Can't say it's worth a DP status...yet. I will have to wait another month statement cycle to see if this info is the new normal. Drat, if it is.

If that's the case, I will consider cancelling my card, ask for a credit toward the annual fee paid, and reallocate the CL to another Amex card.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:45 pm

WFM has pulled $500 variable VGCs and MCGCs from stores yesterday. A WFM cashier told me that blackhawk notified them to do so because people have "scammed" the company with the current amex offer of 3X MR points. I was surprise by the specific details she mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.