Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:50 pm

Regions Bank has ATM deposits. They take both MG and WU MOs. Clears in about 2 days. And they don't seem to care about volume, been doing about 60k/mo for more than a year.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
I have read that visa GC's with pin doesn't work for USPS MO...can you buy MO with nationwide buxx or any other buxx cards? how are you buying/gonna buy MO at usps? TIA
I'm going to buy the USPS money orders with cash.

Cash derived from 3xMVD cards CA's and from Visa BUXX ATM withdrawals.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
I'm going to buy the USPS money orders with cash.

Cash derived from 3xMVD cards CA's and from Visa BUXX ATM withdrawals.
why turn cash into MO's? that is bizarre. cash is the lowest common denominator. the only thing you should be turning it into is the bank
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
why turn cash into MO's? that is bizarre. cash is the lowest common denominator. the only thing you should be turning it into is the bank
I answered this in another thread but some of us likely bank at banks with no local branches. I bank with USAA. The only way for me to deposit cash, most unfortunately, is to buy money orders and deposit those money orders. I should probably change banks but USAA has been really great for the past ten years.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I answered this in another thread but some of us likely bank at banks with no local branches. I bank with USAA. The only way for me to deposit cash, most unfortunately, is to buy money orders and deposit those money orders. I should probably change banks but USAA has been really great for the past ten years.
Why not get a cashier's check from any big bank? A local CU might be even be cheaper and probably wouldn't require you to be a member for a cash transaction. The appeal of a MO is to use debit. For $15k - $20k cash deposits a month a $5 cashier's check is a better option than 15+ money orders.

A cashier's check should deposit just as easy as a money order with Simple or other banks.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:24 pm

Simple no longer seems to have a wait time, I got an invitation the next day.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by lunareze
Why not get a cashier's check from any big bank? A local CU might be even be cheaper and probably wouldn't require you to be a member for a cash transaction. The appeal of a MO is to use debit. For $15k - $20k cash deposits a month a $5 cashier's check is a better option than 15+ money orders.

A cashier's check should deposit just as easy as a money order with Simple or other banks.
Because

a. most big banks require you to be a customer in order to purchase a cashier's check. I have at least twenty banks within a mile of me. All require a customer relationship when purchasing cashier's check.

b. there really aren't any credit unions within my immediate vicinity.

c. money orders are free where I purchase them.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:44 am

Did anyone else get this email from BOA ? Looks like no more MO deposit to BOA via smartphone.

To:
Date: 02/13/2014

Starting on 02/23/2014, we'll no longer accept money orders or travelers checks for deposit through our Mobile Banking application.

What you need to know

Personal and business checks can still be deposited using the mobile app.
Money orders and travelers checks may be deposited at any Bank of America banking center or ATM.

We're here to help
We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your financial needs. If you have any questions, please call us toll-free at 800.933.6262, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:46 am

a data point from BoA

Starting on 02/23/2014, we'll no longer accept money orders or travelers checks for deposit through our Mobile Banking application.

What you need to know
Money orders and travelers checks may be deposited at any Bank of America banking center or ATM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:01 am

I get 10x$1000 MO every month, how do I bill Pay AmEx credit card ? (no more bill pay option at Walmart)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:13 am

Last Dec I tried to deposit $2000 MO (Western Union) to Discover by mobile, but three days later I got a message said it was failed. I called and was told it was not allowed to deposit MO by mobile.
Next time I'll try $1000 to see what will happen
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by kd1000
Did anyone else get this email from BOA ? Looks like no more MO deposit to BOA via smartphone.

To:
Date: 02/13/2014

What you need to know

We're here to help
We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your financial needs. If you have any questions, please call us toll-free at 800.933.6262, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time.
Were you an active mobile back MO depositor? Will be interesting to see if it's system wide or user specific. BoA had a pretty good limit at 10k a calendar month. No doubt someone screwed the pooch... Again.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Were you an active mobile back MO depositor? Will be interesting to see if it's system wide or user specific. BoA had a pretty good limit at 10k a calendar month. No doubt someone screwed the pooch... Again.
I got the message too. Ive had my account for almost 10 years, and have only ever deposited four money orders into my account over the past 10 years (I use other accounts for that), only two were through mobile deposit. So, doesnt seem to be user specific in the regard of heavy or active usage. Actually I came to the thread to come post the same info as I just got it in my email about 5 minutes ago.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
I get 10x$1000 MO every month, how do I bill Pay AmEx credit card ? (no more bill pay option at Walmart)
Open an account with a back that allows MO deposits and use their bill pay. Since Simple encourages MO deposits it seems to be a good option. Several of us are trying it out right now and so far it is pretty good. 9 day holds on MO deposits at first, but that is fairly easy to plan around.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Cant edit the wiki, but just ran into a 10 checks in 7 days limit with Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.