Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Superorb
10 failures in a row sounds like a red flag for the bank to me. Tread lightly.
Yeah I should have clarified. The other person who responded is right. The "failure" was the app being unable to read the numbers (that specific error).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Looks like Simple no longer accepts USPS money order deposit via smart phone, must be mailed in.
Shutdown recently. Account was open around two years. No activity for 7 months until two MO deposits of $500 each in the last 3 weeks. Tried a few days ago to deposit one and got a generic error that MO number couldn't be read. Tried again about an hour later and got a different error I don't recall exactly what it said. About 9 hours later I got a shutdown notice.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:52 pm

How are people get the TD mobile app to accept USPS MOs? It hasn't worked for me.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:06 pm

I got shutdown by Schwab today. I did zero money orders through them, only people pay transfer from other banks into schwab, and then ACH'ing money out of schwab once every week or so when the balance got up to 8 or 10k. Apparently they didn't like that...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:26 am

Is USAA only for military members or anyone can open the account?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Is USAA only for military members or anyone can open the account?
Either you or your Spouse needs to be or have previously been in the military OR I believe your parent (if they are currently a USAA member). No way around it. I believe the only thing one is eligible for if no military background, is life insurance.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:07 am

Just started depositing MO with USAA mobile, and it has been working great. Just one question: After about 2.5k over the last week, they held $300 from one of my deposits, and it won't be available until Saturday. I currently have about 2.5k more in MO that I have not yet deposited, because I am afraid they are going to put a long term hold on the MOs, and they were bought with an Amex BRG which comes fully due on the 2nd. Has anybody else had these holds placed on their deposits? Online reports of it happening seem a bit inconclusive.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:50 am

Stupid question I've wanted to ask for a while: when they shut you down, what happens to the money you have with them? Is it mailed back as a check or ACH'd to another account?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bretyost
Just started depositing MO with USAA mobile, and it has been working great. Just one question: After about 2.5k over the last week, they held $300 from one of my deposits, and it won't be available until Saturday. I currently have about 2.5k more in MO that I have not yet deposited, because I am afraid they are going to put a long term hold on the MOs, and they were bought with an Amex BRG which comes fully due on the 2nd. Has anybody else had these holds placed on their deposits? Online reports of it happening seem a bit inconclusive.
The amount you can do before they start placing holds on your account depends on how long you've had the account open and your transaction history. I can do maybe 10-15k before the holds start coming down, then it's 5 biz days. I do like 30k with them. It's normal, but a bit of a nuisance.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Bretyost
Sounds like you need to ramp up your deposits gradually. In my experience with other banks, my limits increase as time passes & as I do something more often.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by pointchaser93
The amount you can do before they start placing holds on your account depends on how long you've had the account open and your transaction history. I can do maybe 10-15k before the holds start coming down, then it's 5 biz days. I do like 30k with them. It's normal, but a bit of a nuisance.
Have you had any luck with MG, or are you only using PO with USAA? One of my WMs has a great new printer - nice dark printout - but I'm not sure if that is the issue with MG at USAA.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
Have you had any luck with MG, or are you only using PO with USAA? One of my WMs has a great new printer - nice dark printout - but I'm not sure if that is the issue with MG at USAA.
I have better luck with the MG if I leave the receipt tab attached when I take the photo.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by invalyd
Looks like Simple no longer accepts USPS money order deposit via smart phone, must be mailed in.
Where did you read that?

Their website still says they accept money orders via smart phone app deposit (they even mention grocery store MO's)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
For the Citi app to accept my latest MG MO, I had to stick the receipt stub back where it normally goes. Neither the ATM or app would accept it without the stub.

This may be normal for Citi, I don't normally use my account with them for MOs.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:10 pm

I've been wondering...what's likely to raise more eyebrows: multiple small money order deposits or just a few large deposits? I can usually slide by by depositing 1 $500 MO in two accounts per month. Occasionally I'll deposit two, but not very often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.