Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by Maryallen
I scrolled up a bit, and saw PenFed and First Republic mentioned.
Try reading the wiki. Or reading the websites of the banks that you belong to. Or download the mobile apps and read their individual rules and policies. Or actually read this thread.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat
Linked my WF and Capone 360 and initiate the transfer from the 360 account.
Opened a WF account and initiated a $500 transfer from my BoA account, it costs $3 which is not too too bad...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:18 pm

Wells Fargo android app keeps saying check amount doesn't match. This is with a MoneyGram MO.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Wells Fargo android app keeps saying check amount doesn't match. This is with a MoneyGram MO.
Gotta use an atm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:10 pm

DP: Alliant Credit Union now allows MO deposit via their phone app. They just updated it to have a much slicker design and more functionalities. I talked to CSR and they told me the limit is $15,000 per day.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by vinhtantran
DP: Alliant Credit Union now allows MO deposit via their phone app. They just updated it to have a much slicker design and more functionalities. I talked to CSR and they told me the limit is $15,000 per day.
Are these worth paying the $10 donations to be part of? Do many of you do this to join credit unions?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Are these worth paying the $10 donations to be part of? Do many of you do this to join credit unions?
Yesx2
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
CapOne 360 for ACH?

I am not sure where to post this; this thread seemed most relevant.

I am considering making CapOne 360 my main bank account. I have accounts open there for more than 4 yrs, with minimal regular activity.

The bank I am moving from is shutting me down due to MO deposits , under $3K/mo and concerns about 10 - 14 ACH transfers in from various credit unions. I do my MO deps at CUs, and I have had no issues with them.

I have a corp biz acct, and want to keep at same bank as personal acct, like CapOne, so CUs will not work for ALL my business.

I know Cap One 360 does not allow any MO deps of any kind.

QUESTION to the group: has anyone had any issue with Cap One questioning up to 10 ACH transfers inbound monthly, each ACH in ranging from 2500 - 5000? Of course there will be 5 -10 ACH out as well, to pay off Credit cards.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by crapz1
Data point for Everbank. Opened my account a little over a month ago. Deposited about $4500 in MOs and another $2800 ACH deposit from Loyal3. Paid some CC bills via ACH out and debit with Evolve. I got a call earlier in the week from their financial intelligence unit. They asked where the money orders were coming from and I told them I run a consulting business and ask my clients pay me with money orders. They also asked what VS Evolve was and I told them it was a 3rd party bill pay service that I use. They said okay and that they would note that on my account. Since then I paid an AMEX and CapOne bill via ACH. Got an overnight Fedex in the mail today from the same guy I spoke to on the phone that my account has been shut down effective immediately and the balance is being sent in a cashier's check. Oh well...onto the next.
Similar story here, but a MO deposit of under $3K seems to have triggered their call to me. Gave 30 days notice of shutdown via Fedex.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:53 pm

Tried the TDBank ATM several times trying to get it to accept my Moneygrams, but no dice.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:52 pm

Any luck with SunTrust mobile deposit lately? I tried a WU and a PO money order, and both cannot be deposited. I contacted the bank and they said they do accept MOs online, and it might be a tech issue. They told me to call the tech dept but I wasn't sure if I should yet. I have no branches around me, but what about mailing these in?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Any luck with SunTrust mobile deposit lately? I tried a WU and a PO money order, and both cannot be deposited. I contacted the bank and they said they do accept MOs online, and it might be a tech issue. They told me to call the tech dept but I wasn't sure if I should yet. I have no branches around me, but what about mailing these in?
call tech. mail in works as well. you'll have to get the address for mail in deposits from customer service.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
Tried the TDBank ATM several times trying to get it to accept my Moneygrams, but no dice.
Today was the first time my local TD ATM didn't quite read a WM MG correctly, but I told it to return it and then re-inserted it and it prompted me with the usual screen of not recognized but 'enter amount' as usual.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:58 pm

Damn, just deposited two MOs and realized the clerk typed in the wrong amount at the grocery store. The WU MOs should have been $499.01 after fees but both MOs were $500. Wondering if the money orders will bounce given the grocery store was short on the payment (I used 2 $500 GCs)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
It happens

That happened at Kro periodically. I'd ask for a 999.31 MO and I'd get it for $1000. Never had a problem with it clearing.

Originally Posted by mensday
Damn, just deposited two MOs and realized the clerk typed in the wrong amount at the grocery store. The WU MOs should have been $499.01 after fees but both MOs were $500. Wondering if the money orders will bounce given the grocery store was short on the payment (I used 2 $500 GCs)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.