Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:36 am

Once again just made a payment to my citi aa executive with my nw visa buxx. No issues.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
People paying off citi with buxx....are you literally loading up buxx using a citi card and then turning around a day later and paying it right back to citi using the same card you just loaded? lol. They don't catch on to that at all?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
No such warning for me, what citi card were you paying off?
thank you preferred (formerly G0ld Card)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
thank you preferred (formerly G0ld Card)
I have exec card
Apparently. If you don't at least "have" the card then some CSRs give you a hard time when doing debit payments. ( see above) Personally, I only ran into this issue once but it was late at night
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by air360
People paying off citi with buxx....are you literally loading up buxx using a citi card and then turning around a day later and paying it right back to citi using the same card you just loaded? lol. They don't catch on to that at all?
How would they know?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by air360
your assumption is citi cares..

also, they have already made money when you charged your buxx load to citi card. Who should care is the bank that issues buxx..
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I paid $500 using a usbank MC a few minutes ago. Went thru without a hitch.

Unfortunately these aren't earning gas points anymore
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro

Were these bought from a grocery store? No withdrawal limit error like the rest of us?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro

Per wiki: US Bank Mastercard GC (Staples $200 MC, Giant $500 MC, Kroger $25-500 Variable load MC) - Kroger "exceeded withdrawal frequency limit" error as of 7/16/14

Does this mean the issue has been resolved, and we can use US Bank Mastercard GC again? If so, can you please update the wiki (since you can confirm)?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kip1124
Per wiki: US Bank Mastercard GC (Staples $200 MC, Giant $500 MC, Kroger $25-500 Variable load MC) - Kroger "exceeded withdrawal frequency limit" error as of 7/16/14

Does this mean the issue has been resolved, and we can use US Bank Mastercard GC again? If so, can you please update the wiki (since you can confirm)?
The wiki has been updated to reflect that the US Bank variable mastercards DO infact still for some (me included) and that more data points are required from various chain store locations in order to hopefully determine the root cause of this issue as well as how widespread this issue really is. (?)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:27 pm

My last successful $500 USB MC came from Randalls. The one that keeps failing on me is from Kroger. I haven't tried to use it with Citi since 7/20 though.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by alexsherrick
My last successful $500 USB MC came from Randalls. The one that keeps failing on me is from Kroger. I haven't tried to use it with Citi since 7/20 though.
Maybe this issue has something to do with the cards Kroger gets? I get mine at Tom thumb (safeway) and haven't had any issues???
Remember when this method was first discovered, some people were reporting that MCs bought at Sam's Club don't work. Maybe this is the same type of thing?

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:29 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by alexsherrick
Does Randalls want your info on a $500USD purchase like Kr0ger?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Does Randalls want your info on a $500USD purchase like Kr0ger?
Randalls is Kroger I believe, so I would imagine so.

Sidenote, I personally would not continue to buy gift cards from places that requires more personal ID above just checking and verifying my photos ID name with the name printed on my Credit Card
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:40 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Randalls is Kroger I believe, so I would imagine so.

Sidenote, I personally would not continue to buy gift cards from places that requires more personal ID above just checking and verifying my photos ID name with the name printed on my Credit Card
Randalls is not the same as Kroger...Randalls falls under the safeway/tom thumb etc...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.