Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:55 am

M&T

Does anyone know if M&T bank accepts MO deposits via app or ATM? I just received a $150 offer.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA
Successfully deposited MG at the ATM of the following banks and all cleared in one business day:
PNC (no envelope, ATM recognized a ridiculous amount and keyed in manually)
Citizens (no envelope, amount recognized correctly)
Santander (with envelope, keyed in manually)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hamnori
Successfully deposited MG at the ATM of the following banks and all cleared in one business day:
PNC (no envelope, ATM recognized a ridiculous amount and keyed in manually)
Citizens (no envelope, amount recognized correctly)
Santander (with envelope, keyed in manually)
Updated wiki with Citizens (hadn't realized it wasn't listed). Have been using Citizens for months without issue to deposit MO's and cash from Target Amex. ATMs work great
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:15 am

I too can add that Citizens works well with MG.

I have a question for thought. My credit union was at my workplace today and they told me that they use PNC as a 3rd party to accept atm deposits for free. Am I safer to deposit MO's at a PNC atm which will deposit them in my credit union account? Will PNC do any tracking on how many MO's I will be depositing to the credit union?

The reason I ask is because I use PNC as my main financial institution and don't want them tying my ms'ing habits with my regular banking together.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:12 am

Please realize that there several different "Citizens" banks around the U.S. Not all are the RBS subsidiary with the green and white logo.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
I have tried to go through the posts, but just wondering if anyone is getting shut down by usaa for money order deposits? I am looking at 30k+ per month via mobile deposit. I will leave a balance of at least 5k. thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
Banks that accept money orders in QTY via mobile app

Did some searching and do not see a post on this, which is surprising. Was looking for advice on banks that offer mobile deposits, and that are not shutting down accounts for money orders.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by vic2010
Did some searching and do not see a post on this, which is surprising. Was looking for advice on banks that offer mobile deposits, and that are not shutting down accounts for money orders.

try ufb airline rewards checking account. read all terms carefully and see if meets your needs. initially, it'll take 7 biz days for your MOs to clear and thereafter, 5. IME, MOs clear quicker at my local bank; depending on the volume of MOs you'll deposit, see if this works for you.

btw, there cannot be guarantees of 100% no shutdown at any bank depending on the volume of MOs deposited by an individual and how quickly they w/d them soon as they clear. the individual determines that, based on their experience and relationship with the bank.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by vic2010

Every one that I've used (and I've tried a bunch) have shut me down for mobile MO deposits eventually. I would not advise this.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:43 pm

is it general consensus that small credit unions are safer to use than bigger branch banks?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by GTFan
Every one that I've used (and I've tried a bunch) have shut me down for mobile MO deposits eventually. I would not advise this.
IYE, are atm deposits safer/more sustainable than mobile? I spread my stuff all over, which can get annoying, but am looking to find something that will be better for volume (I'm not concerned with mobile deposit).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:50 pm

Discover cracking down? I have a 2k per 30-day limit now.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
Discover cracking down? I have a 2k per 30-day limit now.
How do you know? Did they send you an email?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:04 am

Mg mo @ wf, penfed, chase

Unable to do mobile deposit (same for Chase and PenFed), but deposit @ WF ATM worked after the second attempt (upper edge on right hand side)but, as reported in WIKI, had to enter the amount manually.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by dublin487
How do you know? Did they send you an email?
When I enter the value of the MO I get an error that it puts me over my 2000 per rolling 30-day limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.