Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:02 pm

USAA seems to allow, never had a complaint. No limit known (did about 4k one month). Posts instantly.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:38 pm

I haven’t had any issues using Simple, and on the website they advise it as an alternative to cash deposits since they don't have physical branches. Standard front and back pictures plus deposit amount. They release $200 the next business day and the remainder the business day after. The limit is 15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). I've never had a money order or check rejected and ACH or free withdrawals at Allpoint ATMs works to get the money out.

Originally Posted by healthnut
Does anyone have any data points on how long it is taking to be "requested as a member"?
Without a referral invite it took just over 4 weeks from the time I requested an invite until I got an offer to apply.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by binnycode
USAA seems to allow, never had a complaint. No limit known (did about 4k one month). Posts instantly.
Interesting since the terms specifically say you can't deposit MOs.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by lunareze

Quote:

Does anyone have any data points on how long it is taking to be &quot;requested as a member&quot;?

Without a referral invite it took just over 4 weeks from the time I requested an invite until I got an offer to apply.
4 weeks. Killer.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:20 am

Isn't Simple something to do with PayPal? Like PayPal bought Simple or something? Just a side note.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vagrants
Isn't Simple something to do with PayPal? Like PayPal bought Simple or something? Just a side note.
I cannot find anything from a Google search. Everything just states the obvious "you can link your bank account to Simple."

I think I am going to wait the four weeks, as this seems like a great bank opportunity. I have to say, I love the personal emails you receive from the CSR's to keep you updated on your wait.

PS If anyone could refer me and possibly get this train moving a little faster, that would be great (and hopefully you receive some goodies too!).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
I cannot find anything from a Google search. Everything just states the obvious "you can link your bank account to Simple."

I think I am going to wait the four weeks, as this seems like a great bank opportunity. I have to say, I love the personal emails you receive from the CSR's to keep you updated on your wait.

PS If anyone could refer me and possibly get this train moving a little faster, that would be great (and hopefully you receive some goodies too!).
Happy to refer you if you're still looking for one - just PM me. I've been using this for a while now, never an incident.

And thanks to lunareze for pointing out the 15 deposits per month, I've been looking for that!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
doesn't work for me

Last edited by DutchRyan; Jan 27, 2014 at 9:45 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jmw
There is a thread on FW about a person who got shut down at Schwab along with the rest of the family when depositing lots of free-after-rebate checks. Not the same situation, but obviously they do look for funny business. I don't know specifically if they take MO via mobile deposit.
I deposited about 4k into Schwab in December. Just tried again last night on the mobile app and it said that it couldn't read it or something and to retry taking the pics. Took pics of the MO about 10 times and it refused to go through so I just deposited it into BoA ATM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:45 am
jk2

deleted

Last edited by jk2; Jan 28, 2014 at 4:10 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Heavily edited wiki with bits from the thread and references.
HTH
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by pier11
Heavily edited wiki with bits from the thread and references.
HTH
FABULOUS wiki, love this!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
On a side note, has anyone tried depositing MO via ATM for chase? Mine got rejected recently.
===========================
OH, no, please, don't tell me that!

Actually, mine shows up as a pending transaction right now as I successfully put it in the ATM this past Saturday. Now, I suppose it's possible it could get a manual "look-see" and then I get a letter stating, "come and get it". If so, I will take it to an alternate bank/credit union. The MO was Western Union sponsored.

As for mobile deposits, the Chase rep I spoke to briefly about my MO deposit intention, stated I could use the mobile app. Apparently, this is a no-go?

Update: All ok on the Chase homefront. Funds were in there after midnight last night!

Last edited by jan_believes; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
What is Simple?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_...ng_review.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
Interesting since the terms specifically say you can't deposit MOs.
==============================

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Mone...nkPhrase=money order deposit

Per USAA phone rep: Yes to MO at ATM. Yes to MO deposit on mobile app. HTH.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jan 27, 2014 at 11:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.