Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Well, I decided to jump in and see how it worked. Got some good information, and the best is that it can be easily used for MS.

Once I got to the store, picked up the card and called the number on the package to better understand the product (before I bought it). Especially considering was that the fees on the package were different from what is on their website.

Here's the skinny. They have two different fee programs which you can choose from when you register the card. 5.95/month as is stated on the package doesn't allow for free ATM WDs. The 9.95/month program as is stated on the website includes the free ATM WDs. Talking to the CSR, the monthly maintenance fee is charged the first time 1 month after purchase (unlike PP which charges almost immediately). Also, the max load at the store is 500, not the 950 stated on the website. Asked the CSR if there was a problem having more than one card (since it seemed that it needed to be registered) and she it was unlimited.

All that sounded good, so I took it to the register, put the club card number in and half the fee went away just like it was supposed to.

Couldn't get the website registration to work on my phone, so I called the number. Input card number, expiration date and initial load amount and was immediately able to set a PIN! The next question asks if you want additional benefits by getting a personalized card which you can answer no to....and then you're done!! Card is fully ready to be used and PIN is active. Drained it about 1.5 hours later.
Did it print an additional coupon after u purchased the first one?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:29 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Will this print an additional coupon after the purchase for next time? Is this like the previous 10 off 100 safeway/vons deal?
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Did it print an additional coupon after u purchased the first one?
There is no coupon, it is a Just4U online deal.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:06 am

If anyone has had any luck with MOs, please let us know.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:19 am

Thanks for all the valuable in this thread. I'm excited to try this. This will be $1 cheaper than the gift cards even without the special offer. (which I have BTW). I also have a special "spend $60 get 50 cents off per gallon" reward on my J4U. Hopefully the cashiers will accept a CC as payment.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
For those looking to jump on the PayPower deal that is also running, I've done a little poking around and I for one think I am going to skip it. Found numerous pretty horrible reports of cards being frozen, funds being held, failure to verify identity, etc

http://creditcardforum.com/visa-mast...r-problem.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...22.html?page=3
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

who is this guy on the univision prepaid card website and why is he scolding me for doing something very naughty?

http://www.univisiontarjeta.com/en/
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
The guy is saying "cuidado, Bancorp está mirando."
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
who is this guy on the univision prepaid card website and why is he scolding me for doing something very naughty?

http://www.univisiontarjeta.com/en/
It appears to be Don Francisco from Sabado Gigante
http://www.univision.com/talentos/don-francisco

(or at least that's what Google's image search says)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

listen all im saying is, of all pepole, why is he trying to sell me a prepaid card. this is univision, of which i am a big fan even though i do not know a word of spanish because i like the pictures. knowing what i know about univision, i would fully expect a scantily clad beautiful mexican girl to sell me the card, and i would of course would apply immediately since i am a sucker for scantily clad beautiful latin women.
but this guy looks like hes old enough to be my grandpas grandpa, and hes wearing more makeup than my grandma, and instead of smiling and presenting the card, he looks like hes about to warn me and threaten me that i better not load any VR purchased with a CC on his prepaid card or engage in any other type of MS monkey business. what kind of marketing is this for heavens sake, why did univision do away with the busty hot mexican girls? am i the only person who feels this way?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:10 pm
jmw

Yeah, I'm surprised that they used that pose. It seems like he is scolding me for buying a prepaid card and not watching his show on Saturday night even though I don't understand much Spanish. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to get into a major financial investment with Don Lapre or Tom Vu just because they are surrounded with hot women. If you're selling beer, sure. Are the hot women going to hang around you because you're sporting a Univision prepaid card instead of a real credit card?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:17 pm

Worked at a Safeway affiliate in Houston. Loaded $500. Called to set pin (no personal info needed) and cashed out as a $0.89 money order at the same store. Done. $4.95 fee is better than VGC.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:49 pm

Glad to hear that people are able to pay for the univision prepaid card with a CC. Whenever I buy $500 or more in GC, the cashier needs manager override, then manager comes and asks why and they tell the manager that I bought a GC. I hope that does not attract unnecessary action.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by rossrr
Worked at a Safeway affiliate in Houston. Loaded $500. Called to set pin (no personal info needed) and cashed out as a $0.89 money order at the same store. Done. $4.95 fee is better than VGC.
They have just4u in Houston too which is where most of this benefit is...
2.47 off +
16.00 off fuel approx

Got one at self checkout, then one at regular lane, then Wm'd 1500 (other 500 was for Freedom Q1 5X) to 2 BBs (cashier didn't care at all).

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Jan 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:49 pm

I just got this card and I tried to withdraw the cash at an ALLpoint ATM and it says please contact the bank. Anyone facing this? I called in to activate the card as soon as I got it and set the pin and i opted no for all the personalisations and now I am unable to withdraw from an ATM? And looks like they have a really bad customer service and no one seems to be responding in the call. How long have we got to wait after activation? Any ideas?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:50 pm

Another 4 purchased, registered and liquidated to BB within an hour. Fuel points on all of them, granted the points are now on 4 separate club cards....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.