Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat
All my local CVS do the same. I heard it's to make sure you don't go over the 1K daily limit per store.
Yes, same here at CVS. But one of the CVS only takes cash for gift cards.
All the others CVS I have ever been to are fine with debit or credit cards.
They all scan ID and won't allow more than $1000 at a time.

CVS is still my best bet for MS. Walgreen's now dead. My local Safeways don't carry any denomination over $25. There is a sign that their max per individual card is $200, and max daily purchase is 4 cards. But no variable cards on the rack at all.

Office Depot has $200 MGC/VGC which is OK if you have an Ink, but not great. Not worth it to me except for minimum spending, which I just met yesterday.

Walgreen's are all dead now, cash only.

I don't know how long this game will be available to play. Seems like it's best to apply for as many cards as possible and meet the minimum spends before all these gift card MS options go away.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:56 am

Here are some options:
Buy metabank visa gift cards from
- giftcards.com using TCB portal for 1.25% back which almost covers the fees or
- at grocery stores that offer gas rewards or
- at simon malls for lower cost.
- Giftcardmall.com has free shipping under $2000 but they take 2 weeks for delivery.
- Vanilla vgc do not work at WM, only PO. You can buy Vanillas at CVS.
- simonmall.com - I have not tried it.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Horrible "advice"

"I don't know how long this game will be available to play. Seems like it's best to apply for as many cards as possible and meet the minimum spends before all these gift card MS options go away."

This is horrible advice on so many levels. Yes, the game is constantly changing/evolving but it is far from over.

The sky is not falling chicken little.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
we always have fellow flyertalk members to help out and share info.

For me, Ebay is as good as dead now.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY
"I don't know how long this game will be available to play. Seems like it's best to apply for as many cards as possible and meet the minimum spends before all these gift card MS options go away."

This is horrible advice on so many levels. Yes, the game is constantly changing/evolving but it is far from over.

The sky is not falling chicken little.
Why is it horrible advice ?

Easy liquidation options are disappearing at a fairly quick rate. I'm not seeing as many good replacements.

I realize MS is a game of whack-a-mole, but seems like the financial institutions are catching up, even if some options remain. And the availability of stores that sell $500 gift cards sure is shrinking. Just in the last few weeks, all Walgreen's in my area started requiring cash only for buying any kind of gift cards. CVS is the main game left in town. Office Depot is second, but not that useful given the smaller dollar amount of the cards they carry.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
Here are some options:
Thanks.

Buy metabank visa gift cards from
- giftcards.com using TCB portal for 1.25% back which almost covers the fees or
What is TCB portal ?

- at grocery stores that offer gas rewards or
Nearly all the grocery stores in my area have switched to very small denominations only - pretty much $25 max. Signs say max $200, but those are just not available at all.

- at simon malls for lower cost.
- Giftcardmall.com has free shipping under $2000 but they take 2 weeks for delivery.
- simonmall.com - I have not tried it.
Will look into those.

- Vanilla vgc do not work at WM, only PO. You can buy Vanillas at CVS.
Despite all the reports that these don't work, one of my friends was able to liquidate a OneVanilla (Bancorp) at Wal-mart via MO just 2 weeks ago in Southern California, so I think YMMV. I haven't tried personally.

For now, I have MS-friendly CVS and MS-friendly PO, but if either of those options go away, it will be a more difficult game to play. Not that I don't have plenty of non-MS regular spending to meet minimum spends on 1-2 cards each quarter, it would just take a lot longer for rewards to post, and I may not be able to collect as many rewards on an annual basis.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:32 pm

EDP is $6k limit per calendar year or cardholder year? Thank you.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Yes, same here at CVS. But one of the CVS only takes cash for gift cards.
All the others CVS I have ever been to are fine with debit or credit cards.
They all scan ID and won't allow more than $1000 at a time.

CVS is still my best bet for MS. Walgreen's now dead. My local Safeways don't carry any denomination over $25. There is a sign that their max per individual card is $200, and max daily purchase is 4 cards. But no variable cards on the rack at all.

Office Depot has $200 MGC/VGC which is OK if you have an Ink, but not great. Not worth it to me except for minimum spending, which I just met yesterday.

I don't know how long this game will be available to play. Seems like it's best to apply for as many cards as possible and meet the minimum spends before all these gift card MS options go away.
Far from over. Just when it looks like it's drying up, some place like Stop & Shop realizes that GC's are actually a pretty good money maker and more secure with chip cards.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Far from over. Just when it looks like it's drying up, some place like Stop & Shop realizes that GC's are actually a pretty good money maker and more secure with chip cards.
Thanks - had never heard of "Stop and Shop" - looks like it's on the east coast only .
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Thanks - had never heard of "Stop and Shop" - looks like it's on the east coast only .
That's because you are ignoring the first rule of MS: it is ALL YMMV. If anyone says different they are a damned fool or a liar.

In my neck of the woods the pool of stores selling $500s is increasing. Even found a gas station (and no PMs, im not sharing!) willing to do one $500 per day for me after some gentle social engineering. Again, only for me because it is all YMMV. Bubba would kick you out if you asked to buy one but gladly sells to me while we catch up on things.

The pool of liquidation options is also always in flux. Yes, POs are getting more difficult but I always that that was a horrible route to begin with. Good thing I have a chain of grocery stores all ready and willing. And infamously generous walmarts more than happy to run $10k or more per day. Again, probably not much help to you and your specific situation because ALL MS is YMMV. Period.

Finally, Your "advice" to newbies to go out and apply for as many cards as possible to hit min spend bonuses right away is horrendous. Been doing this off and on for over a decade. I've seen numerous folks make the same claims as you for years now. Guess what. We're still chugging along. No mint, no red bird, no ISIS, no BUXX, no serve, yet here we are.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
That's because you are ignoring the first rule of MS: it is ALL YMMV. If anyone says different they are a damned fool or a liar.

In my neck of the woods the pool of stores selling $500s is increasing. Even found a gas station (and no PMs, im not sharing!) willing to do one $500 per day for me after some gentle social engineering. Again, only for me because it is all YMMV. Bubba would kick you out if you asked to buy one but gladly sells to me while we catch up on things.

The pool of liquidation options is also always in flux. Yes, POs are getting more difficult but I always that that was a horrible route to begin with. Good thing I have a chain of grocery stores all ready and willing. And infamously generous walmarts more than happy to run $10k or more per day. Again, probably not much help to you and your specific situation because ALL MS is YMMV. Period.

Finally, Your "advice" to newbies to go out and apply for as many cards as possible to hit min spend bonuses right away is horrendous. Been doing this off and on for over a decade. I've seen numerous folks make the same claims as you for years now. Guess what. We're still chugging along. No mint, no red bird, no ISIS, no BUXX, no serve, yet here we are.
That's excellent advice. In fact, not only is it YMMV, but in many cases it's your customer service rep may vary. And like DeaconY said, often the perk will only be for you and no one else. This could be Mom and Pop or big chain, doesn't matter. I struck gold with a friendly manager in a well-known pharmacy chain who lets me do much more than the company policy. When I'm rejected by a cashier, I have them call this person and my GC purchase is approved. Once you find an MS friendly CSR, treat them like gold.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Several dozen
Perhaps, but Marie Laveau has a way of resurrecting the dead around the Christmas gift giving season. Some times there is a seasonal zombie apocalypse.

Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:43 am

I've experienced YMMV as to rules in different states. I'm glad I live in MS friendly location where there's probably very few who AoR or MS. as to wag, yesterday was the last day of the offer buy 2VansGet$5WgcFree, I made sure all four 0bcs hit the min spend for the 5% to kick in. It pays to have cooperative stores that allowed purchase of 2 (some insisted on 250 x 2cards) since more and more branches refuse to sell over $500. As mentioned above, there are two stores that would sell two 500s to me, I always give positive feedback to the manager and staff whenever I can. Those positive surveys could've meant a lot to management and they traced it to me since I swiped my BR card for each purchase. Hopefully, my lucky streak keeps going on and on.

YMMV will, and always be, part of MS; it's all good when it's in our favor
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:21 pm

What reason are you giving to S&S and Giant for the GC purchase?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by FrankMS
What reason are you giving to S&S and Giant for the GC purchase?
"I get bonus CC points at grocery stores."

Simple, true, and not overly disclosing anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.