Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
From the Cardholder Agreement
- Maximum cash load each day: $999.99 (2x$500 VRs work). Limit resets at 1:00AM EST.
- Maximum loads per day: 4
- Maximum loads per month: 10
- Maximum ATM withdrawals per day: $3000
- Maximum spending per day: $3500
- Maximum monthly load limit: $5000 with VRs. Rolling 30 day period.

Cost of Service
- Initial Purchase fee: FREE
- Monthly Charge: FREE (if U use once every 90 days)

Add Money
- Direct Deposit: FREE
- Cash Reload at Retail Location: Varies by location, up to $4.95
- From Bank Account: FREE
- Check to Card via mobile app. 2% fee for printed payroll checks or government checks. 4% fee for any other check.

Get Cash
- Cash Back at Store: FREE
- From ATM: Allpoint ATMs, $2.50, Non Allpoint ATMs, $2.50
- Over the Counter Withdrawal: $25
- Request Check or One Time ACH: FREE

Spend Money
- Signature: FREE
- PIN: FREE
- Online bill pay: $0.95 per billpay. (Max Bill Pay $2500)

Information
- Automated IVR Access, Live Agent, Online Customer Service, Mobile Text Updates, Emerald Mobile Banking App, Online Statement, Paper statement upon request: FREE
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $1
- ATM Decline: $1
- Monthly Inactivity (after 2 months) $4.95 (Increased Jan. 2015, previously was $2.50 after 3 months.)
- Replacement Card: FREE, if expedited $35.

The card also has a reward feature in the form of cash back offers for certain purchase at certain stores - like AmEx Offers.

You will receive a temporary card right after your are done with your application. You can starting loading that card and use it normally. When the personalized card (if you opt in for it) comes, which will take 2-3 weeks, the card number may be changed and you need to activate the new card again (note that by activating the personalized card, the temporary card will be deactivated automatically). However, the load limit does not reset when you change from the temporary card to the personalized card.

Loads at CVS are hard-coded cash only, and have a $4.95 fee.
Print Wikipost

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 pm

When I tried to load a 3rd GDMP to this card in Sept, Green Dot gave a message that there will be no more loading to the card with GDMP since the loads have been excessive. I hadn't done much. I had loaded 500 in July, 500 in August. Was unloading through bill pay.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
When I tried to load a 3rd GDMP to this card in Sept, Green Dot gave a message that there will be no more loading to the card with GDMP since the loads have been excessive. I hadn't done much. I had loaded 500 in July, 500 in August. Was unloading through bill pay.
I guess because their targeted clients don't normally make $500 in month.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:49 pm

Just got letter in the mail from risk dept that as per the terms of the card they reserve the right to close accounts and hence my prepaid account has been terminated

Only 0.15c was left in the card account after the 5K unload last week
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Has my account been blocked?
I've had it for about 2 months now, but today the card just vanished. Whenever i try to log in to the Emerald card account, i get an error message. I still get the balance of the card when i text BAL to the Emerald card number though.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Has my account been blocked?
I've had it for about 2 months now, but today the card just vanished. Whenever i try to log in to the Emerald card account, i get an error message. I still get the balance of the card when i text BAL to the Emerald card number though.
I had the same problem, so I called in and they said my account was fine. Just systems updating.

Last edited by mrmandel; Oct 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mrmandel
I has the same problem, so I called in and they said my account was fine. Just systems updating.
Thank goodness. I almost had a heart attack lol.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:59 am

Does this card have any purpose anymore? Just looking through my inactive accounts...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:46 pm

No, it's worthless. Get rid of em.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
New Card Received, Higher Inactivity Charge

Yesterday I received a replacement(?) Emerald card, same number as the existing one. The old one does not expire until 2016, so I'm not sure why they sent a replacement...EXCEPT, that the printed T&Cs show an inactivity charge of $4.95/month after 2 months of inactivity.

I've updated the wiki, which showed the charge to be only $2.50/month.

I don't see any reason to activate this new card, or even to keep the account open.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Yesterday I received a replacement(?) Emerald card, same number as the existing one. The old one does not expire until 2016, so I'm not sure why they sent a replacement...EXCEPT, that the printed T&Cs show an inactivity charge of $4.95/month after 2 months of inactivity.

I've updated the wiki, which showed the charge to be only $2.50/month.

I don't see any reason to activate this new card, or even to keep the account open.
I got a new card in the mail, too. I can't remember if it's a replacement card or just a second card (and don't feel like digging around for the envelope right now).

I think the only point of this card is if you want to reload it via rapid reload at Walmart. But, Walmart will charge a fee (I think it's $3.44). So, it's an expensive avenue to unload.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Yeah stopped using this a long time ago but got new card in mail.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:04 am

without moneypaks in stores anymore, has anyone found a way to load this? anyone get loading at the register to work?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Anyone successful with a CVS or Walgreens register reload?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
without moneypaks in stores anymore, has anyone found a way to load this? anyone get loading at the register to work?
For the time being, we do a little ACH pull from our bank every once in a while and a transaction here and there to avoid monthly charges. Hoping for new load opportunities to become available.....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:08 pm

So I just got this email:

We want to let you know about a brand new feature on your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard®. You may now link a debit card to your Emerald Card account and add money instantly. Best of all – we do not charge you a fee to use this feature¹!
To link a debit card, follow these simple steps:
1. Log in to Emerald Online
2. Select the “Debit Card Funding” tab on the “My Money On” widget
3. Select the “Link My Debit Card” button
4. Enter the required information.
That’s it. Now you can start funding your Emerald Card from your debit card using Emerald Online. No waiting – just the money you need, when you need it.

Unfortunately I am without any VGC, but this could get interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.