Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by billcard
Just out of curiosity, which Bank of America card are you using? The ones I am most familiar with give a better bonus at gas stations and I didn't see any on the website that were better at grocery stores.
Hi, billcard, I think that question is for me.

I have a fairly new BOA Cash Rewards Visa with a $100 CB bonus with a $500 purchase within 90 days. It does return 2% CB for grocery purchases. I am notorious for having not so good cash back bonus cards so this is about the best I can do.

As far as the gas category, I can't buy any financial instrument with a CC at any local gas stations. My son has a Chase Freedom anyway so I try to hit him up for his card for the gas purchases. Since he uses the family car, he knows the drill on that.

BTW, I just had a lengthy call with BOA regarding all my cards and the changes that were made without my permission. I am getting a $25 credit to make up for the unauthorized change to one card and I was able to transfer funds to establish credit limits that more accurately suit what I needed.

I look forward to maxing out at the $1500 spend on the Cash Rewards Visa to add to the $100 bonus I am qualifying for so that I can cover all the VR fees I have already paid for with the travel rewards cards. After that, I won't need the grocery spend again until the next quarter starting in April. That's why I said I only need 3 GCs. Then, I will return to VRs at CVS.

Thanks for the post and the question.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by haloseven
Kroger is good for variable visas @ 5.95. Also their money orders are better bc their pos will automatically drain a debit card and leave a remaining balance. You don't have to ask the cashier to key anything. Swipe pin enter. New balance, swipe pin enter done. Plus they have more teeth than the walmart clan. Generally nicer too
Great info here. So they have no problem using, for example, 2 $500 Visa GCs to fund a single $1K MO? Or 3 VGC for $1500, etc? Sounds like we should keep it under $3K/MO, though, right?

EDIT: Per http://moneyservices.kroger.com/, maximum MO amount is $1k, but even they say it's YMMV.

Last edited by bobert24; Feb 27, 2014 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Deleted.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:09 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Are you guys doing anything special with the MOs or just depositing them? Do you find any particular bank better than others that tolerate these kinds of deposits?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Are you guys doing anything special with the MOs or just depositing them? Do you find any particular bank better than others that tolerate these kinds of deposits?
No good response.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:10 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
I can only speak for myself and I purchase under the radar <$1K MOs. I deposit them among three institutions where I have banked frequently. All major players and I use their ATMs.
You must have a lot of free time, geez. Go someplace to buy prepaid visa card, go to walmart or grocery store to buy MO, go to bank to deposit it. Time and gas just doesn't seem worth it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jacobsta811
I didn't see any $500 Visas at my Kroger in IL, but they have 8 million of the mastercards of this type: http://romsdeals.com/wp-content/uplo...0321295569.jpg
They had some Visas of smaller amounts on the rack. If you've never been to a Kroger family store look around - mine has at least 3 separate gift card racks in addition to some random cards at the checkouts.
Im in IL too and the 3 stores in my town have not had any $500 VGC's here in over a month. I cleaned them out and they have yet to restock. Well there is a 4th store, but I am not allowed to buy anymore GC's at that store (they didn't like it when they had the $5 Catalina and my wife and I bought ~40k in a little over a week from that one store...hahaha.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by bobert24
Great info here. So they have no problem using, for example, 2 $500 Visa GCs to fund a single $1K MO? Or 3 VGC for $1500, etc? Sounds like we should keep it under $3K/MO, though, right?

EDIT: Per http://moneyservices.kroger.com/, maximum MO amount is $1k, but even they say it's YMMV.
Kroger's here have a $500 max on M.O.'s and they are $0.99 each.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes
I can only speak for myself and I purchase under the radar <$1K MOs. I deposit them among three institutions where I have banked frequently. All major players and I use their ATMs.
Careful. This could be deemed "structuring" if you were every investigated. Better to just deposit all in one bank and tell them what you're doing. Be honest. I walked into my local community bank and told the assistant branch manager I was playing a game with credit cards to rack up points and miles and as a result I'd be depositing large dollar volumes of MO. I said if anyone in the bank ever had any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zimma13
Careful. This could be deemed "structuring" if you were every investigated. Better to just deposit all in one bank and tell them what you're doing. Be honest. I walked into my local community bank and told the assistant branch manager I was playing a game with credit cards to rack up points and miles and as a result I'd be depositing large dollar volumes of MO. I said if anyone in the bank ever had any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
I really don't think it's much of a worry.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuckywang
You must have a lot of free time, geez. Go someplace to buy prepaid visa card, go to walmart or grocery store to buy MO, go to bank to deposit it. Time and gas just doesn't seem worth it.
It appears that this type of MS is not for you, then.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
This is my 2nd month doing MS and i cleared $1,400 in Feb. While not groundbreaking, certainly worth my effort.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by mayday23
This is my 2nd month doing MS and i cleared $1,400 in Feb. While not groundbreaking, certainly worth my effort.
Is that $1400 counting 1 cent=1 point? I know that people value their points more than 1 cent per, but if you are going to translate it to a strict dollar amount, it should be baselined at 1 cent/pt just so it's consistent.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:41 am
Suspended

Is that $1400 counting 1 cent=1 point? I know that people value their points more than 1 cent per, but if you are going to translate it to a strict dollar amount, it should be baselined at 1 cent/pt just so it's consistent.
Under that rationale...you are saying that if I earned 140,000 HHonors points last month it should be valued at $1400 for comparison sake....I'd have to disagree with a baseline valuation theory
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Under that rationale...you are saying that if I earned 140,000 HHonors points last month it should be valued at $1400 for comparison sake....I'd have to disagree with a baseline valuation theory
I was mainly referring to UR, TY, and MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.